ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Pics. You can see the lights mounted, the Touratech engine guards and the el cheapo JC Whitney top box...

Here is the Touratech Montana mount on the factory bar. Can also see the back of the lights mounted...

Here is the home made light brackets. Very simple but they seem to do the trick. I looked under the beak and their isnt much there to mount to so this looked simpler. Besides that, the lower mount would put the lights in line with the air intake funnels. This way doesnt. That has to be worth 10 horsepower. Now the brackets will get powdercoated...

I'd like to get a closer look at how you mounted the GPS to that small OEM bar.

As of now I'm looking to use the ram mount that you have on your handlebar clamp. Do you remember which length bolt (3 supplied) you used for that application?
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
Yeah I forgot about those LED signals. I have them front and rear. No update yet so they still throw the LAMPF code. Dealer thinks they should have the next update in June but its unsure if the retrofit option will be in it.

As for the gps mount, it uses the straps that came with the kit. All Touratech gps mounts are designed to fit a 1/2inch bar which the factory bar happens to be. Convenient.

I dont recall what bolt it was. I can look and let you know.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300

oz97tj screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 05:12 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Yeah I forgot about those LED signals. I have them front and rear. No update yet so they still throw the LAMPF code. Dealer thinks they should have the next update in June but its unsure if the retrofit option will be in it.

As for the gps mount, it uses the straps that came with the kit. All Touratech gps mounts are designed to fit a 1/2inch bar which the factory bar happens to be. Convenient.

I dont recall what bolt it was. I can look and let you know.
Thanks!
I'm not familiar with the Touratech mounts but I now see that they are a near perfect swap-out for the OEM GPS mount.

A GPS wiring questions if you don't mind:

Can the power cord connector points be accessed so that a different GPS harness can be installed in it's place? (I just need a switched hot and wouldn't use the thumb-wheel control wire that I assume it has.)
OEM GPS wiring - OUT
Streetpilot wiring - IN

FWIW I take detailed pictures of every step when I do stuff like this so that I can put it back to stock when/if the time comes.


Don't sweat the bolt size question because it isn't an issue the needs to consume either of our time.

-----------

As to the primary point of this thread:
The only things I'm adding for now are the BMW engine guards and the top box, the mount plate and the back pad for the wife.
I'll certainly be adding Panniers but which one's is yet to be determined.
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 10:03 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
Here is a photo through the windshield of the back of the gps mount. Nothing special.


As for the wiring, here is a photo of the connector. Anything is possible but I dont like cutting into the factory harness any more than needed so I just ran the wire from the Garmin rugged mount (used as part of the Touratech mount) direct back to the battery. Eventually, ill wire it in so its switched hot (when I wire up the lights) but for now I chose direct so its always powered. I doubt the gps would kill the battery overnight anyway but simply removing it from the cradle will ensure I dont have any problems.



Im leaving for a 6 day trip in two days so I didnt want to start splicing wires and then have something go wrong on the trip. Ive found its always better to never do any mods to a bike just prior to a trip if you can avoid it. Less problems that way. The light mounts need powdercoated anyway so when I get back I can take care of thw wiring for both the lights and gps. Ill likely tap into the accessory socket as its the least likely to throw some code due to a current draw.

As for the ram mount, I checked the bolt. Im using the shortest one. It engages about 3/4 of an inch which is similar to the factory bolts. You could probably use the next size up as it appears there is plenty of room before it bottoms out but it just isnt needed.

As for the photos at every step thing, I usually return things to stock too which is why I try to run everything independent of factory systems as much as possible. Isnt much to remember with no harm done to the bike. Honestly, the photos I do tske are to help others or to just show off online.

Eventually I will be adding panniers as well once more become available. I actuallt had some Jesses ordered as thats what I had on my previous GS but after getting the run around (again) I cancelled the order. They arent worth the hassle. I want a set with the exhaust cut out as I like the look better. So far, that leaves Holan. Globescouts also appear very nice except both brands have one importer only. This concerns me a bit if something is needed down the road. Not to mention long lead times if you do order a set. Truthfully, if I could get a set right away I probably would have ordered one of those but the delay has me wondering if it wouldnt be better to wait for some Touratechs as they are supposed to have an exhaust cut out option mid summer. At least then I can count on service down the road. So for the time being ill use the cheapo top box which works surprisingly well and some Twisted Throttle Dryspec bags ive ordered. They will give me sufficient storage for now. The wife is preggo so she isnt riding with me at all this summer so I dont need the passenger seat anyway so it works for now.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300

oz97tj screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 12:14 PM
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Here is a photo through the windshield of the back of the gps mount. Nothing special.


As for the wiring, here is a photo of the connector. Anything is possible but I dont like cutting into the factory harness any more than needed so I just ran the wire from the Garmin rugged mount (used as part of the Touratech mount) direct back to the battery. Eventually, ill wire it in so its switched hot (when I wire up the lights) but for now I chose direct so its always powered. I doubt the gps would kill the battery overnight anyway but simply removing it from the cradle will ensure I dont have any problems.



Im leaving for a 6 day trip in two days so I didnt want to start splicing wires and then have something go wrong on the trip. Ive found its always better to never do any mods to a bike just prior to a trip if you can avoid it. Less problems that way. The light mounts need powdercoated anyway so when I get back I can take care of thw wiring for both the lights and gps. Ill likely tap into the accessory socket as its the least likely to throw some code due to a current draw.

As for the ram mount, I checked the bolt. Im using the shortest one. It engages about 3/4 of an inch which is similar to the factory bolts. You could probably use the next size up as it appears there is plenty of room before it bottoms out but it just isnt needed.

As for the photos at every step thing, I usually return things to stock too which is why I try to run everything independent of factory systems as much as possible. Isnt much to remember with no harm done to the bike. Honestly, the photos I do tske are to help others or to just show off online.

Eventually I will be adding panniers as well once more become available. I actuallt had some Jesses ordered as thats what I had on my previous GS but after getting the run around (again) I cancelled the order. They arent worth the hassle. I want a set with the exhaust cut out as I like the look better. So far, that leaves Holan. Globescouts also appear very nice except both brands have one importer only. This concerns me a bit if something is needed down the road. Not to mention long lead times if you do order a set. Truthfully, if I could get a set right away I probably would have ordered one of those but the delay has me wondering if it wouldnt be better to wait for some Touratechs as they are supposed to have an exhaust cut out option mid summer. At least then I can count on service down the road. So for the time being ill use the cheapo top box which works surprisingly well and some Twisted Throttle Dryspec bags ive ordered. They will give me sufficient storage for now. The wife is preggo so she isnt riding with me at all this summer so I dont need the passenger seat anyway so it works for now.
Thanks for the pics and the info.

For now I'll use the Powerlet plug to GPS harness I have with the GPS mounted on the 1" ball mounted on the pinch bolt.

Eventually I'd like to find that socket (from a dealer or Newark Electronics or ??) so that I can use the Powerlet plug for other stuff.

Enjoy your trip!
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
Im sure the socket could be sourced someplace. A buddy of mine is an electrical engineer for Chrysler. Hes also a big Jeep guy. He likes wiring up everything using factory sockets and such. Everything looks real clean but he spends lots of time finding those sockets when usually its just to supply power.

In this case, the same would apply. You could probably find the socket and wired it up or you could take 10 minutes and splice one wire for switched hot. Combined with a fuse panel for other accesories youll never have to do it again and you could be riding. Im not near anal enough to worry about the factory plug. Haha
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
CaptMorganism
Adventurer
 
CaptMorganism's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Lafayette, La.
Oddometer: 17
Installed Jesse luggage on mine. Still fine tuning the installation but I really like them.
__________________
Light a candle, don't curse the darkness.
CaptMorganism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
CaptMorganism
Adventurer
 
CaptMorganism's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Lafayette, La.
Oddometer: 17
Left side
__________________
Light a candle, don't curse the darkness.
CaptMorganism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fubar201's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 256
Installed -

Touratech Panniers - Installed and work great

BMW Nav IV - I like it. Did need a glare screen which makes it much more useable.

MotoGeist Engine Guards - Prototypes installed. Will be replaced with production units in a few weeks. I really like the functional design.

BMW Tank Bag - Currently have small but exchanging for large. Great design and quality, just too small for me

On Order -

Touratech Top Box/rack - Shipping Tuesday
Wonderlich Handle Bar Bag - In the mail

Waiting to Order -

Black Dog Pegs
Black Dog Skid Plate
ROX or Black Dog Bar Risers

fubar201 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 03:46 PM
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Botch's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Ogden, Utard
Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
* Hepco Becker crash bars. Should I be worried that they arrived in a box marked fragile?
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,937
Can't wait to see what the accessories look like on the bike!
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #27
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,937
bump.
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fubar201's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Can't wait to see what the accessories look like on the bike!
Panniers and tank bag



Big butt panniers



Pannier after get-off. The plastic guards work.



MotoGeist Engine Guards



fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,937
Nice bags, Fubar! They look very roomy. What is their combined capacity?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
fubar201
Gnarly Adventurer
 
fubar201's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
What's your opinion of the Motogeist guards? I'd not heard of them until now.
I like them a lot. I saw them at Overland Expo and prefer the clean, yet sturdy, design. BMW's look weak, TT and HB to beefy for me. These seem just right and are pretty much a perfect color match to the frame. I have also gotten exceptional customer service.
fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014