Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
MidlifeRiding OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Cross-country Motorcycle Shenanigans - Midlife Riding

Hello everyone!

n00b here and about to pop my delicate virgin ADV cherry with a Jumbo Jet!

On top of that, I'll be doing what I do best - Acting like an idiot

Best of all, I'm going to share it with the world on MidlifeRiding

I'm a sportbike guy, knee-dragger, weekend warrior and track day junky who is used to doing faster paced rides through twisty mountain roads averaging 500-1k miles on a sportbike during a 2-day weekend blast. WHEWW! That was a lot!

This is my very FIRST long distance adventure trip. I'm picking up the bike early this week (almost positive I've settled on a KLR650), then modding it for the trip, getting the last of the equipment that I need and then off I go!

I think the intro from my site does a pretty good job explaining my trip plans.

Quote:
My name is Patrick Hayden. At age 33, single, no kids, no job, no home, fighting a losing uphill battle, finding myself in bad situation after bad situation, I made a drastic life changing decision. I got rid of everything I own to hop on a motorcycle and travel across the country making everything up as I go.

The trip is CURRENTLY ONGOING! Im hoping to be on the road for about a year and/or 50k-100k miles. I am going to do my best to earn/work/barter/trade for my food, gas, lodging and anything else I may need along the way. This site will be updated regularly throughout this adventure. I promise it will be a good mixture of humor, drama, action, horror, and sci-fi with a touch of documentary.

Want to get involved or help out?

Im not looking for charity. Im looking for assistance. There is a difference! Any kind of help or support that you can offer is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Depending on how you help out, you may get something in return for your troubles! Here are the best ways that YOU could possibly help out.
  • Like/Follow/Subscribe to my extended social networking sites!
  • Like/Follow/Share this site and its content with your friends and family!
  • Send people to this site online or by word-of-mouth!
  • Interact with me and comment on things to make the trip more interesting!
  • Offer suggestions for things to do and places to go!
  • Help me line up work/food/gas/shelter prior to arriving in new locations!
  • Advertise with Midlife Riding! Several unique options available!
  • Become a Sponsor and provide your products/services to help support this trip!
  • Or you can always Buy Me a Tank of Gas!
I think the video and information available in Episode 2 does the best job explaining this trip in detail. For additional information about me, this site, my journey, sponsorships, advertising, or if you just want to buy me a tank of gas to help keep me going, please read the About page.

As you can see, I'm free-styling the whole thing. I will be posting regular updates, and not all of it will be specifically about the trip. I have other video ideas that I know will go viral and I'll be using MidlifeRiding as the platform to launch them.

I may or may not break/create a world record or two from this trip. It would be absolutely awesome if I did, but that's not the sole intent of me doing it. It's a self-discovery trip, a chance for me shine by doing what I do best, a chance to network and meet new people and learn new things, help others in need as I travel, raising some awareness for breast cancer (charity details not finalized yet), making a little bit of a name for myself in the process, setting myself up for future successes, all while having the time of my life doing what I love most in this world - Riding.

Home is where I park my bike!
MidlifeRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
MidlifeRiding OP
Adventurer

Midlife Riding is now on KICKSTARTER!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nture-midlifer

I've put Midlife Riding on Kickstarter because I don't see any other way to set the trip up for long-term success. This Kickstarter project directly affects the long-term success of this epic, record-breaking motorcycle adventure. I want as many of you to get involved as possible! If you can't make a pledge, then just help spread this Kickstarter project and share it with others who may be able to. Let's make some history together!

MidlifeRiding screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 07:07 PM
MidlifeRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
MidlifeRiding OP
Adventurer

I'm starting to work on back-up plans in case the Kickstarter project does not get funded. I figured a community centered around adventure riding was the ideal place for it!

I am doing this trip regardless of the motorcycle and gear I end up using.

Kickstarter funded = New bike and gear
Kickstarter NOT funded = used/crappy bike and gear

This post is about the contingency plan in case I have to use a crappy bike/gear because honestly, that's all I can afford.

I may be looking for a cheap/free/loaner motorcycle to use for this epic adventure. Ideally an enduro/dual sport and within a days driving distance from Richmond, VA. I don't care if I own it or if it's just lent to me to use for the trip. Of course better condition is preferred, but beggars can't be choosers so I'll take just about any good deal I can find and turn a crap motorcycle into an amazing thing with the adventure I have going.

If you or anyone you know has a spare motorcycle laying around that they either can't or don't ride, I'LL PUT IT TO GOOD USE and give you full credit for your assistance in helping to enable this epic adventure! Thanks for any leads or offers you send my way!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
MidlifeRiding OP
Adventurer

No surprise, the Kickstarter project did NOT get funded. That means I'm picking up a used motorcycle for this adventure.

I'm hunting down a fair condition KLR650 in my price range now (about $1,500 or less). Bike prep will follow and then I'll be hitting the road and finally starting this trip!

The only other big holdup at this point is that I'm now committed to helping my sister move from the 1st-5th of July. I'm working around that time frame and should be on the road within 1-2 weeks after the 5th of July.

I wish I had more solid plans for this, but I guess that's just what I get for making it all up as I go and doing this with no money. It is what it is.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
MidlifeRiding OP
Adventurer

Well, I bought my bike for the trip. It had a bent frame and some motor issues. I've been steadily repairing, upgrading, modifying, servicing and refreshing every aspect of the bike to get it ready for my trip.

Here's my 2005 Kawasaki KLR650 as it sits right now waiting on the last of the parts of I need to come in. This is the final mock-up after the frame straightening.

The page covering the full bike build can be found here and will keep getting updated as this bike evolves - http://midliferiding.com/about/bike/

Getting there! Little by little!