Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #2221
Skyliner33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
They look good.
I wonder though if they limit flow.
I also wonder (unrelated to the farkle in question) where does water taken in from the intake go (from heavy rains etc.)
Through the engine I would imagine, same as any other bike.
Skyliner33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #2222
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguy View Post
I don't use the plastic rivet when re-installing the rear radiator shrouds (bottom hole). I just use a black nylon wire tie on each side. Very quick and easy. Cut the tie to remove it. Can't take credit for the idea. Someone else mentioned this early on in one of the threads.
I didn't lose the plastic rivet during re-assembly, but one side failed to hold for long....I just used a small screw from the junk drawer....it's still holding after 7,500 miles.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #2223
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
They look good.
I wonder though if they limit flow.
The mesh is so large I can't imagine it would be measurable. I've taken a few butterflies off mine and felt justified, even though they would have only ended up in the filter box.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #2224
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner33 View Post
Through the engine I would imagine, same as any other bike.
I'm guessing that there is a small drain hole in the air filter box that prevents too much water from saturating the filter...I'll have a look next time I check the filter. After all, there is often a LOT of rain in Germany and they've had 90 years to figure this one out.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #2225
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
The mesh is so large I can't imagine it would be measurable. I've taken a few butterflies off mine and felt justified, even though they would have only ended up in the filter box.
Yep, they are a pretty open mesh. I angled my pic to emphasize the guard.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2226
advlust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWraith View Post
Here is what I ordered for the radar mount:

RAM Mount Steel U-Bolt Motorcycle Mount Base RAM-B-231U

RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U

RAM Mount Universal Magnetic Power Plate III Holder

RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U

The piece in the photo is the RAM-B-231U ...

I ran through my old ram mounts and I have exactly the same mounts as you have, RAM-B231U and B-201U but these only go onto rails of 0.5"-1.25". I tried these on the rail which has the gps prep mount and it's loose. Did you use a rubber sleeve or something to decrease the gap? I looked everywhere on the rammount.com site but no composite adapters are available to work on a smaller rail dia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'14 R1200GS|'13 Griso 8VSE|'13 390 Duke|'12 NudaR |'11 HD 48|'10 HD XR1200X|'10 Vmax|'10 Brutale 1078RR|'10 MM Scrambler|'09 Ducati GT1000|'07 Ducati SC1000B|'06 Suzuki GSX1400|'01 R1|'84 Honda VF1000FE|'83 Yam RD350B Custom|'83 Yam RD350B Cafe
advlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #2227
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Plastic Rivet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I didn't lose the plastic rivet during re-assembly, but one side failed to hold for long....I just used a small screw from the junk drawer....it's still holding after 7,500 miles.
I used an Aircraft locking nut plate and used a stock flanged screw, works great, over 1000 miles, no problems.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #2228
KTMforget
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Cug...
Thanks...that's a little bit better.
Tried the "Side stand enlarger" example and got back 5 links to click on.
This one not only gives you a larger footprint for softer surfaces, but it adds a substantial amount of material on the bottom of the side stand, making it MUCH easier to stand the bike up when full loaded (or not).

We specialize in the best parts for BMW and KTM Adventure bikes. WE TEST WHAT WE SELL!! Not just MADE in the U.S.A., made BETTER!
KTMforget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #2229
kalbo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord99 View Post
Deano747,

How have you mounted up the air horn?

Have you used a bracket or something?

Cheers,

DL99
how do you find the footage with the camera mounted there , is it good or does it suffer vibration shake
kalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #2230
Deano747
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Sorry for my tardiness. I figured that one of the gurus here would post. The horn is a Stebel Nautilus, and they have a kit specifically for the GSW. Also, and the best bit, they have a you-tube how to. Took the guy 20 odd minutes, me a couple of hours, but they show you where to mount the relay, everything....

I have a Drift Ghost S camera, so not the popular GoPro, but a proper camera without the marketing of Red Bull behind it. Not a suggestion of any shuddering or shaking. Go to YouTube, and search deano744 (no spaces) and look for Marysville 2014. Ignore the pixilation, that's YouTube not being to upload stuff in HD, but it will give you an idea of the placement. All the other videos were with a Drift as well, but an older model that I finally killed on the back roads of northern Vietnam.
Deano747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #2231
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Dr. Greg's Sidestand Shim.

Shortly after I got my 2013 GSW in June, I realized that the sidestand was a little short, i.e. the bike leaned over more than I liked.

Since I’m a little guy (5-8, 150) it was a bit difficult for me to push the bike upright when I was straddling it.

The pic below shows the problem: with the stock side stand (suspension set on rider-only, BTW), the bike leans over at 14 degrees. Too much!

I had just installed a TT sidestand foot, and I thought that I should be able to make a SHIM to effectively lengthen the sidestand.

Well, being a recently-retired Mechanical Engineering professor, I did a little trigonometry to calculate the necessary thickness of the shim. If you’re interested, the details are in THIS PDF FILE.

A pic of the sidestand shim (before I painted it black) is below:

And finally, here’s a pic of the bike with the modified sidestand. It now leans over at about 5 degrees, and is MUCH easier for me to push up. If you want more lean, you can make a thinner shim. Best mod I ever did!

—-Doc
Could you not have used calculus to come up based on the rate of angle change of b' to the length of the side stand. As the bike pivots to the side more, it would make a small incremental change to b'.

Either way your geometry worked well with a 2 degree variance. Good math! I enjoyed reading your .pdf
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #2232
BikeWraith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by advlust View Post
I ran through my old ram mounts and I have exactly the same mounts as you have, RAM-B231U and B-201U but these only go onto rails of 0.5"-1.25". I tried these on the rail which has the gps prep mount and it's loose. Did you use a rubber sleeve or something to decrease the gap? I looked everywhere on the rammount.com site but no composite adapters are available to work on a smaller rail dia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It came with an adapter for a .5" rail. See a pic of it here:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

I didn't use anything else and it is very sturdy...
BikeWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2233
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Question for owners.
Has anybody investigated the possibility of replacing the rear GS rack with the metal GSA one?
It was pretty simple in pre-LC GS, can it still be done?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #2234
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Question for owners.
Has anybody investigated the possibility of replacing the rear GS rack with the metal GSA one?
It was pretty simple in pre-LC GS, can it still be done?
yes it is a straight bolt on. Jesse Luggage is also getting ready to release one.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #2235
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Also posted over at the GSW luggage thread...

I needed a place to attach a Rok Strap and I had this open space because my Jesse Luggage doesn't use it... I used a Wolfman Luggage double sided velcro strap and stuck it through. It was a giant pain to get it tight enough. I had to pull and move, pull and move, repeat 15 more times. But it is do-able. I did this to both side. The loop moves up a little to to help attach the Rok Straps, then it tucks back down in like pictured when not in use. Here are some pics. Unfortunately I can't find these straps on Wolfman's website any longer. It looks like they changed the design.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote