User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Corroded OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just test rode 2004 R1150GS for sale

Hey folks, pretty new here. I just test rode a 2004 R1150GS, 65k on the clock, plastic cases, head protectors, rear givi case.

It was in pretty ok shape, no real damage from crashes, there were a few things though...

Play in the FD, seemed to be down to pivot bearings worn, no major leaks though, a little weeping on the boot right on the FD, so perhaps the inner shaft seal to the FD is leaking a little. In first gear I could rotate the wheel back and forth about 1 inch, maybe a little more, is this normal? (I know there is backlash in the shaft/tranny/FD etc).

Finally the clutch seemed to bite at the last 25-30% of the lever action, I'm guessing as it has wear, it also seemed to suffer from rattle, when idling there was a slight rattle that went away with the clutch pulled in (from the clutch area), if this was a car I'd put it down to the clutch release bearing having play in it, but I don't think that is the cause in this case? Can anyone comment on this? I'm really wary of buying a bike with a chewed up tranny spline output shaft...did they fix this in 2004?

There were a few other things, the switchgear was a bit faded from being outside, old slightly cracked fork tube seals, pretty normal age related things.

If I could be certain that the tranny output shaft isn't messed up I'd consider making an offer for the bike, although lower than he's asking as it does need some work, I'm an engineer so I can do it, but it will take time and some $$$

Thanks!

Chris

EDIT, I think the noise seemed to be like this in this video an RT with a bad transmission input bearing..

http://youtu.be/S9nZtosj5bw

Corroded screwed with this post 09-14-2014 at 03:53 PM Reason: add link
Corroded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Once you get used to all the rattles they are great bikes.
Servo brakes are a concern to some as well as final drive issues. I carry a big bearing on road rips and will change it out around that mileage when I get there.
The great thing about this machine is the knowledge base that exists here. Anything that it needs has been done by someone and everyone is helpful.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 921
The only way to know for sure is to pull it apart and look.
After owning a 2000 1150gs for 14 years I wouldn't do it again, but that's me. Final drive issues were a pain in the ass, and there was always the worry that it would fail in the middle of nowhere leaving me stranded.
But hey, it's your money... just be prepared to pull it apart and rebuild everything because it may need it.
You are going to have to pull everything apart from the clutch back, so while yer in there you'd might as well replace the clutch, the pilot bearing, the pivots, and the final drive bearing. That with new seals should clean things up.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 921
You may want to do a compressions test before you buy it, just in case.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
AllBlak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Don't focus entirely on the negative...

They are popular for a reason....
I suppose that you have to evaluate the cost of repair against what the price is.

FYI I know a guy stripping down an 1100gs in the Bay Area.
Many parts are interchangeable, but not some key ones.
The good thing is that they are simple. You can do most things yourself.
A friend has an '04 GS w/ 90j+.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Corroded OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Work

Thanks for the replies, don't get me wrong I don't mind doing work on this bike, I expected to have to wrench on a bike this old anyway I just want to be careful about what I take on. Don't want to spend the next 3 months with a huge project and get to have no fun actually riding it.

The pivot bearings and regular stuff like fluid changes and some seals is a piece of cake, I'd probably also pull the clutch slave and clean/grease it too. I think I have access to a borescope at work so I could also pull the starter motor off and try and get a look at the clutch/spline.
I've had an R1100S before so I've done valve adj, fluids and pivot bearings before.

I don't mind doing the clutch either at some point, if I got another 15k miles out of this before it needed it I'd be happy, I'm more concerned about the rattle which goes away when the clutch lever is pulled. It seems like it could be something more serious?
Also I'm not sure how much life is really in this clutch, does 80k for a clutch sound reasonable?

Thanks again!
Corroded is offline   Reply With Quote