Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Oddometer: 91
Mexico City to Miami, to NYC, to... Tierra de Fuego!

Hello ADVriders!

My name is Ed, but most of the people call me Dudû. I am from Mexico.

After about 13 years of working my ass off as an economist, and dealing with the day-to-day boredom, bureaucracy, and BS at work, and after a wrecked marriage, that ended up in divorce, and as well with almost all my money and material possessions, I finally snapped and quit my job last year, paid all pending debts, and sold what I had left, including my dream bike ( which took me about 2 years to gather both money and courage to buy it!), I bought a smaller but more reliable bike to perform my dream trip: America from corner to corner.
The now/gone dream bike:

So I started riding last September 2012, departed from Mexico City, and headed south first to visit family and get to know my own country, which everyone kept telling me it was awesome, but I never had the time, nor money to get a glimpse by myself.

I bough a 220cc carbureted Indian made motorcycle: a Bajaj Pulsar 220f, because I know there are a lot of enthusiasts about this particular brand in South America, where I planned to spend most of my time of this trip. My first stop was the Sierra of Guerrero, then I turned to Veracruz (the whole estate, is really awesome as people said!!), and there I got a call from my sister who lives in Miami inviting me to visit her and her family, before heading south.

Since I had an open schedule I accepted with no hesitation, and here I am with my little bike, after being here for almost 4 months, enjoying the Sun of Florida, and waiting for the bad weather of the North to pass, preparing to continue the trip.

I am heading now to the southernmost point in the USA at Key West, and from there I will head up north all the way to Niagara Falls, with the plan of visit the following places, so far (Thanks PirateJohn, DolphinJohn for the hints on the Florida area) :
+ Key west, Fl
+ Everglades City Fl,
+ Matlacha , Fl
+ Venice,Fl where the Ringling family built a museum
+ Congaree National Park, South Carolina
+ Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee/North Carolina
+ Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
+ and whatever city, town, and joint that lies in the way :)

I am budgeting 13 days to get to Niagara Falls, stoping, and camping at the mentioned parks, and here is where I summon the great collective knowledge of this great forum: Am I budgeting enough time for the proposed trip? What are your experiences in regard of camping there?

I did a similar trip in SouthAmerica back in 2009, on a KLR I bought from another traveller, with the initial plan of going from Buenos Aires, to Mexico City, but I was not aware of the oil-consuming issue the 2008 model had and ended up seizing the engine about 1,000 km before the Border of Venezuela. Because of that I left the bike in a little town called Cacoal, Rondonia (Brazil) and continued by foot all the way to Caracas, where I had to take a plane In a rush, since I had depleted my time off, and the boss had given me a warning of arriving next day, or else...loose my job.
Since that experience, the travel by motorcycle bug bit me, and I did no wanted to find the cure, but to travel again.... That is what I am doing now.

Now, back to regular programming:
Since I am new at camping in the USA,
-Do you guys know where can I get a guide, or map to see all the places where I can camp along the trip?
-How easy is to camp in the USA?
-Can I place my tent whenever I see an empty spot in rural areas?
-Or what is the usual protocol regarding that?

Any help, tip, and know-how WILL be greatly appreciated!!

(more Pictures to come)

-Ed

Ps.- please forgive my bad English, and my even worse grammar: I am also new in writing in tablet computers :(

Nttra screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 03:32 PM
Nttra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Have a great trip.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Good Luck on the trip! There are lots of campgrounds along your way. One resource is:

http://www.woodalls.com/

or just google "motorcycle campgrounds" and a bunch of them will pop up. National parks usually will have camping available as well. Here is another site you might find helpful:

http://freecampsites.net/usa/
Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
DunlopC
Canadian Import

Oddometer: 90
Sabado 1 Junio, 2013

I'll see you Saturday Dudû.
I look forward to seeing your Bajaj Pulsar also as I have never seen one before.

DunlopC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
hola DUDU!!! or should I say Ed? no mames wey!!! jajaja. OK I will keep it in English for everybody to read, comment and say other wise.

First, I am your fan for life man!! and today I will eat some quesadillas with tortillas de harina and will be thinking of you!!

second. Don't camp anywhere with out asking for the owners for their authorization. Many people will shoot first and ask latter, and in the USA the law permits to have many guns (shotguns and sometimes even assault riffles and they will use them to deal with invaders of their lands), there will be many here that could welcome you in their homes, TENT SPACE is your friend!

Last, enjoy it!!!! I will be reading!!

Your amigo Profe Dámaso
Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Hola Dudu

Estaremos pendientes de tu ruta !!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,984
Tent Space Sign-Up Thread

Check out this thread about free places to stay. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

Have a great trip.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Hey Profe! Glad to see you here!! I kind of hate you now, because I am starving and all I got is a tin of SPAM, with no crackers! And you tell me about Tortillas de harina!! May karma do justice!!

Thanks Glen for the links, those are very helpful and I will take a look now. I tried CouchSurfing, and the few answers I have had said a very polite NO! because I have no vouchers nor friends on that network. That kind of reminded me when I started working fresh out from college, and the employers told me they couldn't hire me because I had no working experience, but how was I supposed to have working experience if nobody would had hired me?? Well, carry on!

Dunlop, up until now I have logged on, and found your message. Thanks to letting me stay at your place. I will give you a call at a more proper time, since its 3am, and I don't want to be a nuisance. I will try to take LA INDIA (my bike) the most presentable as possible :)

Emiliano, thanks for follow me up! stay tuned for some first world adventure, with a third world adventurer... But a first world day dreamer!!. Lol!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Today started well. I couldn't sleep at all last night, probably because of the excitement of returning to be on the road.
Anyway, I started preparing myself to set off at around 4am, I mounted the tank bag on the bike. The panniers, top case and camping gear and clothes were already there, since a day before, so I didn't need do do anything about those.

I cleaned up the room were I stayed for the last months, gave back the keys and remote control, I thanked again for the time I stayed there, and then jumped on the bike, ready to blast off! Since the moment I threw the leg over the bike, I felt that unique emotion related to biking. Is then moment when you finally realize your life just have changed and there is no way back.

I headed up to Key West, but since I had been there before by car, I decided to take the long way, and avoided all kind of toll roads. So I took the freeway 826 all the way until it ended, and there I continued on the US 1. I stopped to fill the gas, since I felt that Key West, being a holiday place, I would find higher gas prices. I wasn't wrong. Where I filled up the bike the gas was 3.40 a gallon, while at KW the same gallon would have costed me 3.80. Yikes!!

I continued all the US1 and stopped by Homestead to take some pics, but since it was really early in the morning, the lightening in the pictures wasn't so perfect, so I continued the route. I passed several interesting places, and business, with, lets say, "interesting" names (smugglers cove, hog paradise, etc). I arrived KW at a little before 10 am, and immediately, as usual, I got lost. But since I had no hurry I started roaming the streets to appreciate the buildings and the people's and their expressions.
By some estrange reason, I ended up at then place I intended to go: the southernmost marker in America. That curios buoy-shaped concrete monolith, painted with solemn colors, which was indeed the ONLY reason I went to KW, to take a picture of my bike and myself with that marker. Talk about estrange motivations!

While I was at KW, I decided to rearrange the distribution of the items I carry in the bike to make the trip more comfortable. As I was doing so, a couple of ladies, on their 40's parked their car besides me, got out of the car, and started doing some Yoga stretching movements. Man, I am easily distracted by pretty much everything, and in that situation it took me like tree times the required time and effort to end up what I was doing!!

I finally finished by noon,mans decided to start my way back, and while I was throwing my leg over the bike, a gentleman and his girlfriend were attracted by the stickers (maps) on the panniers and asked me about the trip. Resulted that the guy was a biker aswell, but more chopper inclined, and since the lady was from brazil, we started speaking portuguese about the trip, the experience while in USA, and places I should get to while I am in brazil. They were a really nice couple, I am glad I chatted with them.

