User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 797
Max Dumaz European Plonker Tour Solo

Max Dumaz. That would be me. Plonker? Pretty much means the same thing. European Tour. Well that starts in about 21 days. My ride? 2011 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Solo- sans anybody I actually know.

My bike ships via air freight next Tuesday. That in itself was a trip. After exhausting all other options to buy a bike in London and ride it through Europe for a few months and then sell it, I just finally gave up due to all the red tape, (bullshit), and decided to ship my own bike via air, another story again, to start my adventure in London and return from there in about two or three months, or until my visa runs out.

Max Dumaz, just as it sounds if you're an American. "Du-may" if you're not. It's my "professional" name for my photography biz. Maximilian Augustus Dumaz. "Max Dumb-Ass Designs" or Mad Max. Anyway, that's me. The European "Plonker" Tour was applied since apparently " An American Idiot on a Motorcycle tours Europe Solo had already been taken. Who knew? So...the "plonker" moniker fit just fine. So, on June 15th, the plonker tours Europe.

Pics, stories, ride route, conquests, and friends made along the way will be posted here. This is an English language site, so it may be my main communication other than Google translate. Wish me luck and fair weather.

See you on the road. Jerry a.k.a. Max Dumaz

Motomochila screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 03:01 PM
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Web blog set up and almost ready for the first pictorials. Spent Memorial Day building a platform and crate for the bike; 2011 R1200 GS Adventure. Four days to ship and three weeks to departure.

http://www.maxdumaz.com

Hope to see a few inmates in Europe on the road.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm shipping my KTM 990 Adventure out of the Los Angeles area this Friday with Schumacher Logistics and arrive in Rotterdam on July 6th to start my ride from The Netherlands, hopefully reaching New Zealand six or seven months later. Perhaps we can rendezvous some where in France or Spain in July as a make my way south to meet my girlfriend in Morocco by August 2nd.

Gurupurkha, a.ka. "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Web blog set up and almost ready for the first pictorials. Spent Memorial Day building a platform and crate for the bike; 2011 R1200 GS Adventure. Four days to ship and three weeks to departure.

Hope to see a few inmates in Europe on the road.
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

My bags are packed, I'm ready to go...

Two more days and my bike ships off to London via Schumacher Cargo Logistics. Mutha Fa..., there sure is a lot of paperwork required to get a motorcycle to Europe. Sheet, there is a lot of paperwork just to get my but to Europe; Insurance on the motorcycle, insurance on me- in case I biff, insurance on the flight, on the air shipment of the motorcycle, insurance on my stuff. that not include on the insurance for the motorcycle or me. International drivers license, 4- copies of my US based motorcycle insurance- just in case the European "Green Card" insurance doesn't believe I have enough insurance. 10- letters- notarized to prove I have medical evacuation insurance in case I biff. One for every country I plan to visit. My passport- yea that a given. Now for the manifest- for shipping my bike- 2 copies. Proof I packed my motorcycle in the crate myself- photo proof. A letter stating my purpose of shipping a motorcycle to Europe- Original signature required, and it must match the signature on my passport to be valid. Yep, I got an email requesting this too. Hey at least Schumacher is being thorough to ensure I actually get my motorcycle to London. No guarantees beyond that- that's my job.....fudgecicle.....

So here she is. Did I forget anything? Now If I can just remember to get on the plane on June 18th.

..and of course, the tools.

..and just in case I don't get a room at the Inn.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Bike is on the way to London. Next post, I will be there myself getting my GSA back together and ready for Europe.

There she goes.

Motomochila screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 01:22 PM
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
krucymucy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Subscribed. Maybe we'll meet somewhere ... grab a beer or something.
krucymucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
I'm shipping my KTM 990 Adventure out of the Los Angeles area this Friday with Schumacher Logistics and arrive in Rotterdam on July 6th to start my ride from The Netherlands, hopefully reaching New Zealand six or seven months later. Perhaps we can rendezvous some where in France or Spain in July as a make my way south to meet my girlfriend in Morocco by August 2nd.

Gurupurkha, a.ka. "G"
Hey G, I will be in the Netherlands before you get there, but somewhere in Poland or Austria during the 2nd week of July. Keep in touch. Maybe connect in Rome or Venice.

Have fun

Jerry, a.k.a. Max Dumaz
Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by krucymucy View Post
Subscribed. Maybe we'll meet somewhere ... grab a beer or something.
What side of the world are ya hailing from?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Max Dumaz. That would be me. Plonker? Pretty much means the same thing. European Tour. Well that starts in about 21 days. My ride? 2011 BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Solo- sans anybody I actually know.

My bike ships via air freight next Tuesday. That in itself was a trip. After exhausting all other options to buy a bike in London and ride it through Europe for a few months and then sell it, I just finally gave up due to all the red tape, (bullshit), and decided to ship my own bike via air, another story again, to start my adventure in London and return from there in about two or three months, or until my visa runs out.

Max Dumaz, just as it sounds if you're an American. "Du-may" if you're not. It's my "professional" name for my photography biz. Maximilian Augustus Dumaz. "Max Dumb-Ass Designs" or Mad Max. Anyway, that's me. The European "Plonker" Tour was applied since apparently " An American Idiot on a Motorcycle tours Europe Solo had already been taken. Who knew? So...the "plonker" moniker fit just fine. So, on June 15th, the plonker tours Europe.

Pics, stories, ride route, conquests, and friends made along the way will be posted here. This is and English language site, so it may be my main communication other than google translate. Wish me luck and fair weather.

See you on the road. Jerry a.k.a. Max Dumaz
Nice! Subscribed for more. Keep it up :)
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
krucymucy
Adventurer

Quote:
What side of the world are ya hailing from?
Central Europe, Slovenia.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

London's calling

Arrived in London yesterday. My bike landed last week. Only problem is it didn't get to the intended destination I had planned and paid for. They say its only an adventure when something goes wrong. Well, let the adventure begin...

My bike was to be delivered from the freight forwarders to a BMW dealership in London. Problem was, they didn't have a forklift to remove it from the truck. It was still in the crate. So..the dealer refused it and back to the warehouse it went. 177.00 later. Today I grab a taxi to find the warehouse, 120.00. When I get there I must reattach a few items removed for shipping. Oops, there's a few parts missing. I packed the damn motorcycle so I know I put all the parts in the crate. Unfortunately the guy who unpacked it forgot to look through the skin wrap. Winglets and bolts missing so off to the dealer who was supposed to unpack the crate and put my GSA back together. Of course it's not in stock so another day and 345.00 for a hotel, day number two. F'ing A, London is expensive. Can't wait to get the hell outta here and on the road. Pics and posts as I find my way to who knows where.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

"Fec" in rain

Holy sheeet Batman, rain sucks! Four days in Europe and its been raining since I got to London. I left for Calais hoping to cross the Chunnel and head north to Brussels. OK... I shoulda listened to the weatherman. Hey, back in the US, he's always wrong where I come from. Wanted to stop only a million times to take some pictures but the constant downpour has gotten me down a bit. At least the French highways are easy to navigate; Not that I wanted to ride highways...but when it's constantly raining, scenic byways are the last thing on my mind.

In Paris and its still raining. Got to the Eiffel Tower just in time for the sun to break, for about fifteen minutes, and the deluge starts again. Yea I know, if I don't start taking some really good pictures, this thread will die quickly. I'm working on it, honest! Holed up in Paris for a few days, ( yea I know that sucks too), until the weather changes a bit so I can hop on a few passes over the alps. If any inmates in the neighborhood are in the neighborhood and want to run a few passes in the alps, give me a holler, until then I'm stuck since the weather is as cold and windy as it's been, I don't want to take the chance of snow on the passes. Been told its happened a few times in the past week. The goal is to run over the top down the east side of Italy since my original plans to go east to Germany have been quashed by global warming. Been told this weather pattern of constant rain and cold is expected in Northern Europe for the next ten years. Just my "feckin" luck...ll
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
krucymucy
Adventurer

What's your plan for the next weekend. Me and my friends are planing to go in Italian alps for a few days. On Saturday we'll be riding Stelvio and Gavia pass.

If it stops raining that is.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
krucymucy
Adventurer

Well, today even started snowing in high alpine passes ...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 AM   #15
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I am subscribed and looking forward to pics and reports. Any plans to make it to Ireland?
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote