ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #61
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Bought a Pathfinder, now I am looking for a trailer....
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #62
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Just sold one earlier this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Bought a Pathfinder, now I am looking for a trailer....
...bummer. I'll check around. what exactly are you looking for?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #63
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Just checking

Been away for a bit.
Has anything changed? Brian has not been giving us our daily updates. that date is still looking good, would like to change it from lead to ink!
Don't sweat the trailer thing to much Brian, I could lend you one.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #64
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Saw there was a post but been busy trying to catch up. As of right now I am wishy washy about the rally. Although I had a GREAT time last year, it was a lot of planning, work, and packing and it actually pulled money out of my pocket cuz I wanted to get some type of rally going up in our neck of the woods.
I love to see the return crowd and a couple of new riders that want to come but I am having a hard time justifying the time, energy, and investment to put together organized dinners and such for a handful of guys. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to seeing everyone but as it stands I may want to do away with the fancy schmancy dinners, have everyone bring their own adult beverages and just have everyone just pitch in on the camping. Or we can just say the SoJ rally just doesn't work. Too far north for most riders or maybe I just didn't get the word out right.
I would still love this to happen and I am still prepared to soldier on but I just expected more interest this year.
Gimme some feedback, I have already put together enough routes to keep us busy for a few more SoJs, so a variety of riding is not a concern. I wanted to wait until 8/1 before posting again just to let stragglers get a chance to chime in.
We still have 6 weeks. Plenty of time to get anything and everything done, even the all out dinner fests.
Thanks HopSing, I may take you up on that, a buddy here also has one he will lend me, I just have to get to Pick and Pull and get the hitch I saw on another Pathy up there...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #65
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,006
Quote:
Saw there was a post but been busy trying to catch up. As of right now I am wishy washy about the rally. Although I had a GREAT time last year, it was a lot of planning, work, and packing and it actually pulled money out of my pocket cuz I wanted to get some type of rally going up in our neck of the woods.
I love to see the return crowd and a couple of new riders that want to come but I am having a hard time justifying the time, energy, and investment to put together organized dinners and such for a handful of guys. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to seeing everyone but as it stands I may want to do away with the fancy schmancy dinners, have everyone bring their own adult beverages and just have everyone just pitch in on the camping. Or we can just say the SoJ rally just doesn't work. Too far north for most riders or maybe I just didn't get the word out right.
I would still love this to happen and I am still prepared to soldier on but I just expected more interest this year.
Gimme some feedback, I have already put together enough routes to keep us busy for a few more SoJs, so a variety of riding is not a concern. I wanted to wait until 8/1 before posting again just to let stragglers get a chance to chime in.
We still have 6 weeks. Plenty of time to get anything and everything done, even the all out dinner fests.
Thanks HopSing, I may take you up on that, a buddy here also has one he will lend me, I just have to get to Pick and Pull and get the hitch I saw on another Pathy up there...
Brian,

I know exactly where you're coming from. Depending on the number of people, how about asking for small groups of people to plan/buy/prep dinner each night? That's how I handle my HLDMC rides. Works well most times. Then, everybody pitches in their share of the cost, and if you didn't buy/cook dinner, you helped clean up. Beverages have always been BYOB. We always eat breakfast and lunch out and about since we have people leaving at different times. It's enough work just getting the venue and planning the rides. Ask me how I know....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #66
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

I know you are old hat at this, and that is a very simple, efficient way to handle a small group or get together, but I do like the idea of the nice dinners. If doesn't work it doesn't work.
I will let the masses speak and let the chips fall where they may but dammit I am doing oysters no matter what!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #67
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Im down to bring dinner stuff. Just caught an 18 and 24lb ling cod off the kayak and fed 20 people for 3 days and me and my wife the rest of the week. Had four hookups with salmon today, 2 to the yak but none in the kayak, but I will have some salmon by then. With a small group we can cook everything on the grill, paper plates, no problem. Ill pitch in with whatever. Im also bringin the RV so Ill have fridge and power. If there is enough beer drinkers I could get a small keg from Mad River Brewerey. Just some thoughts. Let me know what you think
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #68
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Right on. There is one vote for making this a little less formal...Heck, sounds like we may eat better than if I was solo chef !!!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #69
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,006
Quote:
Right on. There is one vote for making this a little less formal...Heck, sounds like we may eat better than if I was solo chef !!!
Don't make the mistake I made one year. Since I was driving my van to Trinity, I volunteered to buy all of the food for the group so they wouldn't have to go shopping on the bikes. But the menus and food lists were still generated by the 'cooks'. THAT was a lot of work and time. Never again.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #70
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Don't make the mistake I made one year. Since I was driving my van to Trinity, I volunteered to buy all of the food for the group so they wouldn't have to go shopping on the bikes. But the menus and food lists were still generated by the 'cooks'. THAT was a lot of work and time. Never again.
Fuck that Ron, just throw a bunch of Tri-tips and ribs on a used beat up old truck rack and then pour a shitload of booze down their throats. no complaints
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #71
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
I like the informal route for sure. I am all about oysters and Tri-Tip on paper plates.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #72
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
mmmmmmm..... humboldt bay kumamotos.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #73
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
obsession

For anybody that didn't make it last year, or that doesn't know the SkiBum. He can be a tad bit obsessed. He worried about every detail and was very concerned if everyone had all they wanted. I to Organize a few motorcycle events each year and know the task it can be.
My vote is to show up prepared to take care of myself, Ride, and enjoy the outdoors. Its a vacation and I am lazy. See you then.

Just back from a spin around Oregon, Granola bars and water. one of the top 100 Adventures of mine.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #74
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,732
Thumb +1 on keeping it simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
For anybody that didn't make it last year, or that doesn't know the SkiBum. He can be a tad bit obsessed. He worried about every detail and was very concerned if everyone had all they wanted. I to Organize a few motorcycle events each year and know the task it can be.
My vote is to show up prepared to take care of myself, Ride, and enjoy the outdoors. Its a vacation and I am lazy. See you then.

Just back from a spin around Oregon, Granola bars and water. one of the top 100 Adventures of mine.
\\

Everyone should come prepared and be able to feed themselves. I like simplicity, burgers and/or dogs chips and potatoe salad and beer, I'm good.
KEEP IT SIMPLE BRIAN, anything beyound that BONUS.
I'm still in the air a little, full on into a move and it's kicking my ass. As things get closer I should feel better, also have an ailing bike I haven't been able to give attention to. As of now, I'm still planning on making this ride.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #75
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
\\

Everyone should come prepared and be able to feed themselves. I like simplicity, burgers and/or dogs chips and potatoe salad and beer, I'm good.
KEEP IT SIMPLE BRIAN, anything beyound that BONUS.
I'm still in the air a little, full on into a move and it's kicking my ass. As things get closer I should feel better, also have an ailing bike I haven't been able to give attention to. As of now, I'm still planning on making this ride.
Logistics have changed. No pre pay, site reserved and available but all of the dinners and support I have decided are not viable. The campsite will not be crowded and they assure me that the sites by the river will be available no matter the turnout(within reason). I do plan on bringing mega food but others bring stuff too. Cost now will be nothing but sharing camping (a few dollars) and what you feel you need.
NickKTM and I are going up weekend after next to check out the A rides, if it gets hairy I will wait at the bottom for his "review". Lots of stuff up here for everyone, if it ends up just being a few locals I am good with that too. I will try to post some video of our trip but most our trip will be for the "dirtbike barely plated" guys. Other than that we have some awesome stops, some historic, and challenging for the typical DS rider along with asphalt only and fire roads.
If you have loved ones that want to attend I feel there will be some there for a typical camping trip.