Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
How is the bash plate coming along?
Beta450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
b737jets OP
Baja Explorer

Oddometer: 153
Wow.... I guess I missed some action on this thread lol.... Well here is the update made first aluminum prototype from just .030 aluminum and verified correct radius and mounting hole locations and fabricated templates to cut boxes and box covers will be purchasing aluminum and taking it to work for intial construction on final model.

I simply posted this thread as hey I was just making one and thought that maybe a few folks might be interested in one or how I went about making it... I have really don't have intention of getting rich or going into business making these. if my intial skid plate is up to snuff I will make few. I work on the skid plate at work during my down time when I'm not working on planes or its slow. The other thing is its a slow process cause im trying get it right the first time and keeping my cost down. In addition the bike is at big bear and I work at LAX so I go to work for 3 days and then come home for fit and adjustment then if I make an adjustment or change I wait til I get back to work so I can be a little more perscise with the sheet metal tooling I have there

I have no problem with anyone saying whatever they want. I think the KTMMatt has a great !!! product, unfortunately it's just out of my price point and making this skid plate gives something to do at work and kill time :)

I think by the middle of July it will be completed

Thanks for the interest
2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro ( SOLD )

b737jets screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:15 AM
b737jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
b737jets OP
Baja Explorer

Skid plate update.... It's been a while but basically it's ready for welding and and final mock up

Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,943
Nice. I wish i had the tools and skill to even try this.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #20
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 291
I'm in!

Count me in for one!

DaddyBigDaddy. In CA
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
b737jets OP
Baja Explorer

No problem big daddy... I should have mine finished and done in a couple of weeks I will post the final product pics and fitment and create a vendor post for the skid plates with all the details and the pricing.

You and JoRazr are the first on the list
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
b737jets OP
Baja Explorer

Well all is that is left to weld it and make a few minor adjustments and radius a few corners after I weld it I will file the top of the boxes level and and install the dzus fasteners

Old 08-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
jrozar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Looking Great! In line :)
jrozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
A thought occurred to me while looking at your prototype: they look sharp on the edges, meaning that they are more apt to catch on things in a slide than those designed for the 660R bikes:

Maybe a bit of rounding would help improve their ability to survive a low-side slide.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
b737jets OP
Baja Explorer

Yeap i agree with rounded edges but I'm not a sheet metal guru maybe down the road.. But honestly I think even if you rounded the edges it won't make a difference it still gonna smash the hell out of the side boxes it will just be added labor to fab it. I may weld a curved doubler on the leading edge to help a bit but don't want to make it so ridged that it transmit its full energy to the engine side case and breaks it cause the side boxes won't give. The optimum would be a composite type plate like the 660 with the boxes. It was a side project to see if I could do it and learned a few tricks from the structure guys at work since I'm an avionics and engine guy

So the moral to the story is don't crash lol
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b737jets View Post
Yeap i agree with rounded edges but I'm not a sheet metal guru maybe down the road.. But honestly I think even if you rounded the edges it won't make a difference it still gonna smash the hell out of the side boxes it will just be added labor to fab it. I may weld a curved doubler on the leading edge to help a bit but don't want to make it so ridged that it transmit its full energy to the engine side case and breaks it cause the side boxes won't give. The optimum would be a composite type plate like the 660 with the boxes. It was a side project to see if I could do it and learned a few tricks from the structure guys at work since I'm an avionics and engine guy

Sounds like you're thinkin'bout the issues I know of:

- a rounded edge is more likely to slide than catch, but a bugger to design/manufacturer.

- over-engineered parts can cause issues. Cars may crumple like tin cans now, but that is by design to protect the occupants. And you have a competing goal of trying to protect the tank/petcock; sufficient structural integrity but not too much... a balancing act!

ps - my bro's a mechanical engineer at Boeing

Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #27
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,435
That's why the Rallye guys are making them outa CF. allows for complex curves relatively easily whereas alu is a PITA.
Have a look at the KTM 640 Rallye bashies. Rock solid and weighed a tonne but did the job
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611461
Email. Turtleshell5@icloud.com
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
9Toes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Spot On

Quote:
Originally Posted by b737jets View Post

b737,

Yes, made up a near exact template as yourself, aluminium as yours with mate who can weld. Ran in Tuareg Rallye, wiped out several times and box sections saved the bike, remained intact but twisted. Tool kit and water held throughout race.

Good design and cost effective.

KTM 640 Adv & GS 1200
9Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
That's why the Rallye guys are making them outa CF. allows for complex curves relatively easily whereas alu is a PITA.
Have a look at the KTM 640 Rallye bashies. Rock solid and weighed a tonne but did the job
I remember finding a price on the 2-part 660R skidplate (two layers) - close to two grand as I recall...

Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I remember finding a price on the 2-part 660R skidplate (two layers) - close to two grand as I recall...
$2k yikes...

I thought 650+ to 899 was expensive and that doesn't cover getting it shipped to your door

http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....4-009-100.html
http://www.dualsportplus.ca/KTM/guar...kid_plate.html

B737,

I think your doing a great job.. I've been using what I see here as a learning experience.. I need a skidplate, but unfortunately pretty much every thing available wont fit my bike.. I have a 620 EGS adventure, and I have the low pipes where the exhaust runs down the LHS.. The OEM offers some protection, but not as I'd like (and it was a bitch to find one)... So I have to make my own.. So, I'm using these posts as a bit of a guide....

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote