ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Foot dragger OP
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Wildwood 400--Whos going? June 22/23 2013

So Ive ridden this ride about 4 times,it's always been a fun one with great scenery and backroads to slide and ride around on,I would have never found most of these roads except for riding this event.
Wildwood is out hiway 36 from Red Bluff.

I understand this year there are more options with more singletrack etc,big bikes are fine on the gravel road portion of the ride though.

Once we get to Fortuna by the coast,its handy to stay next to the brewery,good food,good beer,friendly waitress's.
Great lunchstops along the way as well.

I think its a funner ride then the Sheetiron,not so many bikes and riders involved,less traffic of that sort to contend with.

See you there!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Well of course I'll be there. Here's a link to the Ironman Dual Sport website for more info on this ride, http://www.ironmandualsport.com/Upcoming_Rides.php
There is also a thread on this forum about this and other Ironman Dual Sport rides here, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841176
Thanks for looking, Bob
Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Wildwood 400

I am looking to see if my g/f is interested in going on this ride. We did the Sheetiron this year (her first event) and she seems to have enjoyed it (easy route of course). She rides a Yamaha xt225 with the stock tank. I assume there are plenty of gas stops along the way? I haven't been to the Wildwood area except for riding the Lost Coast ride a few years ago to Fortuna. It looks like a scenic ride.
motowest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Motowest, if your girlfriend rode the Sheetiron and liked it she'll love the Wildwood 400!
There are A, B, C routes plus the Lost Coast Adventure bike route, so there is pretty much a route for riders of any skill level on any kind of bike.
Distance between gas stops varies depending on the route you take, but the longest one I believe is less than 120 miles with an average more like 80-90.
And of course the Scenery is absolutely amazing! I'll post a couple of pics from past rides below.

Rockgarden Bob screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 06:34 AM
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
andrew.pdx
Thump

Oddometer: 29
Looking for a roommate at Fortuna Comfort Inn

I'm looking forward to seeing this part of the country from the right perspective. So... who is going on this ride?

I got a non-smoking room w/ two queens at the Comfort Inn around the corner from the Eel River Brewery. Anyone not known for snoring is welcome to contact me about splitting it. See Amenities at http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fort...Hotel-Services

Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Andrew
andrew.pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
bmwgirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb Newbie to Wildwood 400

and super excited. I'll be attempting this on a 1200GS and NOT doing the single tracks! Got several buddies joining me - all first timers - all BMW'rs. Hope to do the B course and drop if it gets to be too much. I'm an advance beginner - lower intermediate - think I'll be ok on the B course?? Bob said I should avoid one section on the 2nd day and he's going to point that out to me.
Bob sounds like an awesome guy - can't wait to meet him. If you find our group - stop by and say hello! Happy to share a beverage! Oh, even easier - one gal (me) - 4 guys. G/F mentioned below is welcome to ride with us if she wants. Anyone know where this starts? Trying to plan our route up. Thanks.
bmwgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

bmwgirl and all Newbies to Wildwood, I look forward to seeing you on the ride!
This is a great ride for the "Advanced Beginner", the expert enduro rider and everyone in between. We have 3 separate routes, A, B, and C and even those routes have some options so it's pretty much a great ride for any rider on any bike. Looks like we'll have a good showing from the Women Riders this year also, still hoping my wife can get the time off to ride with me again this year. Anyway the Staging area is located on private property in the community of Wildwood, CA. This is about 1/2 way between Red Bluff and Fortuna on Hwy. 36 very close to where the Wildwood store used to until it burned down this past winter. There is free camping at the staging area Friday night before the ride and plenty of room for RVs. Of course for more information about this and other Ironman Dual Sport rides check out my website, http://www.ironmandualsport.com

Here's a little more about the ride.
My son Doug

My Wife

Just some guy riding down the Avenue of the Giants

A little video I made the first year this pretty much the B loop
http://youtu.be/2eqUeKa2Eao

A little of the "A" loop thanks to my friend Matt
http://youtu.be/7EcTz5h6AGQ

Rockgarden Bob screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 02:48 PM Reason: Trying to embed video
Rockgarden Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Wildwood 400

I am planning on going, wouldn't miss it. Too much fun. If you haven't ridden this one yet, your missing out on a fun ride!!!!!!

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 07:19 AM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 449
you'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwgirl View Post
and super excited. I'll be attempting this on a 1200GS and NOT doing the single tracks! Got several buddies joining me - all first timers - all BMW'rs. Hope to do the B course and drop if it gets to be too much. I'm an advance beginner - lower intermediate - think I'll be ok on the B course?? Bob said I should avoid one section on the 2nd day and he's going to point that out to me.
Bob sounds like an awesome guy - can't wait to meet him. If you find our group - stop by and say hello! Happy to share a beverage! Oh, even easier - one gal (me) - 4 guys. G/F mentioned below is welcome to ride with us if she wants. Anyone know where this starts? Trying to plan our route up. Thanks.
As Bob mentioned, there are plenty of options for all levels of rider. I've done it twice on a DL650 w/Tourances, so anyone can do it...

The easier/road loops are great as well-truly great scenery!

Some other unknown hooligan on the Avenue of the Giants
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Foot dragger OP
singletracker

Well this looks like its coming together nicely,some more ADV'ers are coming out to give it a try. It IS a fun one,a casual pace will still get you to Fortuna in time,the lunch stops are in nice spots with great food,some time riding through the redwoods is always a good thing.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Foot dragger OP
singletracker

I wonder how much singletrack is on this ride? Ive heard there's a bunch of new trail for the A loop?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,417
Signed up with the big Katoom. Y'all think B route for a short guy on a tall bike?

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Signed up with the big Katoom. Y'all think B route for a short guy on a tall bike?

S
Alleycatdad, I've ridden the "B" route and my Lost Coast route on my 990, Had a great ride even though I did get my feet wet on the 13 stream crossings at the end of day 2. It's a great ride look forward to seeing you there!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Wildwood

Iam going sounds like a blast. Do we rent the gps when we get to wildwood? Do you guys know is there a limit to how many can go? I have to Waite until the end of the week to pay.
Klrcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,417
Is there an extra charge for 2-up? Thinking I may bring my 12 year old along... We're overdue and he's pretty durable. :)

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote