Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Caerleon9176 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wink Old Fart's Ozzy Tour 2013 - Need local help in planning

Hi,

I am for my 40th escaping the UK for a completely mad tour Coast to Coast from Perth WA to Sydney via Melbourne/Wodonga (or in reverse). Along the route i would like to drop in on my distant family whom i have never met and have 4 weeks total to do the entire trip in (hopefully this is sufficient!).

I am planning hiring a GS1200 to do the trip, but want to save some costs so will be wild camping along the route. The last tour of a desert was during the Gulf War, so have no problem with desert survival and hopefully this time someone wont be shooting at me, happy to wild camp.

Can anyone give me more local advice on best places to stay along the route 1. I think the fuel stops and roadhouses are every 200km's along the route are sufficient so i shouldnt run out and any good biking roads or a website that lists the routes and any bike friendly B&B's in Oz.

Would it be better to hire a bike or buy one and sell it at the other end? I know this happens with cars, but not sure about bikes. Or if anyone can suggest another option to get two wheels for approximately a month.

Insurance if i go with the 'buy it, ride it like you stole it, flog it route' - here in the UK you have to jump thru hoops and do everything online, but in Oz - i need a rego? the reg document for the vehicle, but without understanding other requirements do i also need an annual test certificate or any other local taxes for using the roads?

I looked at the temp import route, but that is more than the cost of the bike i have (R1100RT).

Thanks for your help in advance,
C
Caerleon9176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Hi mate

Sounds like an awesome trip. Im unsure who has quoted you on bringing your own bike but contact JohnLeggit at EDI john@edicustoms.com These guys bring a lot of stuff in from the UK and will be able to offer you a competitive quote. (Im not associated with them in anyway besides being a customer)

Hiring a bike and going one way will be difficult as the bike will most likely need to get back to the point of hire. Cost to ship a bike coast to coast is roughly $1100.

Buying a bike and then selling it at the end can work if there is someone that can help you sell it when its time to leave. Registration in Australia is state based though so selling it intrerstate means canncelling the rego on it, getting a Safety Certificate (MOD - I think) and then rego in that state although a new buyer could do that. As I understand it only NSW has annual inspections??

When you regsiter a bike here you are forced to pay 3rd party insurance which covers the injuries to others involved in an accident. You'll need additional insurance if you want to cover the other parties vehicle damage (3rd party damage) or get comprehensive cover which covers your bike and all of the above.

There are a few businesses that do "buy back" schemes as I understand it - hopefully someone else can chime in.

Are you deadset keen on going cross country as a month cruising the east coast and inland of Australia would be awesome and allow you to return to the place you started easing some issues as described above. Will be a cheaper ticket to get to and from here as well.

panhead_pete screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:48 PM
panhead_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
cameronp
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Are you deadset keen on going cross country as a month cruising the east coast and inland of Australia would be awesome and allow you to return to the place you started easing some issues as described above. Will be a cheaper ticket to get to and from here as well.
I'm inclined to agree there. There's 2700km of desert with not much to see between Perth and Adelaide, a bit of interesting stuff to see around Perth and Adelaide, and then not very much in the ~ 800km between Adelaide and Melbourne until you reach the Great Ocean Road. It will definitely give you a sense of the vast distances in Australia, but may not be the most fun way to spend a month here. (And I say that as someone originally from Perth who's always eager to defend his home city. It's a great place but it's a long way away from everything else, and the distances involved in touring WA are vast.)

There's a lot more to see and more fun roads to ride between Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. If you've got a month here, you could easily spend it on the east coast, maybe pushing up to Cairns if you're coming in winter (the dry season in the tropics - having said that when I toured Cairns and Northern Queensland I did it in the wet season, but I'm a bit mad) or spending time in the high country if you're coming closer to summer. And whatever you do, plan your route between Melbourne and Sydney to spend as little time on the Hume Freeway as possible. Most of the coastal route along the Princes Highway isn't much better, though the towns along the way are nicer.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Russ

Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronp View Post
I'm inclined to agree there. There's 2700km of desert with not much to see .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888281
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
cameronp
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
That's not on the way from Perth to Adelaide!

As far as I know, the only practical options heading east from Perth are across the Nullarbor to SA, or the Great Central Road to NT.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
In regards buying a bike for your trip.

If you went down that track in NSW "ON A NEW" bike you would be free of annual rego inspections for the first 5 years.
I know your not here for that long but it makes a sale back to a dealer in NSW more attractive.
You could arrange via the dealer network to have it sold in WA on consignment.

West to East or vis versa has a lot to offer and after all its only two days comfortable riding from Norsman to Ceduna for anyone... then you could run down to Port Lincoln back up the east side then round to Adelaide. Follow the coast road round to Victorias Western district pick up the west end of the GOR follow it east through Melbourne to Gippsland. Look in the snowy round the east coast and up.

Nothing wrong with the bit in the middle either.

gateman screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:02 PM
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Russ

Oddometer: 16,101
The desert is beautiful between Perth and Adelaide, but some don't see it that way.
Have a great trip which ever way you go.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYDADVGS View Post
The desert is beautiful between Perth and Adelaide,

You just have to stop and take it all in.

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
PBee

Oddometer: 8,713
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree there. There's 2700km of desert with not much to see between Perth and Adelaide
Yeah, I'm with you.....fuck all to see

Nothing to see, might as well fly....

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
There is always the Nullabour golf course if you're that way inclined.

http://www.nullarborlinks.com/
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
Yep nothing to see over here, the Nullabor is crap. Never ever want to ride it again.

Can we leave tomorrow? ?

Seems like some folks have an aversion to riding long distances on big touring bikes, honestly just stick to your orinal plan.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
cameronp
n00b

Wow, my comment about the Nullarbor certainly stirred up a hornet's nest I wasn't expecting. PBee, those pictures are fantastic!

On a more positive/helpful note: If you're starting in Perth, don't forget to check out south-west on the way. Margaret River wine region, karri forests around Pemberton, Stirling Ranges near Albany. The road from Balingup to Nannup is 60km of glorious bends and very little traffic, and there's a good cidery nearby at Bridgetown. Apparently someone built a replica of Stonehenge near Esperance that might be worth checking out, too.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree there. There's 2700km of desert with not much to see between Perth and Adelaide, ....

What a comment, coming from someone who says they're "adv curious" (another thread). Be more curious, look around a bit more.

There's so much to see when riding across any of the areas of central Australian, all the more interesting & rewarding for someone visiting from UK/Europe.

To the OP: Be prepared & allow the time to venture down some side tracks & roads, there's so much to discover & see.

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.
Dave Ward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #14
Caerleon9176 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wow thanks for the responses guys!

I am aware of the distances and without the ball and chain in tow i think i can comfortably do the distance in more than the time allowed. I think i had originally planned one day to do 600 kms i think i need to revise that with several rest days in between to be more realistic.

Thanks again guys!
Caerleon9176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
Not much room for visitors . . . .

Wherever you go, Enjoy!
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote