ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
State of Jefferson Rally 2013

All of you who are coming over from the previous thread, you are in the right place.
Dates are 9/13th - 15th.
Campground is Bigfoot CG, a few miles past Junction City. The loop I am working on now leaves 299 in Junction City, about halfway between the 2, it is only a handful of miles of asphalt either way to get to the dirt but there will be some of the most awesome twisty riding to be done too!
Skunk Point in Big Bar is the only group camp within reasonable driving distance and will keep that in mind if the list of us gets long. Other than that I am looking at Junction City CG, East Weaver Creek CG and Steel Bridge CG in Douglas City.
I have done some Google Earth mapping and have a pretty nice loop made up between Junction City/299 and Hayfork. If you map search Rattlesnake Gap and Hayfork Bally you will get a good idea of the terrain and area. There are some good Jeep trails too, plus the side adventure to Hayfork Bally appears it could be challenging as well.
I also think there should be a good asphalt tour and 299 to Hwy 3 to Hayfork to Hyampom are some truly awesome roads and scenery...
Keep your input and ideas coming!
STATE OF JEFFERSON DUAL SPORT RALLY
September 13th, 14th, & 15th
Junction City, CA.
Join us for the 2nd annual SoJ DS rally in the Trinity mountains of Northern California. Camp alongside the Trinity River in an established campground with all the amenities of home. Cabins also available.
Riding for all skill levels, multiple A,B,and C routes will be available for download on your compatible GPS unit or limited roll charts will be provided.

Bill of Fare
Friday Saturday______
Burgers/Brats Tri Tip/Oysters
Potato/Mac salad Baked Potato
Green beans/Corn Asparagus
Breakfast burritos, coffee, and juice will be available in the mornings prior to ride departures. Sunday will be self paid breakfast at Junction City Café.
50.00 prepaid fee CONTACT
Reserve by ate Month="8" Day="1" Year="2013">8/1/13ate> Brian Eckerman
PayPal or Check 530-215-4092
briannsp@gmail.com

IN LIST:

Hop-Sing
Reddog1
BanhXeo
cme4lyt
PCC XR650L
wizz

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 04:02 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Camp grounds

There are several campgrounds in the area.
I love the Steel Bridge campground. However it is small and at the end of the road. People use it, as a in or out point for rafting/kayaking. I might have some reserve about leaving my gear there while out riding.
I am bad with names, but the campground right behind Douglas City is a bit more established and I believe has an on site host. It may be a State ran campground or even a federal campground.
Regardless, your weekend picks may work for me!
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

I was kinda liking the remote ones but that is a good point about security. I am going up in the next weekend or two and will check out the CGs...
Look forward to seeing you, Hop Sing...
I also plan on having routes available for those who use Basecamp. I will also have roll charts for those with holders, just like last year..

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 10:40 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

OK. Found a great place. Bigfoot CG in Junction City. They can handle the group, they have a General store, showers, flush toilets, etc., and it is right on the Trinity River.
It's just a few miles from the Dutch Creek turn off where there is ALOT of different riding from FS roads to more challenging Jeep Trails and singletrack. It is also 31 miles to Trinity Lake up Hwy 3 going West and 42 miles to Hayfork going East.... Hwy 3 is an awful fun road known for its twisties and if you are not done smiling from ear to ear you can go another 20 miles up Hyampom Rd, totally awesome...
Dates are 9/5 thru 9/8. She was very accommodating and said we should have no problem at all with availability or group size.
I already have some routes planned, one dirty and one asphalt. I will map out several more options before Sept. When I looked at the topo for Dog Run Springs section of the dirt route I was totally impressed with how it skimmed across the ridges to Hayfork. I had to Google Earth it. It looked amazing.
So I will be cooking Friday and Saturday night, probably more oysters like last year.... Let me know what kinds of drinkables everyone prefers, I will start taking fees the middle of July or beginning of August but the earlier I know who and how many are coming I can get a better grip on the food and drink amounts.
I'm excited! I think the riding we will see this year is some of the best we could ever hope for...
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
jeffersonrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Great country!
jeffersonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
OK. Found a great place. Bigfoot CG in Junction City. They can handle the group, they have a General store, showers, flush toilets, etc., and it is right on the Trinity River.
It's just a few miles from the Dutch Creek turn off where there is ALOT of different riding from FS roads to more challenging Jeep Trails and singletrack. It is also 31 miles to Trinity Lake up Hwy 3 going West and 42 miles to Hayfork going East.... Hwy 3 is an awful fun road known for its twisties and if you are not done smiling from ear to ear you can go another 20 miles up Hyampom Rd, totally awesome...
Dates are 9/5 thru 9/8. She was very accommodating and said we should have no problem at all with availability or group size.
I already have some routes planned, one dirty and one asphalt. I will map out several more options before Sept. When I looked at the topo for Dog Run Springs section of the dirt route I was totally impressed with how it skimmed across the ridges to Hayfork. I had to Google Earth it. It looked amazing.
So I will be cooking Friday and Saturday night, probably more oysters like last year.... Let me know what kinds of drinkables everyone prefers, I will start taking fees the middle of July or beginning of August but the earlier I know who and how many are coming I can get a better grip on the food and drink amounts.
I'm excited! I think the riding we will see this year is some of the best we could ever hope for...
This sounds great Brian! Let me know if you want any help pre-riding any routes. I'm totally down for a day trip up there.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Date change...

If that date is firm, I'm back in for this.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
cme4lyt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Brian,

Add me to the list !!! Planning on it right now.

Rgds..
cme4lyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Hey guys, Wow! I thought I wasn't getting any interest this year, I guess I have to subscribe to my own thread
Anyway, glad to hear from everyone, here are a few screenshots of what I think will be an AWESOME loop. Look at some of the USGS shots and how a lot of this rides some high ridges. Looks like some water crossings, jeep trails and "non maintained" side trips. Between the FS and USGS maps, Google Earth and Basecamp I feel pretty confident in the access but a day trip or possible overnighter to hit some of the questionable trails in definitely in order... Let watch the weather for a tolerable temp on a weekend and I will post and/or PM you guys that would like to go.
There is an easy way through here for the bigger bikes and a bunch of stuff that I won't do...
I know the screenshot off Basecamp isn't very detailed but kinda match it to the other ones and you get a good idea..

[URL=http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/skibumbrian/media/Screenshot15_zpsdcef6e1c.png.html]

Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

And a big bike loop....

Not really a loop though, there is only one way in and out of Hyampom via asphalt...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
PCC XR650L
n00b

Oddometer: 7
In!

I look forward to Riding with you guys again this year!
Brian, If you are doing any stouting rides let me know. I have my MC in fort Jones and im always looking to ride.
Regards,
Pete
PCC XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC XR650L View Post
I look forward to Riding with you guys again this year!
Brian, If you are doing any stouting rides let me know. I have my MC in fort Jones and im always looking to ride.
Regards,
Pete
Hey Pete, not sure what you mean by "stouting" rides but I think there will be challenging rides available for all. If I bring the KLR mine will be limited to B class rides. I am looking at picking up a TE610 and if I bring it or something similar that I don't mind dropping I would be up for some more technical stuff. "Come on down!", I am sure there will be guys that want to push it, if you want. All will be available from big bikes to nutty ****ers that want hill climbs... Attend at own risk.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #13
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

OK. A few more teaser shots. These came off of Google Earth and a just a few screen shots of MANY that kinda give some feeling of the area. I was following some of the roads/trails off of Big Creek and shot these. I was looking for a shot of incline that no one had topped but many have tried but haven't found it again. The view from Hayfork Bally must be awesome and the road there looks epic....

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
>"there is only one way in and out of Hyampom via asphalt... "

No, two ways.

1) The main county road from Hayfork.
2) Foresty Highway 60. 60, 47, 16, are USFS 'Chipseal'.

60 comes out in Burnt Ranch or take FH 47 to Big Bar... or take 16 and come out at Big Creek Road east of Hayfork. Dirt, you can take Soldier Creek to Junction City.

Most all of the USFS roads (paved or not) are fine for anything but street bikes.
Indian Valley (South of Hyampom) has some nice (semi legal) single track trails.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Yeah, I guess chip seal might pass as asphalt, more of a tar spray in my opinion though. Thanks for the tip, I will look that route up and see if I can turn it into a loop... Thanks again!