User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
KHuddy OP
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,608
John Charles Ryan R.I.P.

Posted on the MOA by Jim Shaw, a friend of John's.

John was the fellow who made the run from Prudhoe to Key West in 85 hours in 2009. He was a fine man, a great rider and a good friend.
------

I just received a call from Susan Drillock, John's older sister in New Jersey. I have nothing but the worst of news about John.

Details are scarce, because it is so close to the time that information is still being formed.

John Ryan was killed in a motorcycle accident, earlier today. According to Sue, John had breakfast this morning at home, and left to ride to Long Island. He was a friend of Billy Joel, and frequently visited Joel's car and motorcycle museum out on the Island. When I last spoke with John by phone, two nights ago, he was pleased that he had found a watchmaker near Billy Joel's place, and was looking forward to taking his Grandfather's pocket watch out there, to have it repaired.

Apparently, today was the day John selected to run this errand.

The only information I have at the moment is that John was killed, earlier this day, in a motorcycle mishap. Sue says that it was a warm and sunny day in that area.

Many or you knew John personally; many more knew John by his reputation as a skilled and adventurous rider. John blossomed as a long distance rider's rider soon after inheriting his first BMW bike, a K75.

I will send more news as it becomes available.

John was the best friend I ever had. I have never been more filled with sadness.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,577
So sad...I met John a few times and always found him fascinating.

In was just with him at Ardys' service a few months ago.

RIP.......
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,208
Terrible to hear yet another ridwr called home. Met him briefly. Most impressive man.

On my way down to Long Island tomorrow myself. Be thinking of him. So sorry to hear this.
AKTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
KHuddy OP
Big Sky Country

A positive article about a rider:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warr..._river_default
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,842
Another great person, as well as an exceptional rider, gone.

John was, considering his many remarkable accomplishments, one of the most humble men I have ever met. He was also a great friend. You could phone him and, even after six months or so with no contact, begin conversing as though you'd been together the day before.

Not only could he ride long distances in short periods of time, but he was a very capable rider as well. Following him up the Dalton Highway through freshly-graded muck and mud, me on a bike shod with TKC80's, John on his FJR with street tires, his ability to keep his bike upright and moving along was a pleasure to watch. He did things that many people could not believe even had they witnessed them with their own eyes.

He will be missed in many circles.

The man is gone, but the legend lives on.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
The legend, indeed lives.
RIP
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
KHuddy OP
Big Sky Country

John Charles Ryan Obituary

John Charles Ryan, 53, of Long Valley, N.J., passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. A celebration of John's life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, at the William J. Leber Funeral Home, 15 Furnace Rd. (corner of Rt. 206), Chester, N.J., (908) 879-3090. An 11 a.m. Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 18, at St. Luke Parish in Long Valley. The interment will be private. For online condolences or more information, visit www.williamjleberfh.com. John was born on June 24, 1960, in Jersey City, N.J. He had lived in Long Valley for the past nine years and was previously of Morris Plains, N.J. John was an avid motorcyclist. He held numerous world records for endurance riding. John was a member of the BMW Skylands Club, the New York BMW Riders Club, the New Jersey BMW Shore Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. He also volunteered at Camp Nejeda to help children with juvenile diabetes. John is survived by his mother and father, Janet and John Ryan; his siblings, Susan and her husband, David Drillock, Kenneth and his wife, Barbara Ryan, Anita M. Ryan, Laurie and her husband, Anthony Pietropollo, and Nicole and her husband, Daniel Morin; his nieces and nephews, Justin, Melanie and Trevor Ryan, Michael, Alexander and Christopher Pietropollo, and Brooks and Samaya Morin, and many other loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, 910 Saddleback Rd., Stillwater Township, N.J. 07860.
Published in Star-Ledger on Oct. 15, 2013
- See more at: http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starl....fHTkI0aB.dpuf
Obituary

John Charles Ryan, 53, of Long Valley, N.J., passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. A celebration of John's life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, at the William J. Leber Funeral Home, 15 Furnace Rd. (corner of Rt. 206), Chester, N.J., (908) 879-3090. An 11 a.m. Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 18, at St. Luke Parish in Long Valley. The interment will be private. For online condolences or more information, visit www.williamjleberfh.com. John was born on June 24, 1960, in Jersey City, N.J. He had lived in Long Valley for the past nine years and was previously of Morris Plains, N.J. John was an avid motorcyclist. He held numerous world records for endurance riding. John was a member of the BMW Skylands Club, the New York BMW Riders Club, the New Jersey BMW Shore Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. He also volunteered at Camp Nejeda to help children with juvenile diabetes. John is survived by his mother and father, Janet and John Ryan; his siblings, Susan and her husband, David Drillock, Kenneth and his wife, Barbara Ryan, Anita M. Ryan, Laurie and her husband, Anthony Pietropollo, and Nicole and her husband, Daniel Morin; his nieces and nephews, Justin, Melanie and Trevor Ryan, Michael, Alexander and Christopher Pietropollo, and Brooks and Samaya Morin, and many other loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, 910 Saddleback Rd., Stillwater Township, N.J. 07860.
Published in Star-Ledger on Oct. 15, 2013
- See more at: http://obits.nj.com/obituaries/starl....fHTkI0aB.dpuf
Old 10-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
duffyduzz
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Ride & Rest In Peace, John. R. & R. I. P.

Met John and the author of his book, Melissa Holbrook Pierson, at a book signing of "The Man Who Would Stop At Nothing" at Addiction Motors in Emeryville, CA. last February. Was an excellent look into the man and his motivations and listening to Melissa describing her experiences with John as a mentor. As someone below has said, he was so NOT full of himself, even in light of some truly incredible feats on a a BMW K 75 and then a FJR 1300 Yamaha. Had to have the book, so I bought it through Amazon. It's very well written, as Melissa, a renewed rider due to John, has a unique, very singular style.

I know it's not going to bring John back, but I'm interested to know how this happened, as the local news reported he had veered left into a fast lane and a Mustang w/ a crashed looking front left side was in the news report's image. Makes me think the Mustang was going very fast, and bumped him possibly knocking him down. There was supposed to be an investigation, and I'd sure like to know the results. If anyone learns anything, please post here.

Ride & Rest In Peace, John. R. & R. I. P.
duffyduzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,058
He will be sorely missed, he was one of my inspirations in 2010 when I did the same Prudhoe to Key West run. R.I.P.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote