Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
NoiZboy OP
New Member 12/12

Oddometer: 50
Pressurizing Hydraulic Clutch Lines

Hey, all. Just a quick question.

I've now flushed two hydraulic clutches, one on a 2004 GSA and one on a 2005 K1200s, and while I eventually get things working, I clearly haven't mastered a reliable way to do it.

Reading maintenance manuals/watching videos it all seems pretty simple, and I follow the procedures given. However, once the system is filled, I seem to have one hell of a time getting the line pressurized to the point that the clutch is once again disengaging.

As a result, I end up flushing ridiculous amounts of fluid through the system and/or pumping the clutch lever way more times than seems reasonable just to get things working again. I am clearly spending more time than I should doing what ought to be a very simple job.

So far I have tried both gravity/flowing fluid down and syringe/pushing fluid up methods. What do other folks do that works, and how long does the job usually take you?

Thanks, as always, for any insights!
NoiZboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
Don't allow air to get in the line. Suck out the old fluid in the reservoir and fill with new. Pump it through being careful to refill before it runs out and sucks air in.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
NoiZboy OP
New Member 12/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Don't allow air to get in the line. Suck out the old fluid in the reservoir and fill with new. Pump it through being careful to refill before it runs out and sucks air in.
I know to avoid air, but I have not yet used a vacuum pump ... basically because I haven't needed to for brakes so don't have one. But when you say "pump" I assume that's what you mean. Correct? Maybe creating a vacuum is more necessary with a clutch slave's chamber ... that definitely occurred to me when I was futzing with the GSA's clutch fluid.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
I was referring to the lever, not a pump. In fact when it comes to the clutch, I usually just gravity bleed it, no need to pump the lever. Just loosen the bleeder with the cap off the reservoir and it will bleed itself.
Are you using a tight fitting drain hose on the bleed nipple? That helps prevent air entering at the nipple.

bemiiten screwed with this post 12-07-2014 at 06:45 AM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
NoiZboy OP
New Member 12/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I was referring to the lever, not a pump. In fact when it comes to the clutch, I usually just gravity bleed it, no need to pump the lever. Just loosen the bleeder with the cap off the reservoir and it will bleed itself.
Are you using a tight fitting drain hose on the bleed nipple? That helps prevent air entering at the nipple.
Yep, The hose is very snug, so no air. I also use the gravity method, but then ended up pumping and bleeding and pumping and bleeding for much longer than it seemed should have been necessary. That's why I tried the "push the fluid up" method this time, but that didn't seem to improve things.

Thanks, again.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 308
There are times you do have air in the system, new lines, new slave cylinder that sort of thing. I always fill from the bottom then. The newer bikes use mineral oil and can go a very long time (years) with no attention. The old ones using brake fluid need help every couple of years just to stave off corrosion. I use a:
http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-System...nix+bleed+tool

The next trick when things get impossible to get a firm working lever is to tie the lever back to the grip, bars angled to the right and let the bike sit over night. Then in the morning with the lid off the reservoir, gently tap the side of the reservoir while pumping the lever. Very tiny bubbles will rise to the surface while doing this. Worst case for me took two nights of this on a K bike with a new slave cylinder.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Or move the handlebar all the way to the right, allowing the pump to stay up in the air. Put a coin over the small hols in the reservoir. Pull the lever once every 5 seconds. Voila :)

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,590
If you have a shop vac or you wife has a vacuum cleaner with a hose, you can make a very effective vacuum pump and evacuate your brake and clutch fluids. A rear brake flush and fill takes 5 minutes, the fronts a few minutes more.

The clutch takes 5 minutes.

Much of the time is spent preparing, removing reservoir covers, removing the tank for access to the ABS bleeder fittings.

An empty milk jug, some clear tubing and the vacuum do the work quickly and without spilling.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,704
I use a syringe and fill from the bottom up. Never an issue.

Same when doing new Spiegler brake lines