User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
950 Adv brake rotor / caliper interference

I had to do a trail side front tube replacement yesterday. I am new to adv bikes, but not new to dirt bikes / KTMs.

While removing the front wheel, I thought I was careful to catch any spacers that may fall, but anything can happen. I remounted the wheel, very similar operation to my EXC bikes, pumped up my front brake pressure, checked for a free spinning wheel, etc etc etc, and away I went.

About 50 miles down the highway while exiting (and braking) I felt something weird in the front wheel. I pulled over and found this:

According to the ktm parts diagram, there is a spacer on each side, but on wheel removal and re installation, this is what my spacer situate looks like:

Rider's Left side:

Rider's Right side:

It appears to me the rider's left side has a spacer while the right side is spacer-less (I think the axle is stepped, acting as a spacer). But somehow, the wheel went right (rider's right) and the rotor started hitting the caliper support (the rotor has a chunk of aluminum and the gouges are all actually melted aluminum).

Like I said, I probably did something wrong (and am very lucky this didn't cause something uglier).

-what did I do wrong to cause this?
-is there a spacer on the rider right side that I'm missing?
-has this happened to any of you?

I'm going to start tear down and assess the damage and order parts, but would like any of your help to keep this from happening again.

Thanks!
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
Have a look in this parts' fische

http://www.munnracing.com/
you should have these two spacers at both sides:
part No #60009012000
part No #60009013000 this seems to be missing
Nothing serious
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
It looks to me like your spacers are there. On the Left side of the bike the spacer is bigger and visible, but on the Right side it is thinner, doesn't stick out of the hub much and the stepped axle sits against it. If this spacer is there, then the only way for the wheel to shift to the right and rub a rotor is if the axle is not all the way seated into the fork leg. The end of the axle should be flush with the outside of the fork leg. It is easy to get burrs on the end of the axle that make it not want to slide all the way in.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
It looks to me like your spacers are there. On the Left side of the bike the spacer is bigger and visible, but on the Right side it is thinner, doesn't stick out of the hub much and the stepped axle sits against it. If this spacer is there, then the only way for the wheel to shift to the right and rub a rotor is if the axle is not all the way seated into the fork leg. The end of the axle should be flush with the outside of the fork leg. It is easy to get burrs on the end of the axle that make it not want to slide all the way in.
Looks to me like your rotor wasn't placed between the brake pads on the right side. I think you have both pads on one side of the rotor.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Looks to me like your rotor wasn't placed between the brake pads on the right side. I think you have both pads on one side of the rotor.
+1

Did in on a Suzuki once, sparks were flying all over..
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
^^^ THIS ^^^

It looks like both spacers are where they need to be the above is the only thing that makes sense. Pull the wheel and take a look, take pics too.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Yep, both pads are on the other side or you just lost it while changing.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
That could be the case. Hard to say without taking it apart and looking.

Note that the torque on the axle net sets the proper spacing on the nut side. It's a little tricky to get that side set properly and usually requires me to get it close and then tighten the pinch bolts on the OTHER side to torque the nut down. Then you tighten the pinch bolts on the nut side and loosen the pinch bolts on the other side. To set the non-nut side, you usually have to just check the spacing of the brake rotor in the brake caliper. The rotor should be centered in the caliper. Set it by eye and then tighten your pinch bolts. On a KTM, this usually means that the axle is slightly recessed into the holder, but it really depends on your bike.

The other thing to know is that you have to take the caliper off of the caliper mounting bracket every now and again and grease the pins that the caliper slides on. Pack those little rubber boots as full of grease as possible and reassemble. If the caliper pins get corroded, the caliper will not slide around as it should, and getting your rotor spacing right becomes all but impossible.

Hope that helps.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:

This is a really good point guys, but why is there melted aluminum BELOW the pad mating surface of the rotor? It seems to me, that somehow the caliper mounting bracket, not the caliper itself, has come in contact with the inner portion of the rotor.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys for all the insight. Haven't been home yet to disassemble. I'll get to it in an hour or two.

Both theories are very plausible. The axle not being seated could have been caused by some sand or small gravel in there and it's totally possible I effed up getting the rotor in BETWEEN the pads.

I had very little light to help me and the sun had set. Total learning experience for me for sure. Also, this is my first trail side flat repair. Over 10,000 miles riding my exc's in this desert and not one flat. So I'll put more thought into my flat kit (brighter flashlight).

I'll keep u all posted as to what te outcome or cause is.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Forgot to mention,

The low chunk of metal is a mystery to me. Whatever it was cut an arced groove out of the caliper support. Almost like there was a bolt was there.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Have a spare caliper I could part with at an OK price.

Full amount would go to my attempt to raise some money for charity.

Depending on location not sure what shipping would land on.

I tighten right side to be able to torque up the big nut, then clamp left side and loosen right side, apply brake, work the forks some.

That lands the axle a little inside the clamp of the fork, about 1mm.

While axle is flush with clamp disc and caliper makes contact, just a little doubt it would end up with the damage you have suffered.

Good luck sorting it out and let us know what was wrong so we can learn from you mistake !

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Forgot to mention,

The low chunk of metal is a mystery to me. Whatever it was cut an arced groove out of the caliper support. Almost like there was a bolt was there.
That might be what is left of your caliper piston if indeed that was what was contacting the rotor when braking instead of the pads.

Cant wait to see pictures when you take it apart.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
In the second photo, I cannot see the brake pad.

Is it possible it fell during the tire repair??
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post

The other thing to know is that you have to take the caliper off of the caliper mounting bracket every now and again and grease the pins that the caliper slides on. Pack those little rubber boots as full of grease as possible and reassemble. If the caliper pins get corroded, the caliper will not slide around as it should, and getting your rotor spacing right becomes all but impossible.
Yes- happened on my EXC and I could not get the caliper halves apart. Finally broke them trying to do so. Apparently one can purchace the pins by themselves from a honda dealer, but not KTM.

Now, they get pulled and greased every tire change along with the chain adjusters.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote