Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #211
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbin View Post
Great story... I look forward to the next one! The last picture doesn't work for me, either.
sorry about that, flickr is playing hard ball. Should be fixed.. I hope.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #212
Webstermark
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I can relate 100% what you mean by settling into a routine in an environment that should, on paper anyway, always be inspiring. I'm fortunate to travel extensively for work and I take full advantage of the places I could never afford to go on my own means. However, I'm married so its a little different than your situation, but I've learned that sometimes being in a fabulous city or seeing amazing sights by yourself is like your example earlier where you referenced Forrest Gump. Without the person you love most in the world to share it with, even God's greatest creations are lessened.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.
Webstermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #213
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for that. I just missed you in a couple of spots. Would have been great to buy you a beer.

Awesome Adventure!!!!
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #214
bjornarhuse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Loved it

Totally unreal to be able to go that far in one country. Norway can be done in a week (iron butt style, but anyways...).

Enjoyed it!
bjornarhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #215
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 672
I'm sad the trip is over but I enjoyed it. Great RR!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #216
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Fellow SuperDuker

Yo man,
Mail order parts to you next motel while on the road. Motels will be glad to hold your tires , chains and other gear. They know you will show for your gear. Last time I mail ordered tires they showed up the next day, with standard shipping.
Well, you got a taste with this ride. I bet you next trip will be even better.
Live and learn. Nothing quite like experience. eh?

DougFir on SuperDuke.net
DiggerD here on ADV
DiggerD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #217
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

Chain Maintenence

I get over 30K from chains. Rust is the big killer of chains. 90 wt. gear lube works good e-nuf to fight off rust. A Grung brush made to clean m/c chains with the handle cut short is e-z to pack along with a small squeeze bottle for the 90 wt. gear lube. Lube on the inside of the chain and it will fling the dirt out and off. The 90 wt. is e-z to clean off the chain unlike the no fling chain lubes in a can. Just don't over do it and oil your tire. Do it early and often. Like your save command on your computer.
Once you have rust on the chain it will eat the "O" rings up and there goes your factory lube. Game over. The red color coming off your chain and sticking to your swing arm..is not factory lube..it's rust.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #218
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD View Post
I get over 30K from chains. Rust is the big killer of chains. 90 wt. gear lube works good e-nuf to fight off rust. A Grung brush made to clean m/c chains with the handle cut short is e-z to pack along with a small squeeze bottle for the 90 wt. gear lube. Lube on the inside of the chain and it will fling the dirt out and off. The 90 wt. is e-z to clean off the chain unlike the no fling chain lubes in a can. Just don't over do it and oil your tire. Do it early and often. Like your save command on your computer.
Once you have rust on the chain it will eat the "O" rings up and there goes your factory lube. Game over. The red color coming off your chain and sticking to your swing arm..is not factory lube..it's rust.
good advice, I was using the teflon lube from walmart, I bet the chain would have given me a few more miles if I kept up with it every day from the start. It was the original though and 25k is not bad.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #219
kurtisminder
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Amazing

Absolutely one of my favorite RRs. Great pictures, good humor, lessons on the road. Thank you.

How long did this take end to end? Are you going to do another soon?
kurtisminder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #220
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. The reason I signed up to this forum is because I plan on taking a cross country, four corners trip next year. Your story has got me pumped up and looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #221
DiggerD
Gnarly Adventurer

The Time to Lube the Chain

"I bet the chain would have given me a few more miles if I kept up with it every day from the start. It was the original though and 25k is not bad."

The best time to clean and lube the chain is after the days ride while the chain is still warm. This will get rid of the moisture if any so the chain will not rust. WD40 works to rid the water. W D = Water Displacement, but I only use it when in rain or dirt biking in the winter mud. It always reminds me of taking care of your horse before you take care of your self at the end of a ride. I love my bikes.

I hate to end any vacation because of mechanical problems. I remember camping out and eating stuff I would have never ate just to stay out in the wood longer.

I have had good luck with Tryflow lube for chains too. Shake before using to get the teflon mixed and on you chain.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #222
camoto
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Excellent RR! It's great to see a report from Soupadook!
camoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #223
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisminder View Post
Absolutely one of my favorite RRs. Great pictures, good humor, lessons on the road. Thank you.

How long did this take end to end? Are you going to do another soon?
Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was on the road for 2 months. I don't have anything planned in the books for now I'm about to jet off to South America for awhile to poke around down there sans bike. I sold the superduke and picked up a husaberg that will be converted to a dualsport. I'm thinking the next ride is going to be entirely offroad. I really like being in the dirt!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #224
Mastercylinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Just played catch up on your RR. Very nice. Thank you.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #225
Hack'dTiger
n00b schn00b

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
Better make some loud noises to scare it off. "WOOOOHOOOO!!!" I lay there in silence for a moment, realizing how stupid of a noise I just made. Hopefully this bear wasnt the party type.