ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
The HLDMC group will be in the area the same weekend......Sounds like Trinity County is going to be 'crowded'....

Those tracks you have between Junction City and Hayfork are a blast and you have something for all skill levels. The northern one is quite technical and steep, however. Two-track with loose terrain and not always easy to follow in the field. The trail down from Hayfork Bally to the west side of Hayfork isn't easy to find in the field, either. Obviously, it's easier going down than up....Oh and there are suicidal bears out there....

There's another way out of Hyampom to the west. You climb the ridge then ride it south all the way to Highway 36, a few miles west of Forest Glen. Easy for any sized Adventure bike. Hyampom's Brews and Screws is a fun hangout....

While the views from Hayfork Bally aren't bad, you should really do a loop up to the Bully Choop Lookout just west of Whiskeytown Reservoir....Wow! Weaver Bally is another one that has great views of Weaverville, and is really close to Junction City, too. Again, easy for any adventure bike, though there are some long drops/big exposures on the upper sections.

Also be aware the Caltrans is doing work on 299 just east of Buckhorn Summit. They say they'll have one-way controlled traffic control 24-hours a day through the summer.

Be aware there is no gas in Junction City, so fill up before arriving. Also, the Wildwood Store burned last year, so I would guess no gas there, either. Gas IS available in Hayfork, Weaverville (299 in town, and on 3 near the airport), Lewiston, Trinity Center and Coffee Creek.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Thanks Capt Ron, I think Basecamp and a GPS is gonna help with the more obscure trails. I was hoping to lunch at Brews and Screws one of the days. sorry I missed you last year at French Gulch, I waited for an hour or so, when I got home I read you had a bad experience... hope to meet you someday!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Pre run next Saturday the 22nd for the SoJ rally. Lotsa stopping, notes, checking out CG, etc. All that want to go are welcome. Leaving Redding NLT 8-9 am.... Call or PM. 5302154092
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
PCC XR650L
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Hey Pete, not sure what you mean by "stouting" rides but I think there will be challenging rides available for all. If I bring the KLR mine will be limited to B class rides. I am looking at picking up a TE610 and if I bring it or something similar that I don't mind dropping I would be up for some more technical stuff. "Come on down!", I am sure there will be guys that want to push it, if you want. All will be available from big bikes to nutty ****ers that want hill climbs... Attend at own risk.
I meant to say scouting Rides.
Looks Great!
PCC XR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Check out previous post!!! Could be an interesting day....
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
4critter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey Brian, Eric here. Cpt Ron just sent over an email putting us in contact w/ each other. I have friends in town the weekend of the 22nd or I would be down to join you on your pre run ride. I live in Weaverville so this is my back yard and would be down to find more riders to explore with. Why dont you guys give me a call when you get done w/ your ride, stop by and knock back a cold one before you head back home. Anyone else in the area who wants to ride sometime, give me a call. 831-535-9300
4critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

That would be awesome, the company and your knowledge of the area greatly appreciated! Ron sent me several tracks he has, plan on looking close at a couple in the Big Creek/Hayfork Divide/ Hyampom area.
I look forward to seeing you next weekend...
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

I love it when a plan comes together....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Very nice Brian,

I'm still in at this point but may end up in the middle of a move. A little up in the air.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

I'll keep you on the in list until I hear different.... I still gotta come down for High Lakes!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #26
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,778
Thanks Brian...

Yep, High Lakes has to be done this year. I'm trying to get a co worker to come up and ride that also, I let you know how that developes, he's got to put a bigger tank on the XR650L that he recently picked up.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #27
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Just let me know! Those pics from last year got me stoked to go... OK. After a lot of map searching, GREAT input and routes from fellow inmates this is the loop that PCC XR650L and I will hit on Saturday. The first half hour or so could be the whole group, splitting off at Hayfork Divide, the big bikes can continue through to Hayfork and points beyond on asphalt or tamer fire roads. The B's will hit Hayfork Divide and along this route there is plenty of stuff for the A guys. I will attempt to scout them some but being on the ol' pig I might be turning around, but they will be duly noted. Continue into Hayfork via the Divide, hit Hwy 3 for a few miles then up Barker Rd. to Dog Run Springs (lots more side rides..) and then loop back onto Big Creek. This prerun will help me make some decisions on available routes for everyone, visit the campsite and take some pics and shoot video of some of the loop. I hope to have several routes planned for all class of riders (in my case, no class) for multiple options each day. Look for pics and vids the beginning of next week.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

We are having a couple issues with conflicting dates with other rides. There is a local rider (Weaverville) who would love to do this rally but conflicts with another ride through the area, plus it is the same date as the Dog Pound run out of Redding which many of my friends attend regardless.
I want to shift dates to the next weekend if possible and want some input from the "in" list to see if it will still jive with your schedules. WE still miss hunting season which starts on the 21st so we won't be fighting hunters for space. If it is an issue we will leave it as it stands but we have 2+ months to ride date. Post, PM, or E me if this will not work for you, the ones already on the in list have a huge say...
If we have 10 riders or 50, it will still be an awesome ride and I, along with other input (you know who you are) have put together some of the best trails and routes for the area...
So, if possible, I would like to move the dates to 9/13/13, thru 9/15/13. Let me know if this will work. PCC XR650L and I will pre run a lot of the routes this Saturday and I will post some pics and video of what we can look forward to.

Rock on!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Brian,

You just tell Ketchup (aka 4Critter) to Man-The-F-Up and pick a ride.....Rule #5!!

FYI, I've watched him ride. Even with my blown out ACL last year, I had to stop to take pics of him running off of Big Creek Road....twice.

And if you think I'm going to do MORE pre-running.....well I guess you got me there. OK.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #30
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

LMAO! It's all good. There's some friends I would like to see there too so if it conflicts and I can deal with it, it's awesome. This is new territory for me too but I hope Saturday's ride sheds some light. Except for a few side ventures I think Hayfork Divide will be the extent of the "B" run... I'm gonna PM you for a bit more info.
I am glad I am not doing the scout alone, still packing the trauma kit and some Vicodin just in case. Hopefully all that EMT training stays in my pocket.. You wanna go F-yeah!

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 09:28 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote