User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Chugiak OP
Lechien

Oddometer: 4
Synthetic Oil @7,100 Miles

Just picked up a new to me 2012 R1200GSA with now about 7,100 miles and I changed oil in both bikes, for the winter season, but then was thinking because I only have 7,100 miles maybe I should not be using synthetic oil (castrol) yet in this bike. Should I drain it and what should I use and for how long?

Being a new guy to this bike and site, please direct me to the right spot and I apologize up front as I know how cotriaverial 'oil' can be.

Lechien
2009 G650GS, 2012 R1200GSA

Lechien
Chugiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
schwie
Wanna B Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Welcome Chugiak to the forum

Synthetic is my choice for my new camhead and debate that synthetic is now what oil type ships out of the German factory. Nevertheless, you can't go wrong introducing a new oil thread.
schwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,583
Use synthetic...it is better oil.

I used synthetic from about 900 miles....My boxer is quiet, starts well during the winter and uses no oil. I change annually regardless of mileage, usually about 9000-10000.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Chugiak OP
Lechien

Oddometer: 4
So what about final drive or transmission

So I'm okay with the synthetic oil in the engine, what about the transmission and the final drive. I was going to replace both just to be sure.

Thanks,

Lechien
Chugiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Change the oil in both. You will now know when the oil was last changed. Use the grade and weight of oil recommended. Dino or syn, you can't go wrong.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
sonnyb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyGeezer View Post
Change the oil in both. You will now know when the oil was last changed. Use the grade and weight of oil recommended. Dino or syn, you can't go wrong.
do it,it doesn't take much
sonnyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 987
If you use the specified (not same word as recommended) SAF-XO fluid in final drive it will by definition be synthetic.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

I use Super Tech brand 75W-140 synthetic GL-5 (that's Wal-Mart's house brand) in both gearcases to which I add some moly additive from the Guard Dog folks. My 2001 GS has no transmission or FD issues.

I have used this gear lube cocktail since the bike was new (800 miles actually). My shifting immediately improved and the transmission temperature lowered.

I drain and renew the gearcase oils every two years. They come out looking and smelling just like they went in. My mag drain plug is always clean.

I sometimes flood the gearcases with ATF just to be sure any sediment is flushed away before adding the fresh GL-5.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Just slightly off topic but, I thought you would like to know;

My wife wants a new mattress, a double pillow top. So, we gave away the old mattress and box springs to a friend. While moving the mattress out the door, I inadvertently grabbed the US Department of Mattresses, Pillows and Nuclear Reactor tag and it tore off in my hands...you know the tag I mean...the one that is illegal to remove under penalty of imprisonment and fine if you get caught.

Now a bit if a back story is in order here....years ago, we were travelling in Oregon and stopped at a rest area with access to the Rogue River. We got out and the kids immediately dove in and began swimming. My wife wanted to fish so I hauled out a pocket fisherman and a lure. She began fishing sitting in a lawn chair. The sheriff rolled up and said "Howdy, could I see your angler's license?" Well, there was no anglers license and my wife was issued a citation for angling without a license. She was petrified. We piled the kids back into the car and left in haste, the wife thinking she was destined for a term in the Oregon state penitentiary. As we merged back onto the I-5, I threw the citation out the window...we didn't live in Oregon and so there would be no repercussions. She almost fainted.

Fast forward to today, I saw that same fear in my wife's eyes when I showed her the tag laying on the floor. I said, "Obama's hit squad led by Holder will be here any minute...better pack me up a bag and run...I'll take the GS...you take the motorhome. I'll meet you in Texas. Don't tell anyone. If Texas doesn't work, maybe Jetspeed will take us in".

Merry Christmas to all. My next post may be from jail, under a bridge or Area 51.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
I was born the son of a lawless man.
Always spoke my mind with a jug of oil in my hand.

Go for it dood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMksTi7u3A

GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
def - sometimes it's a very small world...

You know that sheriff you were talking about - in Curry county - my father and him went to school together. Life long buds. No kidding... Hollywood offered to make a movie about him... no kidding either... I could tell you some stories...

I like Scotch - the older the better...

Merry Christmas to all....
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
def - sometimes it's a very small world...

You know that sheriff you were talking about - in Curry county - my father and him went to school together. Life long buds. No kidding... Hollywood offered to make a movie about him... no kidding either... I could tell you some stories...

I like Scotch - the older the better...

Merry Christmas to all....
Wow...the sherrif was tall, light complected with sandy hair...very polite.

Small world indeed.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

That might have been the deputy sheriff... The sheriff used to be Boice - Allan Boice (I sincerely hope I got that right - it has been quite awhile back - sorry). Big guy - short black hair. Played hell with the hippies... Not kidding there either...

They owned Jerry's Rogue River boats - and the restaurant and cabins further up the rogue river... family business. Good group of people.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
def
Ginger th wonder dog

....the world is still small.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

I think 7k or 9k is when I went to synthetic. I've had other mechanics tell me to wait to 15k or so just to ensure the Rings are seated.

Oil...

Many people here are dedicated to Mobil1.

Personally I've tried Royal Purple this last time, and I think I'll go back to RedLine (the former is just too expensive - and I personally prefer an ester based oil). Motul makes a 10-50 weight ester based oil - but at $25 a quart - that's way too much - ridiculous in my book.

Amsoil - not bad at all either...

Sent from my Samsung Note 3

WindSailor screwed with this post 12-14-2014 at 08:42 AM