Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Hope View Post
He can't say; he doesn't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
He didn't respond.

You couldn't have hauled him in at that point? Did he get to drive away? Due to his age? That's complete nonsense, 12 year olds get arrested all the time...this guy should be sitting in jail awaiting trial.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 170
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger_5 View Post

Regarding the driving and the elderly - its a tough situation. When my mother was 90 we decided that it was time for her to hand over the keys and her license. She didn't agree. Long story short the DMV was of no help, so I wrote a letter on offical looking DMV letterhead instructing her to turn in her drivers license and included a stamped and addressed envelope she could return the license in. Fortunately she didn't realize the address was mine. I got the license and she gave her car to one of the grandkids. Thank God.
If I run into any family members of the elderly that are having the same problem, I will recommend that to them. Thanks.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
2pofomo
I see dumb deer

Oddometer: 42
Payoff for Situational Awareness - Great Job !

First, thank goodness you came out of that one alive! Excellent write-up. Just think how differently this would have turned out if a mere fraction of your attention had been diverted with fumbling around with an i-pod, cell phone, GPS, or other such nonsense while operating a bike. Great Job!
- 2po

"There are two ways to learn: Reading, and talking to people who know more than you do."
-Mark Twain

"A Superior Pilot uses his Superior Judgement so that he doesnt have to demonstrate his Superior Skills". (from: "Wager with the Wind").
2pofomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Hate that this involved someone who was probably a WWII vet but let's face it part of life is knowing when to quit while you're ahead. And of course fleeing the scene is inexcusable.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
If he did think he merely hit a guardrail, what was his excuse for fleeing at over 100 mph!!?

My late father, would have hauled out that "fellow vet" and given him some flashbacks to the war, alright.

At first I couldn't really even see any damage on the Ural.

Great that you weren't injured, mate!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 638
Wow! A guard rail with wheels!
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Keep us posted on your next bike purchase with the insurance check
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
UnAmerican

It would be un-American to pull a drivers license at an arbitrary age. Mandatory annual retesting would pass muster.
Teenagers are more dangerous than the elderly on the road.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
It would be un-American to pull a drivers license at an arbitrary age. Mandatory annual retesting would pass muster.
Teenagers are more dangerous than the elderly on the road.
That's quite debatable...
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER View Post
Another officer and long time riding buddy of mine who was first on the scene walked up to me and said he had determined the cause of the accident.

He pointed at the license plate that I put on that very day, and then pointed at the old dude's hat which was a WWII hat. Then he said, "He hates Naaaahzis, saw the bike and had a flashback!" I thought that was pretty funny since the plate is a play on words since most people that see the bike ask if it is German.
Sorry for the loss. Definitely sucks, but if anything, the good thing is that you're OK.

As for the fossil (why would you drive 100+mph if you think you hit the guardrail??), I doubt anything serious will happen to him...

Examples: Cleveland,OH "accident" (read the link that talks about the secretary at an auto dealership) and the follow-up.
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
Sorry for the loss. Definitely sucks, but if anything, the good thing is that you're OK.

As for the fossil (why would you drive 100+mph if you think you hit the guardrail??), I doubt anything serious will happen to him...

Examples: Cleveland,OH "accident" (read the link that talks about the secretary at an auto dealership) and the follow-up.
This reminds me of a case in Toronto a few years ago, female driver in her 80's ran down a jogger and dragged her, pinned under the car and screaming in agony, for well over a kilometer at slow speed while bystanders tried to get her to stop including pounding on the windows while running beside the slow moving car.

After the bloody carcass finally detached when she rounded a corner, the driver continued on to her house, pulled into the garage, closed the door and went inside, locked the door and closed all the curtains.

By her actions it was clear she knew exactly what she had done but claimed she was never aware of the incident.

If memory serves, no prison time but they did pull her license.

Not much comfort for the grieving family of the young woman who died.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #27
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
My buddy got rammed by a car while on my bicycle right next to me when I was jogging. When they tried to drive off with my bike still under the car, I dragged the driver out of the car through the window while BOTH he and his intoxicated GF were yelling at me about what the hell was I doing. Then they tried telling the cops that SHE was driving. He had several DUIs and a suspended license.

Another time, some pinhead and his friends tried to do a dine-n-dash at a restaurant I was managing. I caught him about a mile later as some off-duty cops were rolling out of a nearby bar. He tried telling them that he was just walking out to the car. I commented that he was "walking out to the car like Jesse Owens". The cops just about pissed themselves laughing.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
You dont speed off at 100+ for a guardrail unless you know for a fact that your doing something wrong. such as hitting my father on a bike then a huge truck then fleeing the scene. luckily that truck was able to catch up to it and it went east towards plainfield. and not west to open highway. glad he has to pay every cent of damage. He most definitely doesnt need to be driving. id be alittle upset if you werent able to ride anymore...

just keep on riding!
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #29
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,379
" Then he said, "He hates Naaaahzis, saw the bike and had a flashback!" I thought that was pretty funny since the plate is a play on words since most people that see the bike ask if it is German."
Thats sarcasm only cops understand. Most people are still dramatised after being hit. haha

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER OP
Getting There!

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
" Then he said, "He hates Naaaahzis, saw the bike and had a flashback!" I thought that was pretty funny since the plate is a play on words since most people that see the bike ask if it is German."
Thats sarcasm only cops understand. Most people are still dramatised after being hit. haha
That is definitely the truth. I have been on scenes when men and women alike, teens and even the parents that show up for the teens were all scatter brained like they popped a logic and reason 10A fuse. When the maximum amount of amps flowing through that fuse at the time of the crash could be measured in kiloamps. Im not sure what it is about small fender benders that throws people into a fugue state. It is odd. But yes. We do indeed have gallows humor.

So far the bike is in Ohio at Heindl Engineering. They stated that the frame was not bent. But the swing arm was slightly. So they are basically replacing everything that was touched. The list of things replaced looks satisfactory.
"Based on strikingly irrational beliefs & emotions, liberals relentlessly undermine the most important principles on which our freedoms were founded. Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood & demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave." Dr. Lyle Rossiter
'11 R1200GS Adventure, '12 F800GS III Black, '13 URAL GearUp
URBAN-ERT TACTIRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote