Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #151
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 694
Does anyone else make one that you are aware of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
You and I sound similarly built. I originally got a large. It wasnt bad but was warped fairly bad. They told me to run it for a bit to see if the size works before sending it back for a replacement. I find I only run with the shield in the low position when in slow traffic. Otherwise I move it up to lesson the noise and wind at my helmet. Full up with the larfe I could still see over it which I liked buton a 500 mile day where it downpoored the whole time I wanted just a bit more windscreen. In the end, I exchanged it for a XL. In the full doqn position, it still blocks a bunch of air and recently on a hot day in slow traffic I was wishing for more airflow but in bad weather and cooler weather I really like it. Its not the prettiest but it works well and their customer service is top notch.

Keep in mind that I live in Michigan though. Temps really dont get that high. I also work midnights so riding to and from work usually is only in the 70s at that time. I have rode a few times recently when it was 95 in the day which was quite warm in slow traffic but wasnt bad once moving faster. A smaller screen wouldnt have been bad then but I still wasnt riding with it in the lowest position so a smaller screen only would have been useful when I was in town riding 35 mph or less.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #152
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
Touratech. Sexier, but would like to hear opinions before I splurge.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #153
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
CeeBaileys has released one. I like the looks of it. Simple but has some character vs the barn door CalSci.
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmw_r1200gs2013_ws.html

Aeroflow is looking for testers near them for their windscreens, but they aren't for sale yet. I suspect they will be very soon though.

Wunderlich is availabe as well. Again, I don't mind the look, but the price seems overly inflated to me.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot.../42710000.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar201 View Post
Touratech. Sexier, but would like to hear opinions before I splurge.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
The Touratech one has been available for a while. It looks goofy to me. Maybe it works well, but it looks like somebody cut it out with a straight edge and a razor blade. And it's overly pricey like the Wunderlich.

Regarding the CalSci, I should mention it really needs some little cuts for the handlebars. I prefer to rotate my bars a bit further forward than they came from the dealership and they hit the screen pretty good at full lock. I rotated them back until they didn't hit, but I would get sore between my shoulders in about 15 minutes. I've rotated them forward just enough so I don't get sore anymore, but my mirror stalks still hit. One could rotate the stalks back (towards the rider) to probably fix this, but then the mirrors would be directly above the grips. I prefer them to be slightly forward of the grips so I don't constantly hit the tops of my hands on the bottom of the mirror. As it stands, I'm just living with the mirror stalks coming into contact with the windshield. The bike can still hit full lock with the screen flexing a very small amount so if I were to crash it shouldn't break anything. Normal riding isn't an issue. I've just learned to deal with it for now.

Edit: I was just looking closer at the Wunderlich screen and it looks like it has some additional brackets. This is a good thing because with the larger screens there is a fair amount of movement from the screen. This should stiffen it up a bit. I question how it works in conjunction with the factory adjuster though. The description doesn't mention anything about the brackets but the photos show it clearly.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #154
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
So do you like the CalSci windscreen? what size did you get and how tall are you? I want to order one but am trying to figure out what size I should get. I'm 6'1" but inseem is only 32" so I have a long torso.

Thanks,
TBob
Hey Tbob, my measurements are the same, let us know if you get a screen that works differently (hopefully better) compared to the stock BMW screen.

I can't say I am unhappy with the stock BMW screen but you can always improve over OEM.

My biggest problem at present is that the handlebars are too low and far away. Waiting for the Rox pivoting riser, will take the pain away from the arms and shoulders on long rides.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #155
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
apologies if I missed it, but has anyone heard anything about clearwater kits for the GSW?
Got them on order and they should be shipped as soon as the get the problem described by Iride4U fixed.

And price wise: they are cheaper than the BMW lights...
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #156
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Got them on order and they should be shipped as soon as the get the problem described by Iride4U fixed.

And price wise: they are cheaper than the BMW lights...
I'm considering accessory lights but with my switch issues I'm worried about tapping into connections or circuits and having warranty challenges with the switch, or alternatively, troubleshooting issues. I don't want to add to any diagnosis issues in getting the switchgear in order.

Anyone have any history here with accessory lights and warranty work on components that may be involved in the aftermarket parts?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #157
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
I'm considering accessory lights but with my switch issues I'm worried about tapping into connections or circuits and having warranty challenges with the switch, or alternatively, troubleshooting issues. I don't want to add to any diagnosis issues in getting the switchgear in order.

Anyone have any history here with accessory lights and warranty work on components that may be involved in the aftermarket parts?
Any time you work on a CanBus system you need to create a second electrical system.
This can be done with a fuse block or a PDM60. Tap into a trigger wire such as the accessory socket or tail light or license plate light. Just use this power to power a trigger, do not use it as the main power or you will get CanBus faults. Pull the power from the battery. Do not tap into a switch add a switch if necessary. This sounds a lot harder then it really is.
On my bike I am using a PDM60 from Rowe Electronics these are available from Rocket Moto.
Clearwater Glendas and Darlas do not have an on/off switch they do have a VR pot and the full brightness is controlled by the high beam.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #158
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u View Post
Clearwater Glendas and Darlas do not have an on/off switch they do have a VR pot and the full brightness is controlled by the high beam.
How does Clearwater control brightness with the high beam without being in the switched circuit? I get that power is outside of the Canbus, but they must tap into the switched line someplace?
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #159
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
I got the x-tall. Calsci does have a return policy if the size doesn't fit you and they have sizing info on their web site. I like the calsci but it does flex a bit in strong cross winds.

Quote:
So do you like the CalSci windscreen? what size did you get and how tall are you? I want to order one but am trying to figure out what size I should get. I'm 6'1" but inseem is only 32" so I have a long torso.

Thanks,
TBob
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #160
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 208
I got the Cal Sci XL but it felt like I was on a Goldwing so now I have the Large and I like it.

What I'm really hoping for is what I did on my '10 GS which was to add the tinted BMW R1200GSA windshield which was perfect. I needed to get the GSA different mounts for it but it looked great and blocked the most troublesome wind. I'm hoping the LC GSA will come with a larger screen so I can adapt it to my GS LC.
Desert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #161
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
A few tweeks today

I took off stock BMW GPS mount, put on my zumo 550, SPOT tracker, heated gear leads and air vest lanyard. Was going to put on crash bars but cant find a 55torx anywhere in town.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #162
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Usually the torx bit sets go up to t60. Stop looking for the individual part and buy a set of then and you should be good. Just about every auto part store should have them.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #163
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Usually the torx bit sets go up to t60. Stop looking for the individual part and buy a set of then and you should be good. Just about every auto part store should have them.
have a look at my location, I found a set today but the only ones I did not have was the 55/60 socket, did not want to pay $60 for extra bits. Ill get it locked down in the morning have to head into Nuremberg and hit up the big store
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #164
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 694
I have a CeeBailey on order I'll let you know how it goes.
Yep I'm waiting on the risers as well.
Putting on my old fastway pegs this friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Hey Tbob, my measurements are the same, let us know if you get a screen that works differently (hopefully better) compared to the stock BMW screen.

I can't say I am unhappy with the stock BMW screen but you can always improve over OEM.

My biggest problem at present is that the handlebars are too low and far away. Waiting for the Rox pivoting riser, will take the pain away from the arms and shoulders on long rides.
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #165
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Up early today fighting the house wives in the store this morning. All I can say is crazy German bitches in M3s driving like they are on the Nurbergring in a parking lot will get your attention.

Anyway found the T55 so back to the hizow

No Maintenance book so I just went hog wild to see what was under the hood, being this is my first BMW bike I just had to see.

Got the SW bars installed. As was mentioned in a earlier post it was a two man job to get long bolt that goes thru the frame. I don't know the name since no book maybe someone can help me out. I have to confess I pulled the forward bolt before I realized it was the wrong one Anyone know the foot lbs need to tighten that one up, I swagged it and went to 100 foot lbs.

and I installed the P3 lights. They work with out a hitch Ill try and upload a shot video I took of the layout.

Sorry for the crap iphone vid its all I had on me.

All set for a ride to the Netherlands in the morning I need to get 500mi in for my first service. I'll be a little over when I get back but should not be a big deal!
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot

RuckedUp screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 12:45 PM