User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
blatant OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Shipping bike --- info needed please

In an attempt to find a great motorcycle the potential to ship grows with distance. Especially if fly n ride, or owner riding to you is not an option.

Reaching out to the collective regarding Motorcycle Shipping resources, experiences, thumbs up or down, luck had with various companies, costs incurred etc.

If you could chime in i would greatly appreciate it. I've searched around and did not locate any sort of shipping thread or collection on here.

If i missed it i'm sure y'all will be quick to point me in the right direction. This seems like the right place to post, since this has the most relevance to people buying bikes.

Thanks for the help.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
find one in NC and I'll ride it out to ya.
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
scrambler73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Uship is going to provide the best bang for your buck.

BUT!!!!!!

you have to do your homework!!!!

DO NOT go with the "Cheapest" guy. Go with someone that has a proven track record with MANY successful deliveries. Feedback is everything.

That said, I have went with the "cheapest guy" when having a project or parts bike shipped because well... its probably already in crappy condition so who cares, right? lol

Another option is Forward Air, which ships from terminal to terminal (usually located near major airport) They have steel motorcycle shipping containers. I haven't used them in a few years, so cannot speak to their current pricing, but the service has always been good.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Hey I can provide feedback from happy customers!
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
adiosmofo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Keyboard

My friend works at a high end motorcycle shop and he turned me onto Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping. Top notch delivery service.

West coast service not so great, but anywhere in the Central/Eastern time zone is $625 one way.

http://keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com/index.php
adiosmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
MyMonyPit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I've used Uship twice. Once for an old Triumph motorcycle and once for a Triumph GT-6 coupe. Been happy with both experiences. As previously said, pay attention to the feedback. Also, if you have the time and can be flexible, give yourself a couple of weeks to watch the bids. They tend to get quite a bit cheaper as the bidding process goes and you might find a great hauler that just wants to add one more bike to fill his trailer and shoots you a decent price.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Timan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I would add; have the shipper take pics. of any damage to the bike with the seller present. That way if that perfect condition bike arrives with a scratch somebody has some splaining to do.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMonyPit View Post
I've used Uship twice. Once for an old Triumph motorcycle and once for a Triumph GT-6 coupe. Been happy with both experiences. As previously said, pay attention to the feedback. Also, if you have the time and can be flexible, give yourself a couple of weeks to watch the bids. They tend to get quite a bit cheaper as the bidding process goes and you might find a great hauler that just wants to add one more bike to fill his trailer and shoots you a decent price.
^^This.

I have used uship 4 or 5 times now with great success. Keep an eye on the feedback and communicate directly with bidders to ensure that you expectations are met!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
^^This.

I have used uship 4 or 5 times now with great success. Keep an eye on the feedback and communicate directly with bidders to ensure that you expectations are met!

..ditto that...you can get bids and check feedback.
Best option out there...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
psyco
Motard Madness

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMonyPit View Post
+1 This is how to do it , the longer the bid goes the prices will drop . You will also notice that some of the bids will expire quick or be pulled . The shipper is just trying to find one more bike or car to fit in the trailer so he has a full load . So the price will drop quite a bit toward the end to just try and fill the space . Hope that helps . Good luck .
psyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
^^This.

^^this + 1 more

I've used them twice as well .... make sure you are on top of communication the whole time and check feedback. Uship works great as long as you are paying attention.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
O-livier
S'en fout la mort!

Oddometer: 181
Ship

Used Uship a couple of times and good experience (3 to be exact : NC to MA; KS to MA; MA to CA). Shipped my GS from Boston to SF last year ($~700). Have to admit I was not super comfortable when I saw the very old RV with the open trailer behind... Ken (shipper, nice guy) assured me that the rear view camera + one of his dog sleeping under the trailer at night was the "ultimate" security :
01 KTM 400 EXC
O-livier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
Laugh

...nnn-naw. You want an enclosed trailer.
Too many variables for my comfort.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,432
I've heard good things about both of these:

http://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

http://www.alliedmotorcycleshipping.com/

I'm shipping a BMW to Seattle and the dealer there recommended Allied/Federal. He said they do this all the time and Allied/Federal sends two guys to your home to make sure the weight of the bike can be handled properly. The dealer also gives a weeks free storage if you use Allied/Federal.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote