Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #166
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
A hike up to St Mary's Glacier. Not sure why but Howie had an obsession with taking jumping pictures, so I humor him.

I think this was on a hike to Boulder.

A wee bit of foot dipping in the creek. Excuse the bad photography.

Chowing down at a local eatery. Obama made a stop here to order some pizza and give a talk to the local students, which put this place on the map.

Heart attack burger:

Some after supper strolling down the main drag.

Sunset back in Denver.

pne screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:25 PM
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #167
PishPosh
n000000b

Oddometer: 356
Awesome rr! Your writing is hilarious

Waiting for an update!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #168
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm waiting as well! My internet has been knocked out for a week now and the call center in india doesn't seem to be much help.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #169
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Pne,
Loving your report. Next bike trip I'll be less lazy and start a report myself. The Colorado back country discovery trail was great, 6 of us did it July 18-Aug 3. About 5000km in total. It was amazing, Colorado and their big passes and old mining roads are nuts. 13000 feet of zig zag, hairpin climbing. The colour of the mountains are something we do not see in the Alberta Rockies. Renting a bike or Jeep next time your in Colorado would be a good idea. The area around Silverton is special.
Ride safe

Mike from Canmore
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #170
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Pne,
Loving your report. Next bike trip I'll be less lazy and start a report myself. The Colorado back country discovery trail was great, 6 of us did it July 18-Aug 3. About 5000km in total. It was amazing, Colorado and their big passes and old mining roads are nuts. 13000 feet of zig zag, hairpin climbing. The colour of the mountains are something we do not see in the Alberta Rockies. Renting a bike or Jeep next time your in Colorado would be a good idea. The area around Silverton is special.
Ride safe

Mike from Canmore
Must have been epic ride Mike, I'll definately be back to CO I think a proper dirt bike would be a hoot. Boy the air was nice and thick coming back to sea level. I'm moving to canmore in a couple weeks, you'll have to show me some local trails!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #171
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Everything is back in order, shiny new wireless router and my wallet is lighter. Unfortunately, the dirty bike is loaded into the truck and I set out for a week of trail riding tomorrow morning in Kelowna. It's a tough being me, I know.

pne screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #172
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Wo, wo, wo mister. work before play. Get...get back here!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #173
ShinyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb Great report and pictures!!!

Im totally in!

By the way...the Superduke is a real hot bike!

Since 04.2013: Honda Transalp PD10
Since 02.2014: Beta Alp 200
ShinyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #174
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Lunch in Denver, a really fantastic diner called Mod Market, fresh produce, tasty sandwiches and salads, and it didn't cost much more than fast food. I wish we had places like this in Edmonton.

Where I'm from, flatiron is a cut of beef. Guess it's also a range:

After Denver I rode up to Fort Collins to check out some more Colorado roads. I had a bit of time to kill and made my way up highway 119 via Nederland, and north on 72 to Estes Park. I took my sweet time, when I got to Estes Park it was getting late. I turned towards Fort Collins to meet up with ADVer Coloradical who had a tent spot for me. We swapped dirt biking stories, and he treated me to some local microbrew and a surprisingly good local BBQ joint.

Coloradical also has the orange kool-aid affliction. That 950 adventure makes my bike look tiny!

The next day I rode out to Rocky Mountain National Park. It was a wee bit chilly, and once I made it to the top of the pass, I turned around and started hi-tailing it home. Some nasty clouds were forming and I didn't want to be caught in a storm. Truth be told, I was getting used to seeing the mountains, so I didn't snap too many pictures and just enjoyed the ride.

An ancient piece of mining equipment on display, not sure what little town this was in. I believe Lyons?

Just for fun, this is one of the electric shovels we used at work. The bucket is large enough to park a pickup truck inside, and it takes about 2.5 buckets to fill a 400T truck.

pne screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 11:20 AM
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #175
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

The next morning I rode highway 14 West, along Poudre Canyon Hwy. A fun twisty road, not at all in the direction I was heading, so I did a "Out and back" ride. Coming back East, I turned onto the best gem of a road ever. And it kills me to say this but I'm not 100% certain what it was! The page is missing from my journal and looking on my Butler map I can't figure out how I found this twisty bit. I must have been in exploration mode using my GPS, but I'm almost positive it was "Old Flowers Road" coming off highway 27, or thereabouts.

This road was frighteningly twisty and sharp. In fact, this was the first and only time I blew a double yellow line coming into a corner marked for 10mph. This one caught me off guard, the road itself is well worth the trek out there.

The rest of the day was a lot tamer, I slabbed it down to southern CO to a sleepy little town called La Veta, to spend the night in a camper owned by old2wheeler. There wasn't much going on in this place, besides deer wandering around peoples yards. I learned that the natives called the West/East Spanish Peaks the bossom of the earth, since rain came from the mountains, and they looked like giant boobies.

The next morning was National Sand Dunes time. This park was bizarre, just a huge set of dunes out in the middle of nowhere. Lots of people hiking and some people tobogganing down the slopes on waxed boards.

I have a strong distaste for hiking, especially in sand. I got far enough to take some pictures and came straight back, it was HOT.

This place would have been a lot more fun with dune buggies and dirt bikes, but since it's a national park only bird watching, picture taking, and other quiet, boring activities are allowed. I think a ranger was giving a talk about the different types of sand fleas that lived here. zzzzz.

pne screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:30 PM
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #176
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Next day I had New Mexico in my sights. Trying to avoid the long and straight highways, I took 285 south and got onto 17, a more scenic route across the border. Although the road is nothing to brag about, the scenery coming into NM is gorgeous.

I stopped on the side of the road for a cup of tea, and to enjoy the view.

On cue, this coal burner comes chugging along. Whoever lives in this valley has a little slice of paradise.

At this point I had made a rough plan to find a motel in Taos for a few days, and take in the 4th of July. As luck would have it, I get to Taos and it starts pouring out. I quickly find a tree to park under and hide out in an ice cream parlor until it slows to a drizzle. But it doesn't stop, and my google search doesn't show any promising motels. I decide to push on to Sante Fe and shacked up at a nice biker friendly motel, the lamp lighter. I spent the next couple of days walking around old town and watching the 4th of July fireworks, which was not as epic as I'd pictured.

Local festivities for the 4th, a car show and some live music:

Drool..

pne screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 10:22 PM
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #177
sam0182
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Great pictures!
sam0182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #178
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
Wo, wo, wo mister. work before play. Get...get back here!!!
umm, yea sorry about that! Too busy having adventures I guess On a little tangent here is what I rode last week. Bear Creek Trails by Kelowna, BC. By far the best managed offroad trail system I've ever had the pleasure of riding. Keep up the excellent work out there guys.

Is it wrong that most guys I ride with are retired? Who else has time for a mid week dirt bike jaunt anyways?

I have discovered how wonderful it is to have a RAM mounted GPS. Of course, I didn't learn this until after my trip.

Ok, ok, last one. This thread is about the superduke after all...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #179
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
The next morning I rode highway 14 West, along Poudre Canyon Hwy. A fun twisty road, not at all in the direction I was heading, so I did a "Out and back" ride. Coming back East, I turned onto the best gem of a road ever. And it kills me to say this but I'm not 100% certain what it was! The page is missing from my journal and looking on my Butler map I can't figure out how I found this twisty bit. I must have been in exploration mode using my GPS, but I'm almost positive it was "Old Flowers Road" coming off highway 27, or thereabouts.

This road was frighteningly twisty and sharp. In fact, this was the first and only time I blew a double yellow line coming into a corner marked for 10mph. This one caught me off guard, the road itself is well worth the trek out there.
Sweet, you were up in my old riding areas. I'm guessing you were on Stove Prairie and the really twisty one was likely Rist Canyon, that's a blast of a road. Was the super twisty section flat or downhill? Old Flowers is a fun Jeep trail but it's all dirt, turns into Rist Canyon which is paved.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #180
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
Sweet, you were up in my old riding areas. I'm guessing you were on Stove Prairie and the really twisty one was likely Rist Canyon, that's a blast of a road. Was the super twisty section flat or downhill? Old Flowers is a fun Jeep trail but it's all dirt, turns into Rist Canyon which is paved.
it was definately downhill with some very fun switchbacks. I saw a local in a pickup truck come through one bend sideways, he was having fun.