User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,887
Empty the GS Fuel Tank - the easy way

So I need to remove the fuel tank and as usual, I just filled up the tank. D'oh!

Make this handy fuel drain hose, and let the fuel pump empty the tank for you.

Also works for aerial refueling of another bike.

The fuel system continually recirculates the fuel. The fuel pump sends high pressure fuel to the regulator. And the regulator returns low pressure fuel to the tank. This method of empthing the tank simply intercepts the returning fuel. So instead of the fuel dumping back into the tank, it dumps into the gas can. The fuel system does not even know this is happening.

Start the engine and let the fuel pump drain the tank. Flow rate is slow, and low pressure. You can see in the picture above that the hose is staying in the gas can unattended. Smooth easy flow. A little stronger, but about what you'd expect from a good siphon.

Watch the fuel coming out of the end of the hose. Right after the fuel pump intake impeller begins to whine, the fuel flow will sputter. And you can shut off the engine. This is not an issue for the fuel pump.

At this point the tank has about 1 gallon remaining. If you have an Adventure tank with a crossover OR an S4 siphon crossover maybe about 1/4 gallon. johnjen's S4 siphon crossover can be found here.

If your tank does not have a crossover, and you want to get most of the remaining fuel out, there is a way. Lean the bike over on its right side, for the best result, touch the cylinder to the ground. The remaining fuel will pour over the tank's 'internal saddle' and into the right side lobe. The pouring fuel is clearly audible.

Reset the bike on the center stand, put the drain hose back into the gas can, and start the bike. About another gallon will pump out.

Or, just take the tank off with one gallon of gas in it. Only 6 pounds. That sure beats 36!

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 06-29-2005 at 12:49 AM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:15 AM   #2
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,022
Excellent ! Hope I just hpe I never have to do it.
kdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:04 AM   #3
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,315
Thanks, Jim.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Very cool idea Thanks for sharing.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 351
Laugh

Quote:
Excellent ! Hope I just hpe I never have to do it.
Unfortunately you will when you have to change the fuel filter. Unless of course you clog your filter on a near empty tank ... could happen.

I did the same thing last year so I could be a gas station for my friend's small tanked bike. Works well!
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
simonm
Stealth Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Another post of the highest quality - thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

If your tank does not have a crossover, and you want to get most of the remaining fuel out, there is a way. Lean the bike over on its right side, for the best result, touch the cylinder to the ground. The remaining fuel will pour over the tank's 'internal saddle' and into the right side lobe. The pouring fuel is clearly audible.
Jim - totally awesome - thanks! Dang good photos too. What do you use to add the text?

It may be obvious, but the technique of leaning the bike to the right to get that extra fuel out can also be very useful when you appear to run out of gas while riding.

DAMHIK.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
nmrider
Close Personal Friend of

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for posting that!

I was siphoning a tank of bad gas out of my GS last week, but couldn't get the last two gallons out of the tank.

Good Job.

04 R1150GS Adv
nmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159
Jim,

Super job!

Do you need to run the engine to get fuel to flow? I always thought that the fuel pump pressurizes up just by turning the key. When there's gas flowing and an open container of it in the work area, you'd usually want to really pay attention and minimize the things that can go wrong. Having the engine running just seems like an invitation for something uncontrolled to happen. like a marmot comes over and pulls down the shift lever or something. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

But what I REALLY want to know is how you drew those nifty curved arrows over the pix.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Thanks fellas. But I'd be nothing without Photoshop.

Tony, the fuel pump must be on to do this. Either the engine must be running, or you can make a power jumper to the fuel pump connector, and operate the pump on battery power with the engine off.

I think I found out about the tilting the bike after running out of gas the same way you did Bob.

When the fuel pickup start to whine during braking, gas it hard from a 5mph roll, and try to lean the bike a little to the right. That gets most of the remaining fuel to slosh over to the right side. But then you'll have to take off easy or the fuel will slosh back. If doing this regularly, the typical fuel fill is right at, or a little more than, 6 gallons.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 06-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #11
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,899
That's just freakin' brilliant.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like A Virgin
How is this simpler than a $1.50 6 foot plastic tube and shiponing fuel from your tank to a can or someones fuel tank?
I'll bet an ice-cold beer you have never successfully performed that particular technique on a GS and ended up with a fully drained tank.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #13
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Thanks for the tip!

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:39 PM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,118
What works almost as well and is much simpler is to attach th drain hose to the return line on the tank and use gravity. When it stops flowing move the tank into different positions. This will leave about half a gallon which will mostly keep to itself and not bother you while changing the filter.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #15
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
What works almost as well and is much simpler is to attach th drain hose to the return line on the tank and use gravity. When it stops flowing move the tank into different positions. This will leave about half a gallon which will mostly keep to itself and not bother you while changing the filter.
I don't know FB. The height of the fuel return port inside the tank is above the one gallon level on the right lobe of the tank. So that leaves about two gallons, if you count the left lobe of the tank.

Or, since you are talking about moving the tank around to different positions, are you meaning to do this after the tank is removed?

- Jim