Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,129
Thanks for the report. Waiting on the RDV ride pics!
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #32
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,411
Day 5 – Dillard, GA to Dalton, GA (199 miles / 1241 total)

Out of curiosity, I looked at Google Maps to get the distance from Dillard to Dalton. According to that, it can be done in 127 miles. I bet my way was more interesting.

I awoke to a beautiful day. Sun was shining, weather report was good and I even had kind of clean clothes I washed in the sink (note to self…find laundromat). Got the bike packed up and hit the road. I was looking forward to the ride since it would take me on a road that I have wanted to ride for awhile. Today’s routing includes the well known Wolf Pen Gap. Shall we ride?

I though this could be an interesting place to hold a rally. Can you imagine watching the Moran Nation trying to take the wall?

So far, the roads have been fun, fast and pretty easy riding. I knew there were big-bike bypasses in this part of the TeT, but I elected to not use them. I was about to find out if that was a poor decision.

I was riding along a river when my GPS said’ “Turn left on Sandy Bottom.” I look to the left and see nothing but river with forest on the other side. Figured the turn must be just ahead, so I continued on for a short distance. Nope, that little slope into the river was the turn. OK, guess I will have to check this out a little better.

Ah, there the exit is…

You can see it just left of center in this picture, right there in the darker area.

Fortunately, the river bottom was not sandy. Nice river rock and not even all that slippery. Deepest part was about 18” or so. Really, the only difficult part was the length of the crossing; probably about 200 feet.

Now, the crossing was fairly easy, but Sandy Bottom Road (trail?) made up for the easy crossing. It was mud, ruts, washouts and rocks. Of course, I didn’t get pictures of the difficult parts. As long as I was moving, I planned on keeping it that way.

The rewards of taking the road less traveled.

Even when this happens, I am still enjoying myself.

Hmm, this may have something to do with it.

Like I said, I got to ride at least part of Wolf Pen Gap. So much better than the more famous roads like the Dragon, with no traffic to speak of. The reason that I only rode part of the Gap is because the route took me onto Duncan Ridge Road. It was another Jeep trail and I found the going challenging but fun. Momentum was my friend, as there were several slick, off-camber climbs. However, I am starting to understand why Chip provided big bike bypasses. Again, I only have shots of the easier section.

There was one road that probably would not have been memorable at all, except for the fact that I passed a grader that was turning around. There was about ¼ of a lane that was not torn to shit, and, of course, it was the wrong side of the road. Yeah, that was a couple of really shitty miles.

When I got back to the good stuff, I soon learned that there are, in fact, TWO Wolf Pen Gap roads in Georgia. There is the twisty paved road. Then there is the relatively straight, unpaved roads. I had to laugh when I saw the sign that read “ROAD NOT MAINTAINED” Gee, really? I would have never guessed.

I was not entirely sure if I was still riding on a road, or a shallow stream bed when I came around a bend and saw this a rather evil looking puddle. The water was not all that deep, but the water was not what I was worried about. Something about the fact that there was a miniature version of the Mississippi Delta at the edge of The Puddle; THAT is what concerned me.

I looked around a bit and noticed there was a bypass around The Puddle.

I discovered the bike was too wide to make it by a tree with the luggage.

Now, an intelligent person would back up, unload the bike, carry everything to the other side of The Puddle, then ride the bypass. One thing that I have discovered about the 990; it encourages less-than-intelligent decisions from time to time.

(I think the rear tire is sitting on a BMW in this picture.)

From this point, it took me another 20 minutes to get the bike the rest of the way out of the puddle. When I got off the bike, I sank up to my knees in the mud on the bottom of The Puddle. On the plus side, the bike would move under its own power without my fat ass on it. So it was a case of move the bike three inches, take a step, move the bike three inches, take a step. The taking step part was far more difficult than the move the bike part. After I made it to freedom, and had to get one last picture to remember The Puddle.

No, I was not stupid enough to try to go through the main part of The Puddle. No, I tried to go through the little part that sticks out on the left side. I hate to think of what the middle would have been like. Damn, let’s get out of here.

Huh, that explains a lot, though I really wish they would stop.

And under the unexpected finds category…

The last day riding the TeT has been a good one. The stuff I rode through today has been some fo the most difficult riding I have every had the 990 on, and with a full load to boot. I gotta say that I am even more impressed with what this thing is capable of. I am certainly the limiting factor in this team.

Tomorrow, I turn north to return to Black Bear Resort. I figure I have earned a day off, so I am planning on getting to the Rendezvous a day early and just sitting around being lazy and drink a bit of beer.

Still loving it.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #33
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strombony View Post
great report skyclad! Nicely written and I'm wanted to ride some more
smoky mountain backroads. Will you post any videos?

matt
I only have a few from Day 2. My helmet fell off the bike at a gas station and knocked the video camera off the mount.

I will probably put something together at the end of the report. Gonna try my hand at putting together a montage sorta thing.
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #34
Gas_Man
Like a New Man

Oddometer: 106
Great ride report, bro. Love the pictures.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Thanks. I will be posting Day 6 this evening.
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
So...

Ultra nice, set up, 990...check

1200 mile TET ride...check

WalMart atv seat pad upgrade...priceless!
(really only about $20)

I'll need to buy you lunch someday, it won't cost me much

Great pics and report. Some of it I recognize but much of it I don't. I guess I'll need to go back for more!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293

Awesome ride report!!! Thanks for taking us along.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Day 6 – Dalton, Ga to Hampton, TN (348 miles / 1589 total)

Well, my time on the TeT is over, but I still have lots of riding ahead of me. I will be heading back up to the Rendezvous site today. Just a little jaunt of 300-350 miles or so, mostly pavement. Oh well, at least it is going to be some interesting roads in the mix.

Aargh! There be pirates ahead!

I figured that while I was in the area, I had to stop in here.

Pretty neat shop. Good gear available, though I refrained from trying on any of the Klim gear. I would hate to find something that fits me nicely and not have an extra $900 sitting around. I did however pick up a new pair of sunglasses and a summer weight balaclava. My poor ears have been taking a beating donning and doffing my helmet, and I am hoping this will help.

Onwards to the Cherohala Skyway…including a construction zone.

I really am not too worried about what other folks ride, but when your “bike” gets this big, I am thinking you may as well just get a cage.

I dropped off the Skyway on NF-81 and immediately regretted it. Several inches of fresh gravel the whole way down to Joyce Kilmer Road. Not all that much fun. However, Joyce Kilmer Rd was quite enjoyable.

I wonder how many times this dam has been photographed?

Yeah, I did the Dragon. Yeah, I got my picture taken. Yeah, I went ahead and ordered some. No, I don’t currently have them to share. But I did take my own pictures. Folks have asked me on a few occasions how my tires grip on pavement. Perhaps the lack of chicken strips will answer that question.

Not too bad for knobbies on pavement. I won’t claim that I have been dragging knees, but I don’t worry about pushing them at a good clip through the turns (as long as the roads are dry). I actually did have a good run on the Dragon. I didn’t get stuck behind a slower vehicle, and nobody caught me either. It was almost like having the road to myself.

After running the Dragon, I wound my way north, taking in the sights as I went.

I am really happy with how this picture turned out.

Not a lot of pictures today. I was eating miles, and not quite as focused on getting pictures on the way. That does not mean that there are not stories to tell. During a fuel/rest break, I happened to notice that my rear brakes were...uh…rather worn. Like pretty much gone. Huh, they weren’t that bad when I left home. While heading towards Hampton, I pondered how to deal with this development, other than remembering to not use the rear brakes any more than necessary.

Not being certain about the food situation at the Black Bear Resort, I stopped in Johnson City to eat and search out the nearest KTM dealer. After figuring out where I was, asked my Droid where is the closest KTM dealer to Johnson City? I was happy that it told me the closest KTM dealer to Johnson City is in…Johnson City. My, how convenient. Shit, they are closed Wednesdays. My, how inconvenient.

I also met an older gentleman while eating. We sat and chatted for about 30 minutes or so. Talked about traveling, meeting folks and seeing the world. Very pleasant conversation, and a nice way to end the day.

The rest of the ride to Hampton was easy and uneventful. Just before I turned onto the road to the resort, I met another rider on a 990 coming from the other direction. He led the way up to the resort and we introduced ourselves to each other in the parking lot. I then got my bunk for the weekend and unloaded the bike.

The Black Bear Resort caters to through hikers on the Appalachian Trail, and there were a few there Tuesday night. When I was walking down to meet with some other early arrivals, one of the hikers offered me a beer. Now, I am not the sort of person to refuse somebodies hospitality, so I st down and had a beer or three with the hikers. Turns out there was one from Harrisburg, one from Annapolis and two from State College. Here we are, 500 miles from home and a seriously different ways of getting to where we were, and it could have been a reunion of local friends. Serendipity strikes again.

While chatting with the hikers, we came to the surprising conclusion that through hikers and adventure riders really aren’t all that different. We ride bikes and cover much larger distances, and the hikers are in far, far better shape than the average rider, but the attitude and outlook on life are pretty much the same. They have trail names every bit as creative and humorous as our screen names, and we all have that certain funkiness after being on the road for days at a time.

I had made it to the Rendezvous with an intact motorcycle and had a great ride getting there. I had stories to tell and was looking forward to a few days of riding a bike with no gear on it. Only pressing business I had until Sunday was to get new brake pads on the bike. Sounds good to me.
Bald Eagle Bastard

Skyclad screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 09:43 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #39
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
So...

Ultra nice, set up, 990...check

1200 mile TET ride...check

WalMart atv seat pad upgrade...priceless!
(really only about $20)

I'll need to buy you lunch someday, it won't cost me much

Great pics and report. Some of it I recognize but much of it I don't. I guess I'll need to go back for more!
Hey, that seat pad gives me an extra 15 or 20 minutes before my ass goes numb every day!

I sat on a Renazco seat while at the RDV. I do believe that I will have one before the next long ride.
Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
Sytadel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
While chatting with the hikers, we came to the surprising conclusion that through hikers and adventure riders really aren’t all that different. We ride bikes and cover much larger distances, and the hikers are in far, far better shape than the average rider, but the attitude and outlook on life are pretty much the same. They have trail names every bit as creative and humorous as our screen names, and we all have that certain funkiness after being on the road for days at a time.
I have noticed this too... I go hiking with friends quite a bit and it always leaves me feeling the same way that a good long ride does.

On one occasion I can remember having been hiking for a few days without seeing anyone, and suddenly I hear the familiar sound of a few syncopated two-strokes. Me and my hikers pull left and wave the riders that come through. I think they were just out for a weekend blat but it's all the same really.

Love the RR, can't wait to visit the states.
Sytadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #41
Skyclad OP
Original Bastard

Update for Day 6. Here are my pictures from the Dragon (credit to 129 Slayer).

Bald Eagle Bastard
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
Gas_Man
Like a New Man

Oddometer: 106
You are living the life my man...living the life!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
Great Talking with you at the RDZ again this year.
Thanks for sharing your TeT ride with us I need to give this one
a try sometime soon.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #44
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,274
Quote:
Enjoying your RR Mike.

I see you got the correct tent.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #45
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Nice RR and pictures, thank you for sharing. Keep posting please.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote