Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #76
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabtklr View Post
I mounted mine last night too.....
How did you feel about the forward mounting bolts under the passenger seat? Did they seem long enough to you, that is to say did they catch enough threads?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #77
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
What Bolts ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
How did you feel about the forward mounting bolts under the passenger seat? Did they seem long enough to you, that is to say did they catch enough threads?
I think the bolts were just fine, for proper torque a coarse thread bolt has to have the same diameter in nut threads, so the nut for any given bolt has to be the same thickness as the bolt. The bolts that Al sent with the rack were longer than I thought they needed to be, I also used blue Loctite on everything. Why do you think the rack is offset on the left side? I am going to call Al on Monday and ask.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #78
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabtklr View Post
I think the bolts were just fine, for proper torque a coarse thread bolt has to have the same diameter in nut threads, so the nut for any given bolt has to be the same thickness as the bolt. The bolts that Al sent with the rack were longer than I thought they needed to be, I also used blue Loctite on everything. Why do you think the rack is offset on the left side? I am going to call Al on Monday and ask.
Ok, it was length I was asking about. I thought my front ones were marginal in length. Did you have the little top hat shaped spacers at your front under-seat mounting points?

I think the left bag is offset enough so the swingarm and FD don't hit it upon full suspension compression.

Here's how mine looks now.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #79
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 832
Thumb SW-Motech crash guards

I received the guards earlier this week and installed them this morning. It took about 2 hours w/help and I'm reasonably handy. Pics below (w/highway pegs installed) and comments re installation:
First, the good news. They look great and are really beefy. And I won’t need to remove them to check the valves every 12k mi. They’re also round, not oblong like the prior set I had on my 08 and 10 GSs. Makes mounting highway pegs much easier.

Now the caveats. As usual, SW-Motech's installation instructions are pretty sparse. The drawings are detailed and correct but there are a couple issues that could use explaining.
  1. The front upper attachment points on each side bolt to a piece of angled metal that in turn bolts to the bike. They are asymetrical. There is a left and right side piece. The important thing to know is that the bracket bolts to the inside of the mounting point on the bike, not the outside closest to the guard. See pic 3 below
  2. You will need a 19mm socket to break loose the OEM bolt that is replaced by a long (380mm) bolt with spacers on the upper, aft mounting point. And the male star socket that you use to hold the bolt right side and keep it from spinning is large, T55. And that long bolt is really tight! I was wondering if I was going to break my rachet trying to loosen it up. And you really need a second, strong person on the other side holding onto the socket with the T55 star socket.
  3. You will need a long (7-8” extension) on your socket wrench to tighten some of the bolts down.

Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #80
kindofblue

Thumb Rox 40mm riser report

Well I've been using the prototype riser now for about 1500 mi. and couldn't be happier. (I'm their beta tester for the GS LC.)

The 40mm risers really alter one's sitting position on the bike, giving me a much more upright and comfy position. This is going to be a must have farkle for tall riders. I'm stoked about them.

The risers don't bind the cables but just barely on the left side. YMMV if BMW's cable lengths vary a bit.

I would post pics but these are the prototype that's polished aluminum and black bolts. The production version will be brushed chrome with matching bolts.

Chris, Pres. of Rox said the production version should be available July 1.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #81
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 130
[QUOTE=Emoto;21649576]Ok, it was length I was asking about. I thought my front ones were marginal in length. Did you have the little top hat shaped spacers at your front under-seat mounting points?

I think the left bag is offset enough so the swingarm and FD don't hit it upon full suspension compression.

Here's how mine looks now. :

Good capacity, nice width but butt ugly. I accept this is a matter of opinion as I have never liked the heavy look of the Jessie's but they seem to have a pretty strong following.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #82
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Well I've been using the prototype riser now for about 1500 mi. and couldn't be happier. (I'm their beta tester for the GS LC.)

The 40mm risers really alter one's sitting position on the bike, giving me a much more upright and comfy position. This is going to be a must have farkle for tall riders. I'm stoked about them.

The risers don't bind the cables but just barely on the left side. YMMV if BMW's cable lengths vary a bit.

I would post pics but these are the prototype that's polished aluminum and black bolts. The production version will be brushed chrome with matching bolts.

Chris, Pres. of Rox said the production version should be available July 1.
Lack of riser is my biggest problem on the bike right now, can these be preordered?

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue)
2015 R1200 GSW White - On order to replace blown up 13 GSW
2006 Yamaha FZ6S
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #83
kindofblue

Don't know. Consider emailing them. They're a small company and responsive to customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Lack of riser is my biggest problem on the bike right now, can these be preordered?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #84
kindofblue

Thumb

I've got 3k+ mi. on my GS w/the Wolfman bag on. The front straps wrap around the upper tubes of the frame. I've got them short enough that all the paint is protected by the bag's flaps in the front.

On the rear, I took the surplus tail of the strap, wrapped it over itself and then took some double sided velcro tape and secured them w/the soft side out. I was concerned whether they'd rub the paint too but so far they're doing just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Questions:

Are there good mounting points on this bike for the Wolfman tank-bag?

Are the straps soft enough to prevent painted parts abuse?

(I ask because I'm considering the Wolfman expedition lite because the dealer hasn't seen the small GS tank bag I've ordered.)

Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #85
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Thats a good point. I bet thats it. I do have the bike and looked all over it trying to figure out where to mount lights. I don't see any reason why lights wouldn't work mounted on the bottom if the engine guards weren't there.

What is it you're installing that required that much tear down?
BMW headlight Shield and BMW LED light bar. It looks worse then it is much of this is to hide wiring. As I have said many times before if you are doing any electronic work with a Can Bus bike you should use a PDM60 or another brand of fuse block. Here is a shot of the Skene P3s on the rear of the bike.

This is the Twisted Throttle gear shift, I had to do some machining to make this fit. Twisted Throttle is aware of the fitment problems and will be making changes.

BMW Adjustable Foot Pegs, these are much nicer then the stock set you do have to order a different set of springs. Also the rubber center section is on springs and collapses below the teeth when you stand on the pegs.

The current mounting of my Clearwater Darlas, This will change when the mounts are available. They are great in the daytime making you more visible to oncoming drivers. I am still working out the wiring with the LED high beams.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #86
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

[QUOTE=At adventure;21654793]
Quote:
Ok, it was length I was asking about. I thought my front ones were marginal in length. Did you have the little top hat shaped spacers at your front under-seat mounting points?

Here's how mine looks now. :

Good capacity, nice width but butt ugly. I accept this is a matter of opinion as I have never liked the heavy look of the Jessie's but they seem to have a pretty strong following.
Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

I like the rugged nature of the Jesse bags. It would take a pretty severe crash to do much more than scrape or dent them. I like that.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #87
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Voz you can get them from here is Oz -

https://www.motorradgarage.com.au
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #88
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
kindofblue - Thanks for the reply and the answers.
FWIW I've always used clear background material to protect my painted parts.
BUT I do think a well designed part shouldn't need them.

Quote:

Here's how mine looks now.

Can you post a pic from the back so that I can see the pipe side fitment?

I've ordered the vario's but if they're not in when I get the bike I may just move on to something else.
Same goes for the crash bars.
Same goes for the tank-bag.

My dealer is a little disappointed as well because accessories is a big part of their business so without them only 2 of the 3 spokes (Sales and maintenance) are paying the bills.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 08:19 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #89
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Stinez, does this show you what you were looking for?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #90
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
Quote:
Stinez, does this show you what you were looking for?

Perfectly.

PS Those bags make your butt look big.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 09:22 AM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote