User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,490
Scooter for wife

My wife wants a scooter and I have no idea what to look for. I know nothing about them.

We want it to be reliable, small enough displacement to park on the sidewalk (I forgot the cut-off), and easy to maintain. She has never ridden any motorized 2-wheeler so this would be new to her.

Any ideas, tips, pointers?

Thanks!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
49cc in Missouri

No motorcycle indorsement required. Must have license, insurance, and proof of ownership. The Ruckus to me is a great utility scooter. lots of under seat storage and a flat floor board. Has plenty of umph around town.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 742
Hi Nick,

You would have to check your local parking ordinances, but if anything is allowed to park on the sidewalks, it is usually the sub-50cc scooters. Avoid the mainland China made products. Honda and Yamaha both make 50cc scooters. Other good brands are Kymco, Genuine, and SYM (all Taiwanese). The Buddy 50 by Genuine is a very popular scooter in that size. There may also be a restriction on horse power and/or top speed for bicycle type parking... all 50cc scooters are not equal.

Something to keep in mind is that top speed - usually around 30 mph or so for that category of scooter. That may or may not be an issue in her situation.

We have ridden motorcycles for 45 years and recently switched to scooters; and have found them to be a lot of fun.

Spend some time looking around this forum and you'll get some interesting insight into the scooter world.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Find someone who rents them (tourist areas or college towns) and have her give them a try first. Spend the day riding with her and then follow the advice of the Capt'n. You may just buy 2!
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Denver research resource.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thanks, everyone! Wifey and I are going to go to a couple dealers tomorrow to look around.

Denver has the 50cc rule/cutoff for no license/plate/sidewalk parking.

DakarNick screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:17 PM
Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,384
Anyway here the list for cycletrader with in 100 of denver .
http://www.cycletrader.com/New-Or-Us...:asc&newsort=1

$899 2003 Honda CH50 http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...etro-110209049

same but 14000 bucks with 200 miles ; http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...F-50-108874220

2009 SYM JET EURO 50 Scooter 1200 10 miles . 1200 buck but then again they are asking 1400 for a 125

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...--50-110203516

Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
If there's a SYM dealer in your area, then take a look. They are quite well made. But then so are Kymco and Genuine.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

First: Buy used - while she figures out if it works for her. Once that's known, you can buy new with confidence. Most new scooters lose a lot of value immediately on sale.

Second: Before recommending a size, you need to know where and how far she'll be riding. Trips around the neighborhood? 49cc is fine. To work and back? Denver traffic is unforgiving; she'll need a 250cc or larger. A 49cc will top out at under 40 mph (there are some modded exceptions); a 150cc will give the rider up to about 50 mph.

Freeway or limited-access roadway travel requires at LEAST 300cc and probably more. If she's going to be riding into town on I-25, you want at least a Burgman 400.

No cycle license? It's a problem; but dodging it by going 49cc is like dodging not having a driver's license by taking a pedal-car to work. It avoids it; but you wind up with something other than what you need.

A scooter, like a wrench, is a tool (in addition to being a toy). Before you buy a wrench, you have to know what you're going to use it on.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thank you, everyone, for the help and links.

Today we went to Sportique Scooters and checked out the Genuine and Kymcos, Erico Motorosports and checked out the Vespa/Piaggios and also a used Honda Sh 150i. We also stopped by RPM Motorsports and checked out a Honda Sh 150i and also a Honda CXP which is pretty cool. I also had to check out, once again, the Can Am Spyders

We are set on a 125/150 at the very least. It won't be needed for major road use, mostly commuting the mile to work, her Pilates place, and the library. We can use the truck, car, or bike for anything longer.

Back to Craigslist/Motorcycle trader!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,240
I wanted to get a scooter for my wife but not many wanted to trade and the ones that did wanted way too much boot. Oh wait I'm in the wrong thread, sorry.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
CaptnJim
Scootist

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for the help and links.

Today we went to Sportique Scooters and checked out the Genuine and Kymcos, Erico Motorosports and checked out the Vespa/Piaggios and also a used Honda Sh 150i. We also stopped by RPM Motorsports and checked out a Honda Sh 150i and also a Honda CXP which is pretty cool. I also had to check out, once again, the Can Am Spyders

We are set on a 125/150 at the very least. It won't be needed for major road use, mostly commuting the mile to work, her Pilates place, and the library. We can use the truck, car, or bike for anything longer.

Back to Craigslist/Motorcycle trader!
The Honda PCX are nice scooters - we bought a pair a few months ago for the wife and me. There is a good thread here on the PCX... the older ones are 125s, they came out with the 150 last year. The 150 is "highway legal" in most states. Unless your circumstances are unusual, you can't "park them on the sidewalk," but they are very capable for a small(ish) scooter. Top speed around 65, but you have to have some patience to get to that. Very peppy up to 55 mph. Big plus - it's a Honda.

Good luck with your decisions.

Captain Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
My wife wants a scooter and I have no idea what to look for. I know nothing about them.

We want it to be reliable, small enough displacement to park on the sidewalk (I forgot the cut-off), and easy to maintain. She has never ridden any motorized 2-wheeler so this would be new to her.

Thanks!
Colorado that would be under 50cc for no m/c license but have her take the MSF course and get a Genuine Buddy. They are all over the place downtown Denver. Extremely reliable but you there is no body style difference between the 50cc, 125cc, 150cc (International paint styles) and the fuel injected 170i. All of which I've seen parked on the sidewalk in Denver. Then again I've also seen a 500cc BV parked on the sidewalk in Denver. What I do not see parked on the sidewalk are big maxis like the Suzuki Burgman. So from my observation if you get a more traditional styled scooter like a Buddy, Yamaha Vino (or even a Zumo), Vespa (any size or vintage), some of the Kymcos (People, Like, Agility but not Xciting), Sym, Aprilia (Sports City or lower cc Scarabeo), Piagigio (Fly, Typhoon) you shouldn't have a problem parking on the sidewalk as long as it is out of the way. Smaller wheeled scooters like the Buddy (really any of the Genuine scoots), Vespa, Yamaha or Honda Met regardless of cc size are highly unlikely to be a problem with sidewalk parking at least in Denver as long as they don't block pedestrians.

When I take my BV down to Ericos for service I usually get a loaner if it will be more than an hour or two. The loaner has always been a Vespa (though I was once offered a Triumph when they needed to keep it overnight) depending on what I'm doing while the scoot is being serviced it has been either a 50cc ET 2 when I'm staying downtown - going to the bank getting a bite to eat sort of thing or a GTS 250 both of which were plated (probably one of the used scoots for sale) and I parked both of them on the sidewalks downtown, frequently next to other plated scooters. I've never seen an unplated scooter in Breckenridge where we live and the majority of the scoots are 50cc. Frankly, I'd plate the scoot and insure it no matter what the cc. Especially, if you ever want to take it with you to ride in another state (say in the back of that truck.)

cdwise screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 07:19 AM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Were you able to have a look at the Piaggio Typhoon 50? This looks like a nice scooter with 14" wheels and 144 mpg. >> http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.h...iew/typhoon-50

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
What I do not see parked on the sidewalk are big maxis like the Suzuki Burgman.
Related discussion.

Colorado DMV
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote