Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #16
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,794

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

Looks like you have some great country to ride in. Thanks for giving the rest of us a peek at some of it and thanks for taking the time to describe your ride. Stay safe on the way.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
In, and looking forward to more.
Chip, I will be linking this to the TeT and TeT-s threads. I also have a few closures that I will report there.

Thank you so much for coordinating and assembling the TeT. It truly is an amazing thing that you have done. If ever we meet, beer is on me.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Clearing the mind

The meditation; clearing the mind; leave the world behind.
I agree with you. It's a beautiful thing.
I think maybe the meditation is the safe riding mind.
If one is watching all the possible eventualities;
the next intersection, road condition or debris,
every car and there possible next move....
then our mind is on these things and
because we are way ahead of any hazard,
our mind is relaxed.

Of course my thoughts do wander sometimes.
Anyway, nice report.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Day 3 – Marion, VA to Hot Springs, NC (242 miles/816 total)

I woke up to rain in Marion. Cold and rainy…bleh, not the way I wanted to start the day. At least I got a good night’s sleep, and was ready once again to tackle whatever the road had to throw my way. There would be no re-routing on this day. Let’s get this show on the road.

Well, shit! OK, there will be no re-routing for the first 18 miles…

Easy to find a way around the closed bridge and get back on the trail, and I got to see things from the other way. Sometimes that makes all the difference, and you get a shot like this.

Back on the trail and heading into the mountains. Once again, I am getting away from civilization and other people. This is exactly where I want to be.

Son of a bitch!

No quick go around this time. Still, I am on my bike and the weather is improving. Yeah, I could live like this until the cows come home.

Well, that was quick.

I have no idea why the forest road was blocked. Considering the amount of rain the area has had, it would not surprise me if the road was washed out. Not a big deal though, the detour was enjoyable, and if you think you are going to be able to travel extensively, especially on forest roads, without hitting detours, you may as well just park the bike now.

Now, back to the ride and the scenery.

Not the first thing that somes to mind when I think of Virginia..or North Carolina…what state am I in anyway? Hmm, I don’t think it really matters.

Funny thing happened along this time. As it turns out, Dennis Cove Road is part of the TeT. Black Bear Resort, the site of this year’s Rendezvous is on Dennis Cove Road. I figured I would stop on the way by to check the place out. As I get off the bike, the hostess greets me and asks,”Aren’t you a little early?”

“Nah,’ I reply, “I still have 700 miles to go before I get here.”

The look on her face was priceless. Really made to stop worthwhile.

So, I knew for certain that I was in Tennesse, but it does not matter what state you are in when the riding and scenery is like this.

It is not foggy, it is cloudy. I am a bit over 4800ft here, and the clouds are about 4500 ft.

This is Beauty Spot, in…uh…Tennesse, I think. The trail goes by it, but it is worth the half mile side trip for the view. From what I understand, it is also a favorite camping spot for thru-hikers. I can see why.

And to finish the day, how about some more old buildings?

I rolled into Hot Springs just as the rain was starting to fall. Grabbed a room at the Alpine Court and then walked to a BBQ place that I saw on the way into town. The Still Mountain Restaurant & Pub was not officially open yet, but they were having a Mother’s Day weekend thing, so I was able to enjoy some wonderful ribs. They are officially open now, so if you are near Hot Springs, you gotta stop in and have a bite to eat. Hell, at $9, I had to get a second order.

Yep, life is still good.
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,943

Hi!!
HappyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #22
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Hiya roomy
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #23
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
The concerns of regular life are of little consequence to me right now. Me, the bike and the trail. That is my world, and it is indeed a beautiful world to be in. Folks talk about thinking deep thoughts while riding. For me, it is a chance to empty the mind. Kinetic meditation on motorcycle, and when I am on the bike, the only thing in my mind is the present. What is behind me is behind me, and what road ahead will be dealt with when I get there. I am here and now, and the rest of the world will be waiting for me when I get back.
Wow! Powerful words as that is the ultimate reason as to why I enjoy riding so much. Sorry, I did not get to meet you at RDV. I envy you as I wish I could take two weeks off to ride..... hopefully, when the kids grow up. Enjoying your RR.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,197
a lot of the pics look very familiar... you came really close to our house - and did not say "hello"

maybe I take this route on my vacation (unless I go out west)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Day 4 – Hot Springs, NC to Dillard, GA (226 miles/1042 total)

What a great way to start the day. Beautiful weather, and it is hard to complain with the first road being NC-209. Great way to warm up before hitting the first dirt for the way. Follow it up with Meadow Fork Road, and you have the beginning of an epic day.

With old buildings…

And interesting bridges

And even a little bit of serendipity. I stop by a random tree in the forest, and what do I see?

Little did I know where that little trail went. I wish I had went to look, as I missed the view from Buzzard’s Roost.

(Not my photo. Credit goes to Wayne Busch / Smoky Mountain Rider website)

Oh well, there are still the waterfalls.

The beast awaits

But it will have to wait for a minute. I haven’t thought about tadpoles in ages.

OK, enough playing, time to ride.

I didn’t really get many pictures today. I was having way too much fun riding. It was probably the most fun day on the trail. Roads like Harmon Den, FS-288, Mount Sterling Rd and various BIA roads on the Cherokee Reservation.

The best road of the day? That would be Upper River Road on the reservation. It has humps…humps while climbing, humps while descending, humps in the straights, humps in the corners…humps, humps everywhere. And there I was on a fully loaded 990. Man, if that bike would have been empty, I do believe that I would have spent more time in the air than on the ground. As it is, I think I beat about six months of life expectancy out of the rear suspension.

Two good brake checks today. First was to get the picture of the waterfall and cabin. I was quite impressed with how much traction the front was able to find on the dirt road. I kept squeezing, and it kept biting. As it turns out, it is a good thing I did that brake test under somewhat controlled conditions.

Towards the end of the day, I came upon some redneck on his quad. He saw me and took off and a good clip. I was in no rush and didn’t feel any need to try to pass him. Apparently, the dog did feel that need and ran out in front of me in the process. BRAKES!!! I was able to stop before hitting the dog, much to the relief of the dog, the dog’s owner and myself. And it only took me half an hour to pull the seat back out from between my ass cheeks.

So that’s it. Short update for a great day of riding. Again, I am impressed with the route that Chip was able to put together, and he gives it to us for the asking. Thanks, dude. It is greatly appreciated.

BTW, if you ever find yourself staying in Dillard, GA, you could do worse than finding the Mountain Valley hotel. Great hotel for a good price.

Tomorrow is the last day on the Trans-eastern Trail. Then I turn north again to head for the Rendezvous. It will prove to be an interesting day…
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
Strombony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
awesome report

great report skyclad! Nicely written and I'm wanted to ride some more
smoky mountain backroads. Will you post any videos?

matt
01 ktm 400 mxc
92 RMX 250, blown up!
Strombony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #27
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
And interesting bridges

Here's how that crossing looked the last time I was there.

Nice shot:

Quote:
Here's mine:

The best is to come. The Georgia sections are awesome!

Excellent report! Thanks for sharing.

CR

CanyonRider screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 07:57 AM
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,104
Hey Skyclad.

It's good to see you out on the bike again.
The East coast looks lush and green.

I think you convinced me to get out this weekend and head to nowhere in particular.

Q~

P.S. Those Ribs looked really good.
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Thumb

in
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #30
CaptDanimal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
sweeeeet enjoying this. keep 'em coming
CaptDanimal is offline   Reply With Quote