Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
outlaws justice OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
1995 KTM 620 RXC No Lights?

A little help here please.

Have a 1995 KTM 620 RXC. bike has just over 4,000 original miles and runs great. Kick it over a couple times and ride. Gobs of power. but I have no lights. I have checked the blubs and all the bulbs are good. Nothing works, no horn, no signals, no headlight or tail light. What are the common problems with this bike that would cause none of the lights to work?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
A little help here please.

Have a 1995 KTM 620 RXC. bike has just over 4,000 original miles and runs great. Kick it over a couple times and ride. Gobs of power. but I have no lights. I have checked the blubs and all the bulbs are good. Nothing works, no horn, no signals, no headlight or tail light. What are the common problems with this bike that would cause none of the lights to work?
Check the fuses first, failing that, I would check the wiring inside the ignition switch.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
I've got a similar bike ('94 620 EXC) and have gotten pretty intimate with the electrical system.

Your alternator works. It has to for your bike to run. But, our bikes run on a split system. The ignition is AC and the lights are DC. I'd check your regulator/rectifier. Take the RH side cover off and have a look. You should see your R/R and see two wires going from, that to an orange can. That orange can is a capacitor that filters the power signal from the R/R. On top of that is two terminals.

With the bike running, put a multimeter set to read DC voltage, on those two terminals. If you've got nothing there, you've got a bad R/R. If you get around 14VDC there at idle, and nothing when you rev the bike up, you've got a bad capacitor.

If you've got ~14VDC there at idle and when you rev the bike, you've eliminated that as a potential problem.

Start with that and let us know.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
outlaws justice OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Regulator/rectifier is toast (Now that I know it is a split system) but they are discontinued and nothing on e-bay, anyone have any idea where I can get one?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe.

I'm in the same boat as you. My R/R fried and I've been trying to get my lights working again. I bought a universal one online at Baja Designs and it works at idle. But, if I throttle up, the lights go out. Now, I was told by a knowledgeable inmate that this is caused by a bad capacitor. Without a working capacitor, the regulator kicks the voltage off before the lights can illuminate at all. My capacitor is bad Ive tested it with a capacitance meter and its showing 6uF when I need 10,000uF.

However, I called Baja Designs and explained what was going on. When I told them what bike I had, they said that their R/R wont work with my bike and that Ive already fried it.

I've got a capacitor on order, and wont know if it will work or not until it gets here.

I really hope that the capacitor takes care of the problem. I have found the same thing - a direct OEM replacement is just not out there.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
outlaws justice OP
Beastly Adventurer

Keep me posted, and let me know what parts you ordered as well, so I can go that route if it works.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
This guy has a Trail Tech voltage regulator for sale for a 95 RXC-E. Might work with yours.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880335
Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

That trail tech unit is the same as the one I ordered from Baja Designs. Assuming that it worked on the bike he's parting out, mine should work once the capacitor is working.

My capacitor shipped today. I'll let you know if it works out.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
This guy has a Trail Tech voltage regulator for sale for a 95 RXC-E. Might work with yours.

Thanks for that link. He's got a few things I could use!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I used a RR from a 520 EXC(?)... 2 yrs later, it's still working fine. That's a while ago and I can't remember exactly if it wired directly in, it's mounted in the same location with a couple of brackets.
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
outlaws justice OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post

Thanks I sent him a message.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Keep me posted, and let me know what parts you ordered as well, so I can go that route if it works.
It's been awhile. I just haven't had time to mess with it. And, frankly, I had my doubts that a capacitor would make any difference. But, last night I installed the capacitor and fired up the bike. Nice smooth bright light shown from the headlight.

I used a cheap 10,000uf 35V capacitor from Digi-Key.com

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...Words=P6664-ND

The leads seemed a bit weak, so I soldered 16 ga wire to them, then folded the wire back against the can and taped them firmly in place to keep stress off the leads. I've only done a short test ride last night and I rode into work this morning on her. So far, so good.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
loustros
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
It's been awhile. I just haven't had time to mess with it. And, frankly, I had my doubts that a capacitor would make any difference. But, last night I installed the capacitor and fired up the bike. Nice smooth bright light shown from the headlight.

I used a cheap 10,000uf 35V capacitor from Digi-Key.com

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...Words=P6664-ND

The leads seemed a bit weak, so I soldered 16 ga wire to them, then folded the wire back against the can and taped them firmly in place to keep stress off the leads. I've only done a short test ride last night and I rode into work this morning on her. So far, so good.
Hi,
I do have the same bike and as it seems with the same problems you had. So i have few questions for you, if you feel like helping me.
Witch model ,regulator-rectifier of trail-tech do you have? the simple or the one with the adjustable delay?
The dc cables are connected to the capacitor or the battery? ( i am asking because trail-tech's instructions says to connect them to the battery, but the r-r ( ktm's) is connected to the capacitor).
The 5th cable that comes out from the r-r ( trail-tech's)... what are we doing with that?
loustros is offline   Reply With Quote