User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
henryroten OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Side Winds

Just returned from a 2000 mile trip from Utah to the California coast and ran into just about every weather element possible; snow, heavy rain, 100+ heat, and wind. And did I mention wind? I've owned a lot of bikes and I feel that my 990R handles side winds pretty well but things got pretty sketchy at moments when the side gusts had to be over 40-45 mph. I was using the whole lane for sure and hoping not to get sucked into a guard rail.

So the question is, is there a technique to ride in these hard hitting side winds? I was going about 60mph most of the time then a couple of guys on Harley's two up passed me at 75mph, as if there was no wind at all. Is there a trick?
henryroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
Just returned from a 2000 mile trip from Utah to the California coast and ran into just about every weather element possible; snow, heavy rain, 100+ heat, and wind. And did I mention wind? I've owned a lot of bikes and I feel that my 990R handles side winds pretty well but things got pretty sketchy at moments when the side gusts had to be over 40-45 mph. I was using the whole lane for sure and hoping not to get sucked into a guard rail.

So the question is, is there a technique to ride in these hard hitting side winds? I was going about 60mph most of the time then a couple of guys on Harley's two up passed me at 75mph, as if there was no wind at all. Is there a trick?
yeh, ride a 900lb bike made of iron thats 20 inches lower than yours...

best thing ove found is be aware and ready to lean into the wind to counter it, slow down if necessary...

i just got my 990 ADV and find it better than a lot of bikes in the cross winds..

crunchiespg screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 09:37 AM
crunchiespg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,441
There is no trick. Except maybe make a turn so the wind becomes dead-on head or tail. But then you get to where you're trying to go!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,597
I don't have this problem on my SE.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
It's not as bad two up, duh, way better than the former KLR and better than my airhead. Side winds suck, err blows no matter what.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
With so much windage, the only solution is to slow down.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Unruled
950S

Oddometer: 106
It helps to be slightly mentally ill. I have done 60mph crosswinds and it's downright suicidal. There's no technique, they're just high and solid. They're going to be pushed over by crosswinds.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Living in the Bay area and having to cross three pretty windy bridges to get anywhere (Golden Gate, Oakland Bay & Richmond San Rafael), I see some serious side winds. During the daytime or in the dry it's ok, but try it at night, in the rain/heavy fog....

What works for me is to use the bike to counter the wind gusts, rather than leaning my body weight...i.e. - ride it like a dirt bike. I keep my weight centered and lean the bike into the prevailing winds. This allows me to compensate for changes in direction or intensity really quickly (much quicker than trying to shift my body back and forth). If it get's really bad I add body weight as needed. Unfortunately I've got plenty to spare these days.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Hike&ride
Exploration Born

Oddometer: 11
Funny you made this thread, from day one on the 990, ive noticed and hated this. Probably the only thing i hate about the bike. I live near the outerbanks and its always windy here! guess why the wright brothers took first flight here. Sometimes i feel like i will take flight on my KTM!

I just lean into it and ride sideways and hold on for the ride!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruled View Post
it helps to be slightly mentally ill.
dd
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
I rode 1000km through a storm in one day - I did a write up on it saying (about the wind) if biking was always like that I'd give it up in a heartbeat.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post

I found that narrower rear saddlebags help reduce side movement . . . Gobi's are very wide and boxy . . . Catch alot of wind.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
KamLeeR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Wink winds galore

I just experienced some major winds too in the last week. Traveled to Arizona for the Overland Expo. Had 50+southwest crosswinds for over 200 miles. Thought I was going to die. It literally threw my bike an entire lane. Glad there wasn't a semi there. Not much I could do but hold all my weight into it and barrel through. It was very scary at times. Was loaded with all my Wolfman luggage. Not sure if this helped or hurt.
On way back home through Texas had the same thing, southeast crosswinds, storm front winds. Booger- bear alright. At least both of the sidewalls got equall wear!

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
seralat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Living in the Bay area and having to cross three pretty windy bridges to get anywhere (Golden Gate, Oakland Bay & Richmond San Rafael), I see some serious side winds. During the daytime or in the dry it's ok, but try it at night, in the rain/heavy fog....

What works for me is to use the bike to counter the wind gusts, rather than leaning my body weight...i.e. - ride it like a dirt bike. I keep my weight centered and lean the bike into the prevailing winds. This allows me to compensate for changes in direction or intensity really quickly (much quicker than trying to shift my body back and forth). If it get's really bad I add body weight as needed. Unfortunately I've got plenty to spare these days.
Maybe it's a Bay Area thing, but like srad600, I've found riding the Oakland Bay Bridge in high winds year after year that the dirt bike approach is the best. Use your hips to push the bike out towards the wind, keep your center loose and upright and be prepared for the direction and intensity of the wind to vary.

Also, definitely _don't_ slow down. Speed is your friend in high winds. A fast moving bike wants to stay upright because of the rotation of the wheels.
seralat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by seralat View Post

Also, definitely _don't_ slow down. Speed is your friend in high winds. A fast moving bike wants to stay upright because of the rotation of the wheels.
+1
On one of my trips from the Bay Area to Death Valley, I got lucky and left on the biggest storm of the decade. The wind was so strong that it was pushing me from one lane to another. Riding sideways for a few hundred miles. Combine that with a wall of water falling down from the sky... It was a blast.
The faster I rode, the easier it was.