Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjack63 View Post
I want to improve my braking on my '81 r100rt, and was wondering if anyone has a good source for braided steel brake lines. I think with braided lines and new brake pads the r100rt will have considerably improved stopping.
I got stainless steel braided Teflon lines from cyclebrakes they gave a advrider discount.

I also got a line that went from master cylinder to caliper. Removing all the junctions and a small amount of line.

Before doing that I rebuilt the calipers and master cylinder. New pads and I cleaned the rotor with a scotch right pad and some brake cleaner.

You can find build you own brake line kits. Once you get the hand of it it's easy to build them.

What ever you do get the lines that have covers over the stainless, with out the. They are like saws.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #32
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post

What ever you do get the lines that have covers over the stainless, with out the. They are like saws.
+1. The PTFE / silicone covered stainless lines are the way to go. They'll last longer than most of us.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 09:24 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 190e View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that new braided lines can give a firmer feel or that old rubber lines can swell under pressure but in the majority of cases it's an old vs new senario so the improvement is no surprise and would have been achieved at least to some extent with new rubber lines. I've just nipped out to the garage again and tested my rubber lines. Still can't measure even half a thou change using one handed firm pressure on the lever. There must be something different about the lines when Plaka is measuring 25 thou and I can't measure half a thou. Maybe I need stronger hands as they are many times older than the rubber.

I'm not daft enough to suggest that rubber lines are the thing to have but I do want to dispel the myth that all rubber lines blow up like a balloon under typical working pressure. That has to be nonsense or BMW wouldn't have fitted them in the first place.

Here's a link to a comparative test on rubber vs braided which appears to show that old rubber lines do swell more than new rubber. Braided is better still. Mind they admit to using over double the pressure that would be experienced while braking and that might be many times the pressure I'm exerting. Anyone know what pressure our systems achieve in practice ?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...e-Lines&A=2679
Some people are arguing that they don't give more brake pressure. That they do per increment of lever travel. They give a firmer feel and better braking at the same time.

I have put enough steel braided lines on brand new bikes to know the difference I am talking about has nothing to do with comparing old and new.
How much do the lines swell? I have no idea other than it is readily felt through the lever. Of course rubber lines do work. It's just that steel braided teflon lines work better. That's the whole point. Rubber lines don't swell up like a balloon in most cases although I have seen them do that a number of times but compared to braided lines rubber lines do when they are brand new. The other huge advantage of braided lines is that they last way longer than rubber lines and perform like new the whole time. BMW moved on to steel braided lines for the same reasons.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #34
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
+1. The PTFE / silicone covered stainless lines are the way to go. They'll last longer than most of us.
Personally, I don't like the way the covered lines yellow. I have seen plenty of them do it within a couple of years. I rap my bare steel with electronic plastic wire loom rap. You can always replace that when it turns yellow. I just replaced mine. It took 25 years! The line is still in good shape!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
The guy asks for a source for brake lines but gets 3 pages of people bitching at each other. Gotta love the "airhead experience."

I got mine from Spiegler. Looks like they're slightly more expensive than some of the other suggestions in this thread.. but they work and I like them. Can't complain.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #36
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
The guy asks for a source for brake lines but gets 3 pages of people bitching at each other. Gotta love the "airhead experience."

I got mine from Spiegler. Looks like they're slightly more expensive than some of the other suggestions in this thread.. but they work and I like them. Can't complain.
Nobody was bitching until you mentioned it but that does seem to be your thing.

Airhead experience? Do you mean the Airheads Club?

I got mine from Earls but that was 25 years ago. I never bothered to mention it before because all you have to do is google it for tons of sources.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Nobody was bitching until you mentioned it but that does seem to be your thing.

Hey, thanks for turning yet another thread into a personal attack.

Quote:
Airhead experience? Do you mean the Airheads Club?
Did I say Airheads Club?

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post

Hey, thanks for turning yet another thread into a personal attack.

Did I say Airheads Club?
What personal attack? No one here was bitching until you mentioned it and you do tend to drop in on threads and spread your idea of a little sunshine. That's not a personal attack. It's an observation of what you just did up above.

I didn't ask if you said Airheads Club. I asked if that was what you meant by 'airhead experience'. The rest of us have been discussing very tangible aspects of our bikes braking systems. Three pages of it until you showed up.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #39
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
Sheesh. Stage points out a non optimum situation, and suddenly he's the cause of it.

Guess I'd better duck - I'll be next.