ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #46
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
No, thats a whistle.... All the "drugs" are in the pill bottle.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #47
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

SoJ 2013 Prerun

So, PCC XR650L and I did some scouting yesterday. I would love to say that the day went smoothly without a hitch, everything that needed to be done was done and the day was a complete success, but I can't. We learned many things and am very glad we went but it is obvious that other trip before September is definitely in order..
1st, anyone coming up 299 from Redding is gonna have to deal with the road construction above French Gulch, small price to pay.
The CG looked awesome. A great shaded area right on the river that will accommodate any # of us, within reason. See the pics.
Next, Although the Garmin Nuvi I have is supposedly compatible with Basecamp and the 24K maps I have it is limited in it's ability to show everything and search routes. Gotta buck up and get a new GPS. Any suggestions will be welcome.
Big Creek, to my amazement, is paved for all but about 5 miles in the middle. It is nice, fun little twisties but not dirt... also the route we took to Hayfork Bally was paved a lot of the way too. Don't be discouraged, there are a lot of trails up there to explore and if anyone has the huevos to take the hogsback we saw that heads toward Hayfork from the Bally I wanna be there to film it. On a little light bike I MIGHT attempt it.... Here is where the GPS went haywire. It would not show me the trail off of Hayfork Bally I had programmed into Basecamp and we ended up backtracking to Big Creek to Hayfork. It was fun anyway, we stopped and topped off with fuel and headed toward Barker Valley. Here is where it gets interesting.... A couple miles down Barker Valley road I pulled because I knew that there were a lot of options on that road and most of them were dead ends so I wanted to enter some coordinates into my "fine" GPS and see if it would lead us through. I found a shady spot and pulled over. WTF? My right leg, tank, exhaust, case, all covered in oil.... Yep, filler cap backed out and off, somewhere. Pete pulled up, saw my oil soaked pant leg, my disgruntled expression and turned around to look for the cap, he didn't find it. So we played Sherlock and followed the occasional spot of oil on the road hoping it would lead to our treasure.... nope. Pete had the only viable idea at the time so I sat down on the side of the road like Jed Clampett and started whittling one out of a scrub oak branch. At the very least it would get us back to Hayfork... While I was playing sculptor Pete went back for one more search, starting at the highway where we turned off on the dirt road. Last ditch effort. I had just about finished my "cork" when I heard Pete coming back, I sure hope he found it... Well, next poker game I want Pete to play. It was a valiant effort to elude the fact but poker faced he is not... Although it had been run over and the thumb screw was broken off, the threads were fine, sopped up what oil I could and we proceeded to try to find our way through Barker Valley, Dead end after dead end, it was getting late so we decided we would just take the twisties of Hwy 3 back to town and call it a day.
Hey! Lets get another good road in AND miss the road construction. I thought. So I turned off 299, headed through Lewiston and we hit Deadwood to French Gulch. I always liked that road. I saw my second Red Fox in as many weeks... Cool. So, back in the valley, it's hot. We did 210 miles today, it was a lot of fun and interesting but more work to do before September. One thing is for sure though, the area is riddled with good stuff !!
If you made it through my ramblings, here are some pics I took. The video I shot was kinda lame, I will decide whether it is worth posting or not...

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 02:50 AM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #48
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
If coming through Red Bluff you could take HWY 36 to 3, which should miss the construction, nice ride as well.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Glad the dates are working for everybody, 1st post and in list updated.... After the fiasco with the automotive GPS I ordered a Garmin Oregon 450 today, I will be making another trip up to Junction City in the next few weeks, possibly an overnighter if anyone is interested !

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 03:48 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #50
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,689
>"If coming through Red Bluff you could take HWY 36 to 3, which should miss the construction, nice ride as well."

Or from Redding, take the Ono road over to Platina.
Or you could go off the Platina Road (A16) to Bully Choop and back over Indian Creek to Hayfork.

Bully Choop is pretty spectacular.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #51
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

That is all my back yard... I'll make sure to pull my trailer full of supplies over Bully Choop to Buckhorn summit, or maybe even Lewiston Turnpike or Deadwood... C'mon, unless you are riding in....
Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Backyard boys

If your coming from Red Bluff, head out "Reeds Creek Road"
That is the road I take if I am headed to the coast.

Or just run up to Castle Crags and go over Rams Horn.

or head east on 44, start early because it may take awhile longer.
Its just shy of 25,000 miles. and you may need some water wings.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
If your coming from Red Bluff, head out "Reeds Creek Road"
That is the road I take if I am headed to the coast.

Or just run up to Castle Crags and go over Rams Horn.

or head east on 44, start early because it may take awhile longer.
Its just shy of 25,000 miles. and you may need some water wings.
Oh yeah, that's the RTW route....
Old 06-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #54
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Hi Everyone,

Well my new Oregon GPS came the other day, the ram mount clip came this morning. When I went out to the mailbox I noticed that my truck had been stolen sometime last night, Geesh! That's another story....
I have gotten a lot better with Basecamp and have 10 good loops and rides put together but I really need some input on what everyone is going to want to ride. I have some asphalt only loops, some good dirt, and some short scenic trips for evenings. Most of the loops look like they will be between 4-6 hours of travel, then add gas stops, breaks and such. Now that I have a mount for the new GPS I can get out and run a few routes..
Old 06-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Brian,
I am going to take a vacation from Safeway 7/14-7/20 and plan on riding almost everyday. I would like to head up that way at least twice that week. Once to check out the area and once to possible hit the coast via hwy 36. I'm still down to do some recon with you if you are planning on heading back that way soon.

Sucks about your truck, hope it comes back in one piece,... or a lot of little pieces if its totally covered and you wanted a new one anyway.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #56
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Never that lucky... Just liability, figures. Will do another trip up there for sure, just need to see what happens with the current situation. If they don't find it in a few days I will look for another truck. Too bad, the inverter in that truck always supplied power for the campsite.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #57
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
I doubt I will bring both bikes, so I will be riding orange which prefers more dirt.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #58
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,735
Laugh Dirt for me...

Technical stuff is good but not neccesarily single track but you never know. I'm game for just about anything as long as I know there's assistance close by if needed.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #59
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Just an update. No pre riding this weekend, still dealing with the vehicle thing. The CHP found my truck but it was thrashed beyond saving so I am looking for another one.
Everyone have a great weekend!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #60
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,735
Bummer about the truck Brian..

...good luck with the search for a new one. Just got back from my OBCDR ride, ride report forth coming.