User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
First trip out on my KLR

I bought my KLR 11 days ago, its my first bike and I've been enjoying the snot out of it. I was planning on running a portion of the Peak to Peak on Monday as my first longer trip, but a buddy of mine is coming back from Northern CA and after riding there and back he's a bit lonely. He called me up and said if I meet him in Green River, WY he'll pay for the hotel and beers, so off I go to ride almost 350 miles solo and then back home with him the next morning.

The steed, freshly painted and farkled with premium ammo can panniers

The ROUTE

The plan is to leave my house at 11:00 am and be there just in time for dinner. So far I've put 500 miles on my bike since I bought it 11 days ago, I'm comfortable on it and have already experienced rain, wind, and dirt roads. Now to see how my arse will fare and go for a real ride. I'll post up pics and updates as I go.

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 06:52 PM
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

I decided that as I was going on a longer ride I should install the T-Bob kit I had sitting on my tool box. I had meant to do it when I pulled off the plastics for paint but got lazy, so here we go.

Instead of pulling the exhaust as per the instructions I decided to "flat-rate" it and only move the over-flow tank out of the way.

Almost there

And done. It took me all of 30 minutes to do, we'll see tomorrow if it leaks or not.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

All ready to go, I just have to make a quick stop in Loveland on my way out.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Well the trip was going great, but now I'm in WY waiting on the wife to get me and load the bike into the truck.

First the good stuff.

I went up through Loveland and Fort Collins w/o any issues. It was slightly over cast but nice and warm still. I made it up to Ted's Place on HWY-287 just north of Fort Collins. It's an old fuel stop and I frequent it often when wheeling and camping along Poudre Canyon.

Got the bike fueled up, after some math it was showing 57.4mpg over the last 220 miles. Awesome. I also decided to have some lunch, it was a feast worthy of champions.

One last picture and I'm on my way. I thought it was a nice scene.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

After Ted's Place I continued up HWY-287 towards Laramie, WY. It was starting to get colder so I threw my hoodie on under my riding jacket.

I settled into a nice groove holding the throttle at 5000rpm for an indicated 70 MPH until I came upon some construction.

This is my "stupid construction" face

Continuing along my Journey it started getting colder and foggy. I was contemplating pulling over to throw on my Army Issue wet weather cost and pants when I saw this sweet old post office/diner. I've drive this road several times and never noticed it.

I then threw on the gear, you can kind of see it in the reflection.

I was glad I did suit up because it suddenly got really cold and foggy. One draw back to the "wheat whacker" mod is that the vent for my helmet's face shield doesn't get enough air flow and the shield fogs up a bit. I can just barely crack it open and solve the issue so its not too bad. I also have to say the Army wet weather gear works great. I stayed warm, dry, and comfy.

Wyoming!!!

I made it to Laramie and the sun came back up. Unfortunately it was ridiculously windy too. I was half side saddling the bike to keep it straight.

Parked at an abandoned fuel stop to stretch for a minute.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
This is my "stupid construction" face

I understand!

Sounds like the shakedown run shook something down?
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Unfortunately about 15 miles down the road as I was passing a tractor trailer at 75 MPH I caught a huge gust of wind and started getting very bad wobble in my front tire/handle bars. If it had been my jeep I'd have called it death wobble. I tried slowing down and moved to the side of the road so the truck driver wouldn't hit me but the wobble got worse and worse. Feeling I was about to lose it I aimed for the field and started praying.

Here is the result of that experience.

The same truck drive pulled over and helped me up. He also called 911 for me. By the time the EMT's rolled up I was walking around and gathering bits of bike. They looked me over and said I was good enough to where they wouldn't force me to go to the hospital. The WY Highway Patrol officer then gave me a ride to the Petro Truck Stop in Laramie, WY where I'm waiting on the wife. I've got some road rash on my lower back and my left shin, I'm also really stiff and sore but otherwise fine.

I had full coverage on the bike and will be getting another one. It'll be a dual sport although to be honest it might not be another KLR. I enjoyed the hell out of it while I had it, and definitely don't blame the bike at all. I just know the people I ride with and where I want to go a more highway friendly bike would be best. I've been contemplating the V-Strom, F800GS, or similar. I'm not looking for a fast bike, just something more street biased. Still, I haven't fully given up on the old girl yet. It was running great up until the wreck and while I know I'm very lucky it's obviously a sad day for me.

Oh, wife just got here and said I have to get a bigger bike. Hey, at least she said I can get one. :)
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
myorangecrayon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Great trip until the bike took a nap, glad to hear you're alright! I wasn't clear from the description of the wreck, was the wobble solely due to the wind, or was there some sort of mechanical failure? Did the wind just blow you off the road pretty much?

Don't know what bikes you're looking at, but my Honda NC700X is rather highway friendly and gets great gas mileage. Ridiculously customizable as well. Ride safe!
myorangecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
DaveWave
It is what it is.

Oddometer: 41
Wow!

Glad to hear you are OK! This is not the first time I have heard of someone getting surprised by a gust of wind from passing a big rig. Good luck in your search for the next bike.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Man, I was all into the story. Didn't see that coming. Glad you are ok.
Swap the bike and keep the wife.
She seems nice and understanding, unless of course she has a million dollar term insurance on you
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what caused the wobble. It just barely did it on 287 when I got over zealous on a straight away but it went away when I slid up against the tank and put more weight up front. My panniers didn't have much in them but I'm wondering if their weight too far back led to is. Looking back I'm thinking I should have use the rear brakes only to slow down. The wobble got worse as I slowed down and the worse it got the more front brake I squeezed.

It was a used bike with over 21,000 miles on it soba mechanical issue might have been a factor but I had been going over the bike the last 11 days since I bought it.

I definitely want another adventure-tourer/dual sport. I honesty don't think a heavier bike would've made much difference but if it'll make the wife happy and let me keep riding w/o having to get a divorce then so be it. An 08+ KLR is high on my radar but I doubt she'll go for it.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
cuonawv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
the worse it got the more front brake I squeezed.

"Squeezed" - I bet your MSF rider coach is VERY happy right now..

Dang, I was really looking forward to this read..

No worries, this eventually happens to most of us - you just got it out of the way very early on..

Pick up your bike, dust yourself off and learn from it.. -

If I were you, I would grab another <07 KLR - you already have a great parts bike

Glad to see you're alright - hang in there.

2012 F800GS

cuonawv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:15 PM
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
The death wobble combo...

I used to own two KLR's and had similar (minus the crash) experiences. Worn or loose head bearings, high winds and large panniers = the death wobble. Top heavy bike doesn't help things.

Glad you suvived!

Hope you find a bike you like.

Ride safe!

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
Weight vs. suspension set up. Glad you are ok. Sag is crucial with weighted bike. Holy Crap! Could have been a lot worse. Like you said, not the bikes fault, she is rebuildable. Re spring bike to your weight, get rid of the stock sail (fender) and ALWAYS be wary of jet wash (big trucks)..Glad you are still with us!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
glad you're alright!

keep us posted!
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote