Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #31
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
And if anybody gives you crap about 'the right way to control a wobble', just tell them where to stick it. Some people think they know what a real death wobble is, but unless it took them down they have NO IDEA.

I call BS

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #32
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I call BS
I wasn't going to go there (I agree with you), but it would be a disservice to ignore wisdom and experience.

Include an upgraded shock and spring in the next KLR farkling and the situation should be greatly improved and make for a longer trip with more pics. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749

scarysharkface screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:53 PM
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Dutch, glad to hear you're OK.

Luckily, I've never had the "wobble" happen. I have spent a lot of time on the slab and can say that the KLR is not what you want for faster highway travel. You can do it, but it wears you out and the fun factor goes down fast. You're also at the mercy of the wind. Crosswinds are a beast.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #34
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
In trying to figure out the next bike. I'm thinking V-Strom 650 Adventure but I'm not sure. I'm also looking at the Super Tenere and F800GS. Not sure I want that large of a bike.

I was planning on doing a 685 kit and had a 16 tooth gear on the way for the KLR. I don't mind only doing 70. The bike was perfectly comfortable and enjoyable up until I hit I-80 and the 40mph cross winds.

Personally I'd be all over a new KLR but the wife isn't going for it. She wants me to get a bigger bike. Actually she wants me to get a cruiser but I just don't want one.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
scarysharkface
30-125

V-Strom 650 is one great bike.

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
I don't know how they let that bike out of the factory for what, 26 years, like that. I thought my '09 was great until the first time I took it on the interstate. Hit about 72, and it was all over. Like hitting a brick wall it would instantly go into a crazy tankslapper. I was able to gather it up, but I it was definitely uncool.

I put more aerodynamic hand guards on, a KTM supermoto fender, fork brace, tire pressure, tightened the hell out of the head bearings tried everything I could think of. It was drastically improved, but never really went away.

That bike is fine for a beater, or slow back roads, but its hard for me to take a KLR seriously especially after buying one new, farkeling it to death, and seeing what they are all about. As my wife likes to point out, I probably spent more on that bike that I purchased my BMW for.

If I were to do the thumper thing again I'd be tempted to go with a DR650. They have a few issues of their own, but it is the bike of choice for most of the guys I have ridden with who genuinely know what they are doing.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I posted the following on another thread. It may be of interest to some readers here too.

"Sorry to hear this. You put a lot of time and love into that ride!

This is the 3rd such event I have heard of. The other two were air-lifted out!

Soon after getting my KLR in 08 I nearly sold it in disgust. I aborted a 1500m ride after 200miles due to the instability. I was comparing it to my rock solid BMW.

The advice given on the various sites were all related to bearing adjustment, pre-load front anbd back, sag, tire pressures, tire types, front fender, wings on the bars and on and on. They may all be contributors to some degree and I modified and adjusted it accordingly - although nothing was out at the time. I beleived that there was something else more fundamentally wrong.

Here are the eventual conclusions I came too;
1. The frame flexes excessively from the head backwards. Loaded with heavy panniers, standing still you can simulate the 'tank slapper', tail wag and frame flexability by moving the bars quickly,
2. In certain wind conditions, direction and speeds an unstable set of vortices comes off the back of the bike. These create pulsing forward that then plays into # 1.

Over the last 50K's, through the very windy and thermal laden West Texas, the 50-60 mph side winds approaching Glacia NP in upper Montana-as examples, this is how I manage the above;

1. Know and understand when these conditions exist or can be created. Winds and side winds over 20mph. Speeds at or approaching 80mph. Large vehicles moving at speed create a large bow wave and or corresponding low pressure area in the lee.
2. If overtaking a vehicle move over and away as far as you can and then some to get out of their wake.
3. If the occilations begin, slowly back off.
4. Avoid a deathgrip or the temptaion to try to steer out of it.
5. Move your body weigh as far forward on the seat in anticipation that you can.
6. Understand and anticipate the possibility and ride accordingly before it begins.

While not as solid as other makes in windly conditions, the fact that I still have the KLR , do many 800m+ days and it is my choice for long distance riding is testament that I now have it manageable and stable enough."
Do you think that the rear spring sag has a lot to do with it as well as some have said? Mine is lowered which makes the spring even softer than ever and I almost always carry a load.
I've had the "wobble" enough times now to have gone from scared shitless to somewhat used to it and able to anticipate and therefore gradually ease out of it before it gets too bad - gradual and slow easing off of the throttle seems to be the key.
I definitely thought I was going down though the first couple of times! There aren't a lot of hay fields to ride into where I live - just steep hills covered in big hard trees and vertical drops into water.
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #38
scarysharkface
30-125

I know that a fork brace and stiffer rear spring make it a substantially different bike. Mine does not tank-slap anymore with a load on back, and it used to before the changes. Mine is an '06 and I've ridden it a few places.

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 05-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

So to update a bit. My father in law brought the bike over and its back in my garage. I also got a call from the Doctor that treated me in the ER and she said that after further review of the X-rays it looks like I have a hair line fracture in my pelvis. They're not going to put me in a cast, but it'll obviously take that much longer to heal. I also talked more with Geico and will have an adjuster out here shortly to look at the bike.

Some road rash pics my wife took this morning. Its healing up nicely.

Shin

Love handle, if you want to lose them I don't recommend a 50+ MPH slide across a field. It doesn't work that well.

Here are some pics of my helmet. Its a little beat up, but it did the jobe well. As I previously said, I'm getting the exact same one.

Can't really see it in the pic but the top of the helmet is scratched up pretty good

My internal sun shield came partially undone, I'm missing the front vent, and its a bit tweaked. Still, considering I hit the ground between 50 and 60 MPH with 4 separate impact points showing I was bouncing along and not just sliding I would say the helmet held up well.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #40
Karl G.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
DutchVDub, sorry to hear about you're get off. I hope you recover fully and quickly!

The proper response to headshake is acceleration ( hard to do when your in the moment and scared). This issue is common to road racing and dirt riding. The cure is proper suspension adjustment and a stearing dampener. Keep the bike level (ish) and headshake is usually not that much of an issue.

If you haven't had the chance yet, I would suggest Kieth Code's "Twist of the wrist." There are two and I recommend both.

I'm very happy that you are ok hope for the best in your riding future.
Karl G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the Gore-Tex wet weather gear I was wearing. It worked great in the cold/fog/mist I ran into on HWY-287. It also held up well to me crashing, so that's a bonus.

It's apparently made by ADS Tactical

Just some major grass stains and 1 broken belt loop.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now onto pics of the bike. It's just a little worse for wear, but it might buff out.

I have a bag filled with the rest of the bits and pieces I was able to find.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
scarysharkface
30-125

Ouch.

Might be not a bad idea to peruse the flea market for some protective riding gear while you're healing. Probably not much to be done to prevent a fractured pelvis, but the road rash issue can be mostly eliminated with gear and used here in the flea market stuff can be got pretty cheap.

I tend to ride the KLR faster than it's really designed for, and in traffic on highways. The mods I've done made a huge difference, but in all honesty the bike just isn't ideal for passing trucks in the wind hauling butt down the highway. That situation kind of sucks on just about any bike (or in a small car), but the any bike light enough to be good off-road is going to get thrown around in that situation. The V-Strom 650 is worlds better for all things highway, faster and quicker and with better wind protection. It's heavier, but that helps. It will also do fire roads and such better than you'd think by looking at it. It just doesn't have the suspension of a more dirt-centric bike.

So take it easy while you're healing, get some protection and start planning your next trip, right?

John

yBr7OofIPuOP6
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #44
DutchVDub OP
Beastly Adventurer

I already have (and was wearing) an Icon Hooligan 2 mesh armored jacket and have the matching pants on the way. I was wearing alpine stars armored gloves too.

My pants never came up and my boots were over most of my shin, I think I got that through them. My jackets (I was wearing a hoodie under the mesh jacket and the gore-tex over it) must have slid up for me to get it on my back.

I'm thinking the V-Strom will be the next bike. We'll see though. I might just go big and get the Super-T. Depends on what kind of deal I can find and how much money Geico gives me for a down payment.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
hwelbergen
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My KLR is a much better highway ride with the handguards removed , fork brace installed and the fender lowered and mounted on the fork brace. Did just a 1400 mile ride in two days (932 miles on the first day) Cruising between 70 and 80 miles an hour with no problem (16/42 gearing) Overtaking trucks no problem even with the tire on the back. Not as fast as my ST 1300 but pretty comfy with the Russel seat. I think the KLR is a keeper.
hwelbergen is offline   Reply With Quote