Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
What's the Deal with the 1190 Programmer?

I moved from the US to the Dominican Republic 6 weeks ago. I was planning to bring my 990 ADV with me, but a friend insisted on buying it. Figuring I'd get an 1190 here and avoid dealing with customs, I sold my 990.

So, a few weeks before coming here I contacted the KTM dealer to order an 1190 Adventure. The bike arrived two weeks ago and looks great, but the dealer has not received the new programmer required to set the bike up before it is delivered to me. Does anyone know what the story is with these programmers? My dealer received confirmation this programmer was air-shipped last week, but has not received a tracking number from the factory.

What gives? Does anyone know when these programmers will be available for dealers?
sjp3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
What does the programmer do? (and yes, I know its supposed to program...something.)
2009 Harley Road Glide
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
I have read here that the ECU needs to be activated by the dealer, the bike can't run without the activation. So if the dealer does not have the hard- and software to make that procedure the bike is 'dead' until activated.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
I have read here that the ECU needs to be activated by the dealer, the bike can't run without the activation. So if the dealer does not have the hard- and software to make that procedure the bike is 'dead' until activated.
Exactly Katoom...the dealer has explained that the 1190 requires a new handheld computer unit for activation. The dealer has been in contact with Tina at the factory and she has indicated these have recently been shipped out by courier to many countries...but we have been unable to get a tracking number to see where it is.

The second 1190 for this market is in its way already so there will be two of us waiting to get our bikes activated. Very frustrating since I paid for the bulk of this bike several weeks ago to reserve it and the bike has been sitting here.

I'm curious to see what happened in other markets.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Its kind of a computer program to update and connect the bike electronics to ECU but they shouldn't have sell you a bike if they don't have the programmer yet?

When I collect my bike I sit on it and it felt really heavy then I try to play with the settings and they didn't upload my electronic suspension. So I told them that there is no suspention. ? the bike got a connection under the seat to the computer they connected it and load the part. It's all works well.

So yeah thy need to programmer they are not lying but it's weird they shouldn't sell you bike if they can't give you a bike ?
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Its kind of a computer program to update and connect the bike electronics to ECU but they shouldn't have sell you a bike if they don't have the programmer yet?

When I collect my bike I sit on it and it felt really heavy then I try to play with the settings and they didn't upload my electronic suspension. So I told them that there is no suspention. ? the bike got a connection under the seat to the computer they connected it and load the part. It's all works well.

So yeah thy need to programmer they are not lying but it's weird they shouldn't sell you bike if they can't give you a bike ?
Look if you are a dealer and the importer promises you x ammount of bikes including all the tools to work on it. You can't help it as a dealer that the importer fails on sending the tools.
If people want to buy a bike you sell it to them, if you say 'no i won't sell it now, maybe later' the buyer wil go somewhere else.

The dealer is not at fault, it's the importer.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
What comes in my mind is the question, why they don´t program the bikes in the factory.
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 781
Maybe KTM is tracking the bikes that go off floor plan. The minute the dealer wants a code for a bike - KTM knows it has been sold and expects to be paid. Cuts down on the amount of checking they have to do on floor planned inventory.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,395
wow .... big brother at its best, not sure if that is the right direction here.

So at valve service or oil change time does the bike go dead after X amount of km after the service has not been performed by a noted dealer?
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
AJ990R
motorcycle guy

Oddometer: 181
Laugh fancy bike with all that technology in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgios View Post
What comes in my mind is the question, why they don´t program the bikes in the factory.
I've been working on euro cars (at a dealer) for sometime now. Every brand we deal with has always had to do have this done. We're not programming anything....simply "de-activating" the "transport mode"...which the main point is to preserve battery life, as well as ensures the vehicle is not driven/ridden at all...until at the dealer, when its there responsibility to do a final QC check on the product.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Look if you are a dealer and the importer promises you x ammount of bikes including all the tools to work on it. You can't help it as a dealer that the importer fails on sending the tools.
If people want to buy a bike you sell it to them, if you say 'no i won't sell it now, maybe later' the buyer wil go somewhere else.

The dealer is not at fault, it's the importer.
In this small market the dealer is actually the importer...they don't have any secondary dealers. I used to be in the vehicle business here 20 years ago (BMW, Yamaha, Nissan, Opel, GM, Isuzu, Chrysler, Daihatsu) and I don't have any issues with the importer/dealer...they have been on top of this.

They tried to get KTM to send the computer with the bike but KTM does not combine parts and bikes and I can understand that. The issue has been that KTM has not dispatched the computer to get it to the dealership in time to deliver the bike.

This is not good for the dealer: he is waiting for me to pay the balance and to earn his total profit while my bike takes up floor space and working capital. And it's not good for me since I have limited time to ride on weekends now with a new job and I will be traveling for personal and business reasons the next 3 weekends....that really stinks since I value what I do with my time more than $$.

Does anyone know if other small markets like the Dominican Republic have received this computer???
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #12
sjp3003 OP
Adventurer

I learned yesterday that the Mexican Importer has just received the computer...fingers still crossed we will get it here soon.