Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,080
Airhead values

Seems like prices have been rising.

After the "Burst of the Bubble" in 2008, I noticed more bikes like this for sale:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...orcev4exp=true

I kick myself routinely for not purchasing a '68 /2 in great shape (and local) for $5k in 2010 or so...

I am also noticing more of this recently:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R100R...orcev4exp=true

Obviously there is sometimes a difference between asking and selling prices,but overall the asking are certainly higher now than, say, 3- 5 years ago.

So, what's going on?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Obviously there is sometimes a difference between asking and selling prices,but overall the asking are certainly higher now than, say, 3- 5 years ago.

So, what's going on?
It is just natural price creep. They become more rare every year. I see lots of people fishing for premium prices on much less than premium vintage vehicles of all types. The actual selling prices are rarely known. All you ever see is the asking price and some of those are negotiable and some are not. Most sellers just research current asking prices and some shoot for the moon and some know better.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
driggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Seems like prices have been rising.

I kick myself routinely for not purchasing a '68 /2 in great shape (and local) for $5k in 2010 or so...

So, what's going on?

Yup, price creep...the /5 is slowly becoming the new /2!
driggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
[QUOTE=ozmoses;21517394]Seems like prices have been rising.

After the "Burst of the Bubble" in 2008, I noticed more bikes like this for sale:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...orcev4exp=true

[QUOTE]

From the ad: "THIS BIKE IS STOCK DOWN TO THE TIRES". I don't think the Grand Touring grips were stock. Wonder how many other facts are fudged....
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,973
Prices do go up, unfortunately, they should go up. Inflation. But even with a spare engine I think it's a little over priced.

Still if I wasn't chained to the possessions I already have and was starting over again I think I would consider it. Wonder if he has the tool kit?

Edit;
I was referring to the '77 bike. Should go for less than &5000, I say. The R69S is a different story. They probably are going to reach this mark in another 10 or 20 years. The people that own them are going to keep running these ads till the public accepts it as fact and then it will be that price.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 02:23 PM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
just gonna keep going up, they don't make em anymore! luckily I have enough in my garage to last a while.
what's worse though, is the price for parts!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
just gonna keep going up, they don't make em anymore! luckily I have enough in my garage to last a while.

This is what I was getting at.

The two ebay examples were meant in general not specific; I've noticed more collections(r69s) obviously broken since 2008 while the everyday rider(RS) is suddenly appreciating in value.

What makes these great, at least to me, is that a 30-40 year old bike can still be a daily rider!
But face it, nobody is going to take a $20k, no longer made motorcycle out for a ride-at least I wouldn't; kinda defeats the purpose,IMO.
My problem is, other than occasional Harley-fever, I don't want anything other than an airhead!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,569
I started to tell myself that it was good for me since I own so many airheads. Then I realized I'll never sell them, and end up only buying more. So, damn.

Just found a repainted, non-running, no-title, 1974 R75/6 for $3500 on craigslist. I offered $500. We'll see how many profanities they reply with..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I think that there are a few related reasons why Airhead prices are slowly rising.

1. They don't make them anymore.
2. People are starting to appreciate these old bikes for what they are.
3. They are fairly easy to work on and keep running.
4. Prices for most parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

But, one of the main reasons is that a lot of people are parting out a lot of bikes that could be easily fixed up. Their reason being that they can get more money for the parts than for the whole bike. I have seen many of these bikes being parted out on CL and other places, all because the owner does not want to bother with some minor fix, such as needing a replacement diode board or clutch or whatever. And they know they can get over 2-3 times the money by parting it out instead of selling the whole bike. I have tried to buy some of them, boy do they get snarky when I make a reasonable offer for the whole bike.

Also, IMHO, a lot of people are bastardizing a lot of these bikes. I know, it is their bike and they can do with it what they want, but to take a stock bike such as a nice example of an RS or RT and make it into an S or cafe project is just sacrilegious. In a lot of these instances, those parts that get removed end up in a junk bin, after being put in the back of a shop or up in an attic. And they modify the bike to the point where it could never be put back to stock.

This all results in there being less and less of these fine bikes surviving for future generations.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
john112deere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I'll be curious to watch it over the long run, though.

I'm, uh, comfortably younger than virtually everybody who's ever come up to me a parking lot to talk about my bike. (Hint: my monolever is older than me, but not much.) People my age will mostly kinda look at it and shrug, and occasionally ask my if I'm out of my mind, riding an old bike like that long distances and in crappy weather.

The number of nice bikes is declining, and will continue to do so, but I envision the demand dropping pretty sharply in another couple decades as the current demographic stops riding. I don't have any real sense of how the curves might land relative to one another in, say, 2050...but I wonder.

(I started wondering about this when my friend joined a Model A Ford club in HS, and learned that the average age of club members was north of 70...)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere View Post
I'm, uh, comfortably younger than virtually everybody who's ever come up to me a parking lot to talk about my bike. (Hint: my monolever is older than me, but not much.)
My R75/6 that I rode to work today is 12 years older than me!

At the post office on Thursday, some older guy pulled up behind me as I was pulling the bike out of the spot. I thought he was going to bitch at me about something with that look on his face, then he yelled out, "God DAMN, that brings back some memories! What year is that?!"

Quote:
People my age will mostly kinda look at it and shrug, and occasionally ask my if I'm out of my mind, riding an old bike like that long distances and in crappy weather.
Same thing happens to me. Every day at work.

Quote:
(I started wondering about this when my friend joined a Model A Ford club in HS, and learned that the average age of club members was north of 70...)
I tried to join the MAFCA a few years back but the one local chapter meeting I went to was painful. Some old guy would murmur a cheesy joke, half the people would chuckle, and the other half would ask him to speak up while adjusting their hearing aids. When they found out I don't have deep pockets and am working on a project car, they acted like I was some sort of alien.

Now that I think about it, kinda the same response I get from the BMW crowd at almost every single event.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
ozmoses OP
Ride On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
I think that there are a few related reasons why Airhead prices are slowly rising.

1. They don't make them anymore.
2. People are starting to appreciate these old bikes for what they are.
3. They are fairly easy to work on and keep running.
4. Prices for most parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

But, one of the main reasons is that a lot of people are parting out a lot of bikes that could be easily fixed up. Their reason being that they can get more money for the parts than for the whole bike. I have seen many of these bikes being parted out on CL and other places, all because the owner does not want to bother with some minor fix, such as needing a replacement diode board or clutch or whatever. And they know they can get over 2-3 times the money by parting it out instead of selling the whole bike. I have tried to buy some of them, boy do they get snarky when I make a reasonable offer for the whole bike.

Also, IMHO, a lot of people are bastardizing a lot of these bikes. I know, it is their bike and they can do with it what they want, but to take a stock bike such as a nice example of an RS or RT and make it into an S or cafe project is just sacrilegious. In a lot of these instances, those parts that get removed end up in a junk bin, after being put in the back of a shop or up in an attic. And they modify the bike to the point where it could never be put back to stock.

This all results in there being less and less of these fine bikes surviving for future generations.

All of the above.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 626
All I can speak of is that from the other side of the planet.

Well priced airheads will only last a weekend on our version of Craigslist ( gumtree.com.au ) . I personally have contributed to that being that the last two that I have purchased I was the first to see and buy . I know this doesn't directly contribute to price rising ... but does make other buyers know that they can't tyre kick or low ball because the next guy to comes along is going to pick it up.

I missed out on a few bikes over the past month because I have been away working or I couldn't get up to the city fast enough.

To give a rough idea ... R65's are now going for Aus$4000 , pre mono RS's are $6500 ( RT's around $5000 ) ... and mono R80's & R1000 in the $5000. A complete but non running project 78 R100 in bits went for $2000 last month.

I was lucky to pick up my 92 R100RS for $3500 ... and last week to snag the R90S for $9000 . When you compare the R90S I bought to this I think I did quite well.

http://www.justauto.com.au/justbikes...ack+to+results

I agree with most parts about the age thing ... Yes most guys that are buying are 40 + and trying to chase their dreams when they worn younger men's clothes ... but I also get a alot of comments from the younger set looking for a ride that they can work on themselves and call their own.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:

And from the other side of the planet down and left a bit....

I sold an R65 for about 2K AU/US recently with not a great amount of interest, scored a lowish milage 3 owner R90/6 for about 4.5k and a daily rider R100Rt mono for about 2k.
Auctions tend to get better prices, classified adds where you actually ring up and speak to the owner get good buys.
No one breaks them for parts here as there is not a great deal of interest in them, compared to Triumphs and Nortons.
Probably due to BMW's not being that common here is the 60's and 70's,and Brit bikes ruling the roads. Harley are the largest selling large bike here for the same reason.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
oz_airhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post

Well priced airheads will only last a weekend on our version of Craigslist ( gumtree.com.au ) . I personally have contributed to that being that the last two that I have purchased I was the first to see and buy . I know this doesn't directly contribute to price rising ... but does make other buyers know that they can't tyre kick or low ball because the next guy to comes along is going to pick it up.

I missed out on a few bikes over the past month because I have been away working or I couldn't get up to the city fast enough.

To give a rough idea ... R65's are now going for Aus$4000 , pre mono RS's are $6500 ( RT's around $5000 ) ... and mono R80's & R1000 in the $5000. A complete but non running project 78 R100 in bits went for $2000 last month.

I was lucky to pick up my 92 R100RS for $3500 ... and last week to snag the R90S for $9000 . When you compare the R90S I bought to this I think I did quite well.

http://www.justauto.com.au/justbikes...ack+to+results

I agree with most parts about the age thing ... Yes most guys that are buying are 40 + and trying to chase their dreams when they worn younger men's clothes ... but I also get a alot of comments from the younger set looking for a ride that they can work on themselves and call their own.
Speaking from my observations, R65 prices have increased substantially. I think that it's because they are LAM (Learner Approved Motorcycles).
oz_airhead is offline   Reply With Quote