Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #301
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtonkalot View Post
Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

I've amended the profile a bit. I currently am staying out near Camden in Western Sydney.

I do not know if the previous owner of the bike was a member here but they were certainly aware of the forum.

I'll add a photo soon, I'm having phone and internet troubles no end lately but I know you want to see pics.

Got a couple of questions someone here may be able to help with:

I lost the flasher relay, need one for rego checks soon. Anyone recommend a cheap replacement that's available locally? Doesn't need to be oem, just gotta work.

I'd like to have a header pipe exhaust guard (mine's missing) but can't find them. any suggestions for attaching something else? I was going to cut some aluminum pipe and try attach with big hose clamps somehow.

This bike is pretty hard to re-kick once it's hot, starts real easy when cold. Any tips for hot starting to make my life easier? I think I have the decomp technique figured out all right.

Thanks again all.

I'll be back with a photo ASAP
For a flasher relay, I'm using a $7.00, 2 wire unit from supercheap.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #302
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

I've amended the profile a bit. I currently am staying out near Camden in Western Sydney.

I do not know if the previous owner of the bike was a member here but they were certainly aware of the forum.

I'll add a photo soon, I'm having phone and internet troubles no end lately but I know you want to see pics.

Got a couple of questions someone here may be able to help with:

I lost the flasher relay, need one for rego checks soon. Anyone recommend a cheap replacement that's available locally? Doesn't need to be oem, just gotta work.

I'd like to have a header pipe exhaust guard (mine's missing) but can't find them. any suggestions for attaching something else? I was going to cut some aluminum pipe and try attach with big hose clamps somehow.

This bike is pretty hard to re-kick once it's hot, starts real easy when cold. Any tips for hot starting to make my life easier? I think I have the decomp technique figured out all right.

Thanks again all.

I'll be back with a photo ASAP
XR250/400 are the same indicator units in case you are near a wrecker.

The exhaust guard is still available for the 2000 model (PROTECTOR, EX. PIPE 18325-MG3-000) from Service Honda but a local shop can order it in for you, I burnt 2 sets of pants right through to the meat on my 94 without one. Also check to see if you need the bolts and order them with it, check the threads too, I had to remove a broken bolt and re-tap the thread.

Hot starting should be easy, all I can say without wild speculation on the problem is that you must follow a process of elimination, you'll need a multimeter to check resistance values of ignition components and the actual wires between those components to rule out intermittent cable breaks (they read as a higher resistance than a good wire) and a good carb clean whether you think it needs it or not, any problems I have had always seem to be the carb even when I was dead sure it was electrical, problems are mainly float level which can self adjust on corrugation or grit from fuel bowl breathers blocking jets or galleries.
Try and get a genuine Honda manual, the rest are below par.

Cheers

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #303
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Still cant get the pics off my phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
For a flasher relay, I'm using a $7.00, 2 wire unit from supercheap.
Awesome, thanks. How did you wire it up? I have a 3 pin socket where the last one was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno
XR250/400 are the same indicator units in case you are near a wrecker.
I am near a decent wrecker I'll check there first.
Quote:
The exhaust guard is still available for the 2000 model (PROTECTOR, EX. PIPE 18325-MG3-000) from Service Honda but a local shop can order it in for you
Thank you, I didn't notice any mounting points on or around the header pipe, where are they/should they be?
Quote:
Hot starting should be easy, all I can say without wild speculation on the problem is that you must follow a process of elimination, you'll need a multimeter to check resistance values of ignition components and the actual wires between those components to rule out intermittent cable breaks
Cheers, I'd like to know a bit more about how to do these checks, basically where to test and what values to expect. Can I find that info in the service manual?

I'm going to take of the carby and give it a good clean, I have been meaning to. Bike seems to bog out a little easy and I suspect that could be the cause
shtonkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #304
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Still cant get the pics off my phone!

Thank you, I didn't notice any mounting points on or around the header pipe, where are they/should they be?
Cheers, I'd like to know a bit more about how to do these checks, basically where to test and what values to expect. Can I find that info in the service manual?
Here you go, guard mount points. (unless you have aftermarket headers of course)

With the electrical checks you will learn a hell of a lot about your bike, the Aussie XR wiring is different to the US versions but all component values will be the same as the Honda manual states, there are Aussie wiring diagrams available on the www.
Edit: When you check any wiring for breakages wriggle the wiring harness when you test each wire.

Cheers

Kenno screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:35 PM
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #305
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Thanks again Kenno!

Yeah my header pipe may be aftermarket then, there is no added metal pieces to the pipes for mounting. I'd show a pic but I still cant get my phone to work.

I'm still not convinced it's aftermarket pipes, it's got the oem black muffler on it and the pipes look the same as the diagram but without the mounts or extra metal around the pipe on the front mount.
But I can definitely say the bits you've circled in red are not there.

Anyone got a 93 that can tell me if they have any different mounting than shown?

I just started checking electricals, if anyone has a link to the Aussie wiring I'd appreciate it. I've googled an image of the Aussie diagram but it's too low res to read the wire colours.

**edit**
Managed to get a couple of old pics from when I first brought her home, included a zoom in on the header pipe:

shtonkalot screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 08:55 PM Reason: Now with pictures!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #306
shtonkalot
Adventurer

*Prepare for noob questions*

Sorry for the extra post but I could use with some help with wiring.
I'm struggling to find a wiring diagram that matches what I have.

I think my wiring has been messed with, I believe I have an aftermarket headlight surround and suspect perhaps some hand done wiring for some of the lights on the bike.

First I'd like to know if an Aussie 93 xr600 has both high and low beam?

As the light was wired up I have a low/high switch that was light off when switched low / low beam (one of two filaments lit up) when switched to high. As I could measure it there was only 3 volts getting to the light when switched to high.

I've been trying to make sense of the output from the wires, I could really use a confirmed wiring diagram of an aussie 93.

Can anyone tell me what 3 wires I'm looking for from my high low switch?

Is there a difference between 92, 93 or 94 wiring?

Sorry for all the queries, I'll do my best to help others as soon as I learn what I'm doing ;)

I'm keen to get the bike registered, I'm guessing I need a working high and low beam.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #307
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:

I think my wiring has been messed with, I believe I have an aftermarket headlight surround and suspect perhaps some hand done wiring for some of the lights on the bike.

As the light was wired up I have a low/high switch that was light off when switched low / low beam (one of two filaments lit up) when switched to high. As I could measure it there was only 3 volts getting to the light when switched to high.

I've been trying to make sense of the output from the wires, I could really use a confirmed wiring diagram of an aussie 93.

Sorry for all the queries, I'll do my best to help others as soon as I learn what I'm doing ;)

I'm keen to get the bike registered, I'm guessing I need a working high and low beam.
You are looking for blue, white and green.

blue is high beam, wire goes into a dual connector and up to the high beam indicator in the speedo.

White is low beam.

Green is earth, plugs into a 3 way connector.

See if you can find a wiring diagram for the german version, theirs is the same as ours.
Failing that, you may have to get one from your Honda bloke..that's what I did.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #308
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:

Def aftermarket header.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #309
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

blue is high beam, wire goes into a dual connector and up to the high beam indicator in the speedo.

White is low beam.

Green is earth, plugs into a 3 way connector.

See if you can find a wiring diagram for the german version, theirs is the same as ours.
My 92 wiring diagram confirms Lookfars but it is in the back of my original owners booklet as XR600R(U), none of my workshop manuals have the Aussie versions in them.
I tried to scan this one but it is way too useless to bother, i need 2 sets of magnifiers to read it.
XR650R is similar in the manual with enough colour differences to confuse users.
Try and get the little owners handbook if you can, it has the diagram in the back, I bought mine on (that)bay for 10 bucks.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #310
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Quote:
THANK YOU!
It appears The output wires are all in order then, at least they are the right colours ;)

I have followed your descriptions and it does match mine. Unfortunately I think I have a problem. Measuring voltage across the blue and green when switched to high I read only just over 1v! The light looks like it's getting more than that though... maybe not full (or half full only 1 filament lit) brightness but surely mostly lit.

When switched to low (or high) I get no voltage across the green and white.

Quote:
Thanks, think I have the german service manual in pdf files, I'd like to get a Aussie one on paper. Know what Honda charge for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
Def aftermarket header.
Thanks for the confirmation. This bike has more history than I'm aware of for sure.

I feel like my speedo and decomp cables are a bit too long to be original. They just stick out from the bike further than I think they should though they are running through retainers.

Do others have a bit too much length in these cables?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #311
lookfar
from the land of OZ

shtonkalot, check your PM's
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #312
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Quote:
shtonkalot, check your PM's
Replied, cheers mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno
I tried to scan this one but it is way too useless to bother, i need 2 sets of magnifiers to read it.
Thank you very much for your effort. You guys are awesome help.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #313
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Big thanks to lookfar and Kenno, got my wiring somewhat sorted, I had dodgy connections. Need a LED capable flasher next. Borrowed a mates flasher from his nx650 Dominator (direct plug in) but as I have a couple of LED indicators mixed with the rest it wasn't very effective.

I'm hoping to add a battery just as Kenno showed here. Does anyone know how large a battery I can go, I was hoping to use a 9ah AGM battery I have here.

I'm going to head out to jaycar and grab some diodes and maybe a flasher relay?
Maybe I should go check out the wreckers too, yeah shopping adventures!

Thanks for the great support here guys. I was getting a bit annoyed with the wiring yesterday and the help here kept me calm and patient.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #314
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
battery size depends on what you want to do with it. I bought a battery but ended up leaving it out as I just run a GPS and the intenal battery keeps it going between rest stops.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #315
shtonkalot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Yank View Post
battery size depends on what you want to do with it.
Cheers for the response. I want to run extra lighting from it when camping and use it as a 5v USB charger with an adapter I have. I've used the battery for lots of things and know I can get a night of light from the battery no problem.

It's more the charging I was concerned with. I don't know how many amps I can have the battery draw before it may be a problem. By problem I mean lights not getting enough power or other electrical stuff being affected. Not sure how long I'd need to run the bike to charge it either but I guess time will tell on that one.

I'm pretty good with batteries and small DC electronics but bike electricals are new to me.