Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
......the only way for the wheel to shift to the right and rub a rotor is if the axle is not all the way seated into the fork leg. ......
.......It is easy to get burrs on the end of the axle that make it not want to slide all the way in.
This ^^^ EXACT thing happened to me,
and my same rotor got rubbed same as OP's, but not as bad.
I think THIS is the problem.

CJ Racer was there (on the way to the KTM Rally last year) and he blamed me for manhandling my axle when I have flatted in the field, and then not cleaning the axle before jamming it back in with the wrong tool (he was right, I used a big stick ).

He said it wouldn't have happened if I had installed his blingy orange axle pusher that was sitting unused on my workbench as he spoke Then he proceeded to showed me how to install and use his blingy orange axle pusher, because I'm an f'ing dork of a mechanic

I took my axle to the bench grinder to de-burr the outside, then CJ took a small round file to the inside, cleaned it and greased it, and it slid right home. It was probly only about 1 mm off from fitting in correctly, and my pads were thin, so it was enough to do the job to my rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
......The end of the axle should be flush with the outside of the fork leg.
My axle actually now sits about 1/4 mm inset from my rider's right side fork edge, but it aligns perfectly in the pads/rotors, because I had to grind that much off the end to make it fit in neatly. YMMV.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
DirtyAdv: I appreciate the offer, but all I need is the caliper mount. Plus, fom Sweden, postage would probably be murder. I could donate directly to the charity you speak of, tho.

Here's the final tear down and assessment..........I still don't have an answer. I DO believe the axle wasn't quite flush or inset, but that wouldn't explain the lower groove of havoc that ocurred. Not having the axle seated all the way would explain the outboard side of the rotor contacting the inside of the caliper. THE GROOVE AND CHUNK OF ALUMINUM ARE STILL A MYSTERY TO ME, THO.

Heres another pic before I dismantle:

Wheel removed:

Another angle (see the groove?) and no, the groove does not line up with the rotor bolts:

Here's the rotor. The melted aluminum filled the SS gouges, should be able to sand this to usable:

Here's the chunk of alu that was on the rotor spokes. It was lined up with groove. It popped right off the rotor spoke:

Pads (shows the rotor was installed correctly between them):

Here's a couple pics of the caliper bracket. It shows the depth of the groove and the profile:

So once again, axle could have been seated another mm, but that doesn't explain the huge ass groove.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post

Here's a couple pics of the caliper bracket. It shows the depth of the groove and the profile:

So once again, axle could have been seated another mm, but that doesn't explain the huge ass groove.
The deep groove could be explained by a rock that got jammed in the rotor or caliper during the flat fix.

Are all of your sheet metal spring clips that hold the brake shoes in place?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #19
grant22 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Yes, the retaining plate was in place.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #20
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 428
Laugh

The RHS fork leg floats until you tighten the 2x8mm bolts at the bottom. They dont sit against a machined step in the axle. If you push the RH fork leg in too far you will force the fixed caliper mount onto the rotor. If you read the manual it says to bounce the forks after you have fitted the wheel back on to let the RH leg sit in the correct spot on the axle before you tighten the 8mm bolts. Bet it wont happen again
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #21
Tigly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Spacers are different

Grant, the spacers ("distance bushings" as per Owner Manual) are different in size. The left one is wider. If you switch them by mistake you get exactly the type of problem you described
Tigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 AM   #22
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
+1 on this was made by a foreign object.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #23
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Caliper support started melting from friction and a little got stuck on the brake disc and was then moving and cooled enough to stick next turnover more was stuck to the disc and keept eating away on the caliper support?

Just a thought.

Just looked and a new support is close to half the price of a complete caliper with support. Risk you have overheated the caliper badly also?

At some point both brake fluid and seals must take a beating.

Maybe a flush of the system and new fluid might be something to consider.

Glad it didn´t sieze up on you and cause an accident, spare parts are cheap, injuries expensive!

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #24
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Just stumbled upon this thread... Thank god for no serious injury!

I'm in the process of making a custom caliper adapter and, as with other "critical" projects always seem to find a gory example of metal carnage somewhere on the internet... This is no expection.

I'd be interested to hear what the final conclusion is as to what caused this?

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote