KTM 640 Adventure Rally Type Skid Plate

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by b737jets, May 29, 2013.

1. b737jets

b737jets Baja Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hello 640 owners

Well since I cant buy one I guess I gotta make one. So with that being said, I have completed my mock up and will make the prototype within the next few weeks, it will be made of aluminum the bottom will be .125 or 1/8 in thick with the sides boxes outers will be .125 thick as well. The lid and inner structure will be .050 for weight purposes. The lids will be held on by dzus fasteners 1/4 turn release and rubber seals to keep out the dust

if anyone would like one made let me know via PM after the prototype is made I will have a good idea of materials and cost for pricing.

When I make the skid plates it will be cash up front as I will being doing these on request

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NOTE THIS SIDE COMPARTMENT WILL BE LOWERED BY .250 OR 1/4 IN AND AFT WALL MOVED FORWARD BY .500 OR 1/2 IN FOR BETTER CLEARANCE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THERE WILL BE TWO RELIEFS CUTS IN THE SKID PLATE TIOP LIP FOR PIPE / SKID PLATE CLEARANCE AS SOON AS I GET MY ENGINE BACK TOGETHER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MIKE
  2. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice.....pm sent....
  3. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
  4. b737jets

b737jets Baja Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that it won't be that much lol that's why I decided to press on and design my own skid plate and fabricate it. That price of 650 bucks + the shipping from Down Under aint cheap lol... I figured that would buy a lot of aluminum lol
  5. gjcarving

gjcarving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this looks pretty cool! I wouldn't mind one for my newly acquired 640. Please keep us updated on progress and price. Cool that you are taking the initiative to do this!:thumb
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Some threads on this in the index I'm sure.

Been discussed and half-assed a few times over the years.

Good luck :beer
  7. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And if he doesnt make it less that $650au plus shipping......then what? What if his quality is better, what if someone had rather do business with him even at a higher price...

Why spam his thread....

B737jets you got my business just for the fact I would like to ride to big bear and pick mine up.....

If you need aluminum and your in Vegas let me know...I can get you dealer cost on metals.

8. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Who is spamming?

I'm just pointing out that the option is already out there.

Best you pull your head in I think.
  9. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is another option out there well holy hell, guess that couldn't have been googled over the last 15 years.... Who would have known.

Telling him "we'll you have to make them cheaper than 650 AU..." Why....why does he have to make it cheaper.... The answer is he doesn't have to...and are you buying one...no...then why do you even care to post so you can add one more point to your odometer...

Well in that case I apologize, I guess there should only be one person per creative idea to make something with a price point. Can you believe there are more than one manufacture of motorcycles how dare them.....and some cost more than others and people buy them.....better send a link to all makers to show them that someone else is doing it and they better make it cheaper.

I guess I better pull my head back in.....

Back on topic....many of us can't wait to see the progress of your plate b737jets and if it doesn't work they way you intended at least you got off your tail and tried where many do not have the initiative to even try new things....from the looks of it you have a clue of what your doing and if it works out I want one.
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK lets look at this!
    ( I had one on order two years ago and this was my invoice :deal)

$650.00 au = $626.00 US Bash plate
    $ 200.00 au = $193.00 US Shipping (10-14 days)
    $ 145.00 au =$140.00 US Insurance

for a Total of $995.00 au = $960.00 US

It is a GREAT Bash plate but INS and Shipping KILL it for us in the states.

A BIG BEAR California USA made Bash plate would be a great Option!!
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    YFF should stop fluffin' yer feathers in B737jets's thread. All this yammering will get it booted into the Vendors Forum.

Trev simply pointed out that this item is already available - he's an Aussie, so stop treating him like some redneck American.

Forum Etiquette: try to take things the right way first - start with the assumption that someone's being helpful.

PS - I've shipped things down under for way less than that, but that was when USPS was still allowed to ship via boat: under 20lbs for ~$45. Went up to almost $90 via air freight. Still that's way less than the $200 quoted here, and I'd probably pass on that much for insurance.
  12. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang, I wish I had mad skills like this....
  13. KTMatt

KTMatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I wasn't going to stick my head in hear but things seem to be getting a bit heated. Im all for guys having a go and building there one gear and that's how I started out , I made a bash plate for my 640 posted on hear and other people wanted one so I made it and have been sending them all over the world. I know the my bash plates aren't cheep and the shippings a kill for sale but that's life. As Baja Dad's Quote its a little off .
    This is the PM I sent to Baja Dad.
    -There $610.00 and shipping with tracking & insurance is $220.00 and with out tracking $192.00
    -Paypal is the go but there charge $30 for the transaction.

So not quite as bad as quoted but he my have been going from memory and my of had to pay taxes at his end how knows.

As for b737jets have a crack at it learn from you mistakes and good luck.

Cheers Matt
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Matt I was going by Memory and at my age that is going too!!
    You have a GREAT bash plate I was NOT knocking it at all.
    I wish you were local I would have you build me a new Bash plate for one of my Husabergs .
  15. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :1drink I'm in the same boat too expensive for me to buy overseas for this poor uneducated redneck American

Can't wait to see the Big Bear skid plate

16. Beta450

Beta450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the bash plate coming along?
  17. b737jets

b737jets Baja Explorer

Oddometer:
    Wow.... I guess I missed some action on this thread lol.... Well here is the update made first aluminum prototype from just .030 aluminum and verified correct radius and mounting hole locations and fabricated templates to cut boxes and box covers will be purchasing aluminum and taking it to work for intial construction on final model.

I simply posted this thread as hey I was just making one and thought that maybe a few folks might be interested in one or how I went about making it... I have really don't have intention of getting rich or going into business making these. if my intial skid plate is up to snuff I will make few. I work on the skid plate at work during my down time when I'm not working on planes or its slow. The other thing is its a slow process cause im trying get it right the first time and keeping my cost down. In addition the bike is at big bear and I work at LAX so I go to work for 3 days and then come home for fit and adjustment then if I make an adjustment or change I wait til I get back to work so I can be a little more perscise with the sheet metal tooling I have there

I have no problem with anyone saying whatever they want. I think the KTMMatt has a great !!! product, unfortunately it's just out of my price point and making this skid plate gives something to do at work and kill time :)

I think by the middle of July it will be completed

Thanks for the interest
  18. b737jets

b737jets Baja Explorer

Oddometer:
    Skid plate update.... It's been a while but basically it's ready for welding and and final mock up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. I wish i had the tools and skill to even try this.
  20. DaddyBigDaddy

DaddyBigDaddy AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer:
    Liberal ShitHole, San Fran-sissyco, Kalee-Fornee-a
    Count me in for one!

DaddyBigDaddy. In CA