On my way back, I stopped at Bahia Honda, and there I decided I should rest, I fell immediately asleep for about 4 hrs, until some thunders waked me up, so I resumed the trip back.

I stopped on homestead again, and I felt like being in California (I lived there about 13 yrs ago). The markets places, business, and people are very similar. It might have to do with the Mexican origin the majority of the people have. I felt like home when I stumbled upon the "Michoacana" an ice cream and Aguas frescas (fresh beverages) parlor. I wondered where were the Oxxo, and the HSBC. :)

I kept going all the way to the Big Cypress park, at the everglades, but the day was already gone, and I decided to stop to rest. I looked up for a place to camp, an the only one had a $20 fee. I decided not to stay because of the mosquitoes, which would have been eager to have me as a guest, all 14 million of them, LOL.... but I just kept going, and rested for about 2 hrs at an Welcome center. The mosquitoes again convinced me to continue riding, an so I did... That is how I ended up here, at one beach park in Naples. It's 2:41 am, and going to get some rest lying on the beach until dawn.
Who would have imagined? My stay for tonight is not 4 nor 5 stars... Is a million stars, and is priceless!!!

Today I am a happy Dudû

Pics to come, As soon as I find the adapter to extract them form the camera :(
Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Ok... Im in! Cool to see you are riding a small bike on such a long trip. I like the idea of low budget adventure travel.

I have traveled all over the U.S. camping on a motorcycle. Most privately owned camp grounds here are set up for travel trailers and motor homes although some will also have a few tent camping spaces and the prices are quite high compared to central and south America. But, they usually have showers and are close to cities and towns without much wildlife. The national and state parks will usually be less expensive (still more than you are probably use to but some are inexpensive or even free) but often they do not have showers and they are usually farther from cities and towns in more of a nature setting with more wildlife.

Thanks for sharing your travels Ed. Stay safe.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 02:21 AM
AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,984
Glad you found the tent space thread helpful.

Hopefully you will meet some cool people and tell us about them. Good luck getting away from mosquitos, we even have a few up here in the mountains, but only a few.

If you want to get away from the summer heat for a little while you should ride up some of the highest mountain roads. Some places it never gets over 75f all summer. Mt Mitchell is the highest, the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses it. Beech Mtn is the highest town in the East.

You will enjoy the curvy roads up here. Bikers come up in droves to enjoy the curves & cool air. You probably don't want to travel much of the BRP (Blue Ridge Pky), because the maximum speed limit is only 45 mph, but the views are incredible. It roughly follows the ridgeline of the Eastern Continental Divide and from some of the views you can see 100 miles on a clear day. Everybody there is on vacation, so you have to go slow. It's probably the most famous road in the US, so you have to ride at least a few miles of it. You'll feel like you are riding through a picture book, because it's so beautiful up there. No stop signs, stores, cities....just one very long road through nature. All the flowers are in bloom right now too.

be safe,
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
no me odios por tener tortillas!!

Dudu I found this link for places to camp in the US and Canada
www.USCampgrounds.info

"All 10,000 public campgrounds in the US and Canada No private campgrounds."

saludos!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Glad you found the tent space thread helpful.

Hopefully you will meet some cool people and tell us about them. Good luck getting away from mosquitos, we even have a few up here in the mountains, but only a few.

If you want to get away from the summer heat for a little while you should ride up some of the highest mountain roads. Some places it never gets over 75f all summer. Mt Mitchell is the highest, the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses it. Beech Mtn is the highest town in the East.

You will enjoy the curvy roads up here. Bikers come up in droves to enjoy the curves & cool air. You probably don't want to travel much of the BRP (Blue Ridge Pky), because the maximum speed limit is only 45 mph, but the views are incredible. It roughly follows the ridgeline of the Eastern Continental Divide and from some of the views you can see 100 miles on a clear day. Everybody there is on vacation, so you have to go slow. It's probably the most famous road in the US, so you have to ride at least a few miles of it. You'll feel like you are riding through a picture book, because it's so beautiful up there. No stop signs, stores, cities....just one very long road through nature. All the flowers are in bloom right now too.

be safe,
I see mt. Mitchell is about 8 hrs from here. I could ride all the way to Congaree Nat. Park, camp there, and resume tomorrow early in the morning in order to get there before noon. It really interested me to ride there, you are the third person who recommends me to go there, and I am not that stubborn to not to go, hehe

Later today I will compile the ride report from yesterday and today.. Stay tuned!!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Talking

Thanks a bunch profe!
I have already bookmarked the site in my phone to use their mobile version! That webpage is awesome!

Quiero tacos! Ya tengo hambre!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
no me odios por tener tortillas!!

Dudu I found this link for places to camp in the US and Canada
www.USCampgrounds.info

"All 10,000 public campgrounds in the US and Canada No private campgrounds."

saludos!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Nttra OP
I lost my OLD posts!

Day 2: from Naples to St. Augustine, Fl

I woke up really early with the first sunray. It has been so long since I hadn't sleep by the beach. I guess the last time I did that, I was still in college, and this experience brought back some good memories.

While I was trying to get a grip of myself, a nice man approached to me. His name was Eric, 36 years old, same old as I am. Married and a happy parent of two kids. We started talking about bikes, but then the conversation topic turned about how fair (or unfair) life is, an some other good stuff. He said that he also enjoyed traveling by motorcycle, but time and money are always getting in the way for doing so. I told him that I used to be like that, but somehow things self arranged in my life and now I am penny less, and doing a big trip on my bike. And the only material things I have left I life, are the ones I carry on the bike, nothing else. We discussed about the illusion of need we are all trained to believe in and the deep impact it has on our personality and standard on the long run.

I am starting to believe that what we really need in life, are few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, some little space to lie down in – and some form of working or physical activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. Everything else will become a burden in life.

We said goodbye, and then headed up to the closest McDonald's to do my daily McDiet: coffee, bread and lots of free WiFi to trace the next route.
While at McDonald's I encountered a very interesting person, Tom Tiger, who is riding his heavily modified bicycle though Florida. He claims to have read about 2,000 books already. The discussion with him turned very interesting, ranging from topics like traveling the USA, to the applicable logic of The Matrix to "real" life, having in between A Course of Miracles, as a mandatory stop in the conversation. I also met a Mexican fellow, who recently moved from California to Naples to start up a fancy restaurant.

Sadly, time doesn't forgive, and I had to start hitting the road again if I wanted to arrive on time to Chris's house at St Augustine, on the other end of North Florida.
I took only secondary roads on my way to St Augustine, and right after passing Homestead, Fl I stopped to rehydrate a little, and there I made some conversation with a couple of Mexicans working in the "shadows" nearby.
They mentioned some very deplorable work conditions, they have to stand because they arrived to this country with no legal documents, and they can't go back to Mexico because the rising violence by the Cartels down in their towns. I was surprised to hear the common practice of not receiving their paycheck (even for months!) as a way their employers have to keep them in "captivity" and from looking for another way to sustain themselves.

I jumped on the bike again, and because I took only secondary roads, and it was heavily raining, the trip turned from the original 6 hrs planned, to almost 10 hrs! Amazingly I didn't end all smashed. I guess I am getting really used to my loyal and comfy India!!

I finally Arrived to st Augustine really late, and as we say in Mexico "con la cola entre las patas" REALLY ASHAMED, for such a late arrival to Chris's home. Chris and his girlfriend welcomed me very warmly, and the original idea was to camp at their backyard, but he insisted I should stay at their guest room!! I even was given the chance to take a shower!! After that, I fall asleep as a baby until next morning.
Chris's and his girlfriend are among the nicest persons I have ever met so far in my trip, and I will be always grateful for the nice words they shared with me.

Ps.- I am still having some troubles uploading pics. I had to use Tapatalk server since photobucket and google drive mobile versions don't seem to like my devices at all!!

Sent from crappy iPhone

Nttra screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 09:52 AM