In!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #77
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrev View Post
Here is our picture of or noble rider at our "tent Space" near Redding, Ca

oh ya... that was the morning after a nice cool AC'd room and a few cold beers. As I recall I was not smiling when I pulled in, in 108 degree heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
That thought, pictures like that-yeah, I'm subscribed.

Have you thought about figuring out how to pack your weight lower on the bike?
nope, and the saddle bags have been disintegrating as well, serves me right for buying some cheap $30 bags. One method that seems to work is to just throw stuff out. I left that silly folding shovel at a campsite, never did bury any poop with it. Tossed a bunch of cold weather crap, and just about everything in my toiletries bag besides toothbrush, soap, and TP.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #78
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

So I left the story off on the coast at redwood national forest. That morning I packed up my shit and continued south, next stop Redding. I headed East on 299, it was foggy and cold along the coast, but once I started heading inland it got hot quick. Pretty soon I was peeling off layers and sweating profusely. 299 is a great road some awesome views and great twisty sections. Unfortunately there is a few miles of the highway that is missing, and you are rerouted through some crappy gravel bypass that has apparently been this way for awhile. Maybe this will get finished soon because I would have loved to ride this road all the way through.

Anyhow I stop in some small dot on the map to fill up, and I see a guy on a harley stopped on the side of the road on his cell phone. Go inside, pay for gas, pump gas, notice he is still sitting there looking pretty sorry for himself. So I walk over and ask if he needs help. He hits the starter and we hear clickclickclickclick. "I think the batteries dead" Yea that sounds pretty dead to me. But I reassure him that we will get this thing started. Since we are at the top of a gentle hill, I tell him I'll just give it a push start.

So he gets on the bike and starts duck walking, and I get behind it and put my weight into it. Holy fack. I don't know my harleys but this thing is fully dressed with hard cases, and feels like pushing a car. Slowly... he starts rolling down the hill, and lets the clutch out in 2nd gear. The bike stops dead. I've never seen that happen before, no skid, not a sound, just stops DEAD.

Awww man, can we try it one more time please? I think he puts it in 4th this time, I feel really bad for him now. Ok, sure. I start pushing again, and I really give it my all this time. As you can tell from the pictures I'm not a big guy, so as I'm doing my best strongman impression this thing is maybe approaching 10mph at best. He lets the clutch out and the same thing happens again, it just stops dead.

Facking fack, I'm pissed now, really sweating and panting. We're about 3/4 down the hill. Ok fine one more time. He puts it in 6th gear, we do the whole dog and pony show again, and this time it turns over once. Literally it gave the most pathetic *whump* and then stops dead again. So what else could I do, I apologized and left him on the side of the road for dead. (not really, the tow truck was on the way).

-------------

So on to Redding. I was not prepared for the massive heat wave I was about to ride into. As I got closer to Redding I was close to passing out on the bike. I stopped a few miles outside of town and ran into a pond on the side of the road where one couple was wading. They gave me a funny look as I wade in there right beside them in black cardhartts, solid leather jacket, and gloves. I give myself one of those elephant style baths but I'm dry again by the time I hit town.

Since it was around lunch I decided to run up to Lassen to escape the heat. I had to squid it for this section, as I was definitely suffering from heat exhaustion in that dumb dainese solid no-vent no-perf jacket I had on.

Lassen is kinda neat, not the jaw dropping scenery I had been experiencing, but some pretty views. This huge rock was tossed here from the eruption. I think it was called Hot Rock

Here's a pretty view going up the pass:

My photography skills need a bit of work:

I forget what this spot was called, but there was a trail head that lead to some interesting views and some hot springs that was closed. Maybe it was hells something or other. Someone might know this?

Also kinda noteworthy is a few more miles down the road, there's a spot where sulphur ponds are bubbling out of the ground. I didn't take many pictures here because it smelled like a big nasty cloud of fart, I just wanted to leave ASAP.

That evening I returned to Redding (where it had not cooled down by much) and stayed with goldenrev in his penthouse suite. Boy was I glad to be indoors with the AC on. goldenrev's wife also showed me a lemon/orange/grapefruit mutant tree that I thought was super cool. And a bonus, she has a miata which is A+ in my books. More on this later...

pne screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 08:29 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #79
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

From Redding I headed West back to the PCH on 36. Golden had recommended a particular road to follow, placenta? patina? platina? Anyhow, mother of god this road was twisty. It just kept climbing and climbing, with tight corners marked for 15mph. At first I had a shit eating grin on my face, but after 45 minutes of riding through this stuff I was beat. The road is so twisty there is not even a spot to pull over and take a break. I really missed the supermoto in this section, that would have been a hoot without all the luggage. The super duke handles well, but with all the bags strapped on the back, it feels exactly like an awkward bike with 70lbs strapped to the seat would.

Continuing on 36 was an awesome road as well, variation from tight to medium speed corners, and a short section of a few miles with no center line.

As I got closer to the coast, I saw a ton of cruisers. Some kind of redwood rally was going on and the roadside bars were packed. Something weird happens as you ride near the coast, which as a canuck from the praries I'm not used to. In a span of about 2 miles, the temperature dropped from the 90's into the low 70s. It felt like hitting an invisible wall of cold air, but I had to pull over and get some layers on.

From there I rode thru the Avenue of Giants, which I hate to say is not that impressive besides a few spots where you can get some good pictures. I was expected to see some massive trees, and there were a few, but these redwoods were mostly tall. These pictures go against what I'm saying, but take my word for it, these particular trees were the exceptions. Plus I was trying to make them look as big in the composition. But if you want to see some real girth, err that sounds wrong. If you want to see some real fat wood, go to kings canyon national park.

I kept riding down the coast with plans to stop in Mendocino. When I got to Fort Bragg, I realized I had no cell coverage and no way to contact the guy I was meeting there. I stopped to chat with an old geezer and his wife who convinced me their 150cc honda scooters were highway worthy. And then tried my luck at the Beach Comber motel.

I'm looking for a room for tonight, just one. "Sir we have one room left, but we advise people to check out first because it is quite small. Normally we charge $120 but I could discount it to $70." Ok. I grab the card key and picture some kind of haunted broom closet. I open the door and it's a normal room. Even had fancy organic soaps and shampoo in the bathroom, this place was trying really hard to be upscale. So I walk back to the front desk, "Yea you're right, it is awfully tiny, (does he know I've been sleeping in that tent strapped to my bike?) can you do any better on the price?

"I can do $50." Sold!! Not a moment too soon, as I hand him my credit card another biker walks in asking about a room. Sorry guy.

View from the pedestrian path behind the motel:

Posing outside the front door:

pne screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 10:59 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #80
MarcusWelds
transplant

Oddometer: 41
Ill be watchin this one
MarcusWelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #81
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
I packed up my shit and continued south,

And a bonus, she has a miata which is A+ in my books. More on this later...
Shoulda kept the shovel

I was subscribed prior to your Miata comment, but that would have pulled me in if I weren't.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #82
Mighty Kentor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Good reporting pne, thanks! Platina Road is one of my faves.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #83
Hotbrakes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Dude, I guarantee my wife and I missed you in several locations by only a day or two.

I hope you make it out here to VA, but understand that the heat in the south does not make anyone want spend much time outdoors. Best advice is to travel early or late (watch for deer) and avoid mid day riding. A Camelbak could very well save your life if you don't already have one.

If you need tires we can do them here, there's a KTM dealership somewhat close, and an oil change would be no prob. Tools, machine shop, tire changer, and beer.
Hotbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #84
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 370
Glad you stopped in last night. Still raining here! Take care.

Dan

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #85
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,183
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #86
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Glad you stopped in last night. Still raining here! Take care.

Dan
Hi Dan, thanks for that suggestion of fuel injector cleaner. Dumped a bottle of that stuff in today and I swear I got back another 20 ponies. Magazine mountain was awesome as well. Glad I came to Arkansas even though I can't understand a word anyone is saying...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #87
scoon66
Who is the Coon?

Oddometer: 2,740
Nice visiting with you, hope the rest of your trip goes well!
scoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #88
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 377
If you're in the Tampa area and need a Camelbak, I have a brand new one you can have!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #89
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
It was great to host you for the night. I hope you got some great pics and memories of Nebraska and eastern Wyoming!
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #90
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 370
John,
Give us an update. Good luck.

Dan

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote