Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #121
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Dsm8 has got your number hodgo.....is he a x ozzy ....loves to take the piss ....BTW more chick pics mate
Sean-O he has been telling quite a few stories about you while he stayed over. Seems you have a penchant for a few things that we find a bit odd over here in the states but based on that and your reputation I can begin to understand why you want to see all the pictures of the pretty girls, I guess you cant get close enough to them over there to see for your self (unless they are covered in bark or such, at least that is the current theory). He went on about drag queens and sheep but I pretty much tuned him out at that point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post
Well. Camped at Crowley lake. Few good stiff breezes tonight & temp has dropped down to 24degC from about 34 at 6pm. Still fairly light outside.

Note to self camp further away from Mexicanz. Nice people but only interested I. Their immediate surroundings.

Good run up highway 395 stunning views. Will post more pictures when I get wifi again.
I see you went through Yosemite, you really missed out on some spectacular roads just north going over the mountains in the central valley. Hope you are able to get back to do them again..

And remember don't eat the big mints in the urinals no matter how good they smell...

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #122
Hodgo OP
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,553
Dave,
Nah mate wont be eating out of the urinals. Not that hungry yet.Yeah i probably missed the mountains but i think i made up for it later.
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #123
DSM8

Quote:
Dave,
Nah mate wont be eating out of the urinals. Not that hungry yet.Yeah i probably missed the mountains but i think i made up for it later.
I saw your going back and forth, that is the way do all three or 4 of the roads accross those mountains. Worth the ride.

Once your out of the heat and along the coast is just gets better from there.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #124
Hodgo OP
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Update 17 June 2013

So day one saw me leave the kindness of young dave DSM8. Or was it him actually kicking me out the door muttering something about aussies being bludgers or something along those lines.

I hit the road good old 395 north. Not a lot to see untill i got up into the hills. Some of the scenery was spectacular.

Lots of snow capped mountain peaks. Something that we dont see alot of in oz.

I chose to camp early at Crowley lake. Lady at the gate slugged me 15 good old US green ones for the use of her shitter and view of the lake. Not so sure the noisey mexicans fisherman in the camp next to me was worth the $15 . But none the less the views were awesome.

The sun didnt really set untill about 830pm. So i sat down about fourish & just relaxed & went over the bike. Having done enough sitting around i went for a little ride round camp with the driftha camera turned on. Some good bits of vid after i worked out which way to turn it around.

The temperature during the day was up to 34degc. 90f odd. Once the sun dropped so did the temps. As the campsite at Crowley lake is 7000ft above sea level the cold certainly raised its head. Night temps dropped down to 7degreesc.

Although im writing this on Sunday my second camp night out im finding it more for my benefit to remember where i have been and what i have seen. A few years of military life tends to kill off some brain cells from all the boozing & playing around.

I notice the mexicans were catching a few fish so i wandered over for a yarn & to see what sort of fish they were. The fish were black looking trout & bream looking fish, mostly one half pounds. Not a bad catch at all. The guys didnt seem that keen to talk to me so i left them to sprook thier spanish amongst themselves.

There was millions of midges, that actually looked like mozzies, so i was thinking the night sleep was going to be interesting. But the midges pretty much did nothing but swarm in numbers & be annoying by their presence.
In the morning i managed to try and get some more photos of old mate in his row boat with a nice back drop.

Found a few more locals to talk to then packed up camp and rode out about 10 am.

I then headed up towards Yosemite. I have been there before in 2000 but memories had faded so decided it was worth the $10 to visit. The views again were absolutely stunning. However there was a hell of a lot of people being a Sunday.

Some HD rider called me an inmate and insisted on a photo of the SE. Said he was up there for a bucks party. Nice bloke, we just chatted about hydraulic clutches failing etc.

No feeding bears.

Do you know how hard it is to find some condensed milk in a tub ? Heres ome for Seano.

Brew time.

More photos.

Then more photos.

Crappy spot for a brew ....

I thought this was funny.

Then some more twisty roads up towards Reno. But i didn't quite make it that far and i decided to stealth camp. Most of these roads i was pretty much staying in 5th gear. My gearing at the moment is 17/42 so 6th is only really good over 100kph. Ideal speed for the freeways here as the mad yanks all do 80mph plus. Glad i brought the 950 as i could see that a big trip like this would suck on a 650.

The bike seems to be running fine but you do notice power loss at the high altitudes, ie over 7000. Had to increase the idle as i did stall it a few times. Plus some of the larger hills sees me drop down to 5th.

Switch back bridges.

I was seeing a hell of a lot of fire trucks and dozers coming towards me, obviously heading towards fire stricken areas as backup crews. A few managed a wave.

Sitting here after having some tucker and enjoying the bush sounds with a good cuppa tea.

Head to Reno tomorrow & see where that will leave me.

So i camped not far from Bear Valley it seems. The roads up to 8000ft were awesome with many many first gear corners.

Spotted this nice little cabin what a picture.

Coming into Douglas i was stopped by the countries finest for doing 80mph in a 55 zone. He seemed more interested in the bike and up for a bit of a yarn. Luckily he let me off with a warning.

Hodgo screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 09:58 AM
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #125
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,018
Great pix Hodgo !

Good to see you getting in some great scenic places. Keep it coming !
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #126
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,637
Cool pix bro and bringing back great memories of the USA. Crash as many national parks as ya can mate they are bloody outstanding

There is plenty of free camping too in the national forest but NOT in the national parks.

In the national forest to free camp you only have to be 100 feet? off the road (can a local verify the distance)
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #127
DSM8

Quote:
So day one saw me leave the kindness of young dave DSM8. Or was it him actually kicking me out the door muttering something about aussies being bludgers or something along those lines.
I would not go so far as to say you have ruined my image of Aussies in general but the flies were starting to get a little thick around the house so seemed like getting you on the road was the right thing to do.

That and your constant muttering about missing so Kiwi named Sean-O and his big tree (something about his bark being worse than his bite and such) was making me nervous and blood is hard to get out of the carpet so I figured instead of having to sleep with a loaded Glock it was time for you to go....

Great pics, now just get your damn finger out of the frame....

Look forward to your trip report coming back down along the coast, remember to do the avenue of Giants while up in Oregon. And remember they yell at you if you pump your own gas there...

Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #128
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 857
Nice work Hodgo! I thought Dave would have pulled the Glock out a few days earlier though....
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #129
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,010
Quote:
Coming into Douglas i was stopped by the countries finest for doing 80mph in a 55 zone. He seemed more interested in the bike and up for a bit of a yarn. Luckily he let me off with a warning.
So glad that the Aussies are being stopped in the USA while I was stopped in South Australia! Speeding must be universal! With good international relations we both walk away with a good chat and no fines

Ride safe and enjoy!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 07:20 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #130
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Glad you are doing your bit for international relations Hodgo. Loved the photos of Yosemite and it seems so weird seeing desert with snow capped mountains in the background. Odd. Thanks for the reports
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #131
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Nice work Hodgo! I thought Dave would have pulled the Glock out a few days earlier though....
Ammo is getting expensive...

Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #132
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,643
Awesome photos Hodgo Keep em coming.

Remember we only jetted the bikes for sea level to about 2500ft, so no suprise it's not running at it best.

If you don't want the piss taken, stop giving it away!
Chop Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #133
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,285
good 1 hodge ...top pics mate ..ya make it look like a nice place to visit .....bully boys get ya hu ... did ya give em some Ozzy slang to baffle em ...works for me when I venture into NSW

so all those nice scenery shots and none of the 2 legged variety
thought them Yankee chicks liked us real aussie men

maybe not the bald 1's hu

DSm8 all the story's hodge told ya are bullshit ...im a top rider on a gun xrr

keep it comin hodge
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #134
DSM8

Eek

[QUOTE=Sean-0;21668837]
thought them Yankee chicks liked us real aussie men

Well that explains why he isnt attracting any, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #135
Hodgo OP
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Hey I resemble that comment.

Having some small issues with my chain
,...... I think. I removed the chain guide that I replaced underneath the rear sprocket but there is still a rubbing sound when its cold or the chain has cooled down.

Could be the cush rubbers wearing but there is no free play in the hub.

IT'S like the chain is rubbing in the case or something. A bolt was rubbing on the sprocket. But I removed it when I took the guide off. Will see if it gets worse.

Hodgo screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:31 PM