Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Harry Potter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Would you trade an 07 F650GS for a TR650?

Terra TR650 owners is this bike so good that you would trade a very nice F650GS single to get one? I've read the Husky Terra TR650 specs are better than the Dakar and Sertao but is the actual bike a real dual sport upgrade? Knowing that is is now a discontiued one year bike with limited used and maybe new parts availability would you still buy one today? Thanks for your time.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Terra TR650 owners is this bike so good that you would trade a very nice F650GS single to get one? I've read the Husky Terra TR650 specs are better than the Dakar and Sertao but is the actual bike a real dual sport upgrade? Knowing that is is now a discontiued one year bike with limited used and maybe new parts availability would you still buy one today? Thanks for your time.
Got rid of a KTM 640e, KTM 690 and a BMW 1200 GSA to wind up with a Terra and a DRZ400e -----

Yes, would still buy today, probably the Strada for a grand less than I paid in January: many of the parts on your bike fit the Husky. Given how much better this bike is than most 650s, how well it has sold, I think a version will be around for a long while.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I think the Terra is a great bike and would most likely out preform any of the BMW 650's out there today as a true dual sport bike. One exception would be the 2007 BMW 650 (X-Challenge) and possibly the 2007-2009 (X-Country). These two bikes are a lot like the Terra and the Strada and the BMW's weight is 336 dry, not sure what the Huskies are. These BMW's didn't sell well at the time, but today especially the X-Challenge is a hot seller used and it's easy to sell a nice one in the $5000-6000 dollar range. The success of the Terra should tell BMW something and bring back the 650 X-Challenge, because who know if there will be a new Terra or Strada in 2014. I have owned a 2001 BMW 650 Dakar and enjoyed the bike for both on and off road riding, but no single track riding. The standard 650GS was not to my liking because of it's size and feel, mainly because I'm 6'1" and 230lbs., the Dakar's and Sertao's just have that dual sport feeling and would be a much better road bike, they weight around 425lbs. which gives them a better highway ride, but feel lighter off road then say a KLR 650 of equal weight. All are very good bikes, just pick the one that fits your body and ride. Dual sport riding is different things to different riders, you need to pick the bike that fits your riding style. Looking at the list of bikes you own, you might try the WR250R or the CRF250L, if more off road riding is what you want, these bikes are doing the TAT, Continental Divide, Forever West rides, not great highway cruisers, but fun off road for sure.

John

trainman screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:58 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
I went with the Terra. I like the extra power, I like the less weight. I do not need a windscreen and ABS. I like my headlight to turn with the bars. When I get to a cliff at night, I do not need to break out a handheld spotlight to survey my route.

BMW puts street tires on their dual purpose bikes, that should be the indicator.

BMW did not sell the Terra and Srada to Peirer.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
The F650/G650 are simply heavy pigs, the Terra and Strada are too but at least they have a better engine with a lot more power!

My vote goes to Husky if you want new, or a used X-Challenge or X-Country because they are so much lighter and there are lots of good aftermarket parts available for them.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Harry Potter OP
Adventurer

Thanks very much for the replies. All very good comments.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
[QUOTE=snailrider;21474221 BMW did not sell the Terra and Srada to Peirer.[/QUOTE]

Snail - was wondering about the status of the Terra/Strada - do you have a cite to a source for this? Thanks
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
snailrider
Prostpector

I got my info from the dealers mouth so to speak. Status on future Strada and Terra is unknown. Probably will not see anymore. In the deal, BMW has to support them for 10 years from what is being talked about. 2 year production run of one of the most highly acclaimed bikes.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
is this bike so good that you would trade a very nice F650GS single to get one?
It would take me about one heartbeat to say Yes.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
snailrider
Prostpector

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
Harry Potter OP
Adventurer

Thanks again for the additional replies. TRAINMAN you are on the right track, I do have a WR250R in the stable and it fills a nich very well. My 07 F650GS is my least fun, leasted used bike. I could just sell it, hope that someday my wife will graduate to it from a TW200, or trade it in on a Terra TR650. I think my son's VStrom does dirt work better than my F650GS. The WR250R and 2011 R1200GS could easily be the only two bikes I need as I get closer to 60. Something in the middle like the Terra just seems like a good idea. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
thanks. that's the best insight to date.
no mention either direction if the TR goes away completely or the package evolves quickly with a new motor.
he does mention a problem with BMW engine-based bikes and diag equip.

there is talk elsewhere on ADV that Berg is going away but it sure does NOT sound that way.
sounds like Berg and Husky will actually be sold together as they both share Swedish heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailrider View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:05 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
there is talk elsewhere on ADV that Berg is going away but it sure does NOT sound that way.
sounds like Berg and Husky will actually be sold together as they both share Swedish heritage.
This is not talk, it's a fact.

2014 is the last year for Husaberg as a brand, although their technology (=KTM) will heavily influence the upcoming Huskies.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
This is not talk, it's a fact.

2014 is the last year for Husaberg as a brand, although their technology (=KTM) will heavily influence the upcoming Huskies.
Oh yeah?
Has Pierer said that elsewhere and after this article? That article above seems to say otherwise (top of 2nd column) that both will exist side by side?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

This was released to the press more than a week ago, just read some news sites or check the Husaberg website.