Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #46
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone buy an XR650L today?

I know that they are still sold in the US (why did it stop here?) but for the price that you guys are mentioning, $9k+, you are getting an old model bike that isn't supported in Australia, for at least $1k more than a DR650 would run you. Which obviously has a massive aftermarket support.

It just doesn't seem to make financial sense selling this bike, especially for the prices that were mentioned. Who would buy a new XR650L, especially over these similar bikes? Serious question by the way, would like some discussion, or someone setting me straight.

Cheers,

John
No argument here, they are too dear compaired to a DR. Why did Honda stop selling the 400&650"s here? Even the bloke at Rising Sun Honda, couldn't give me an answer, someone higher up the chain must surely realize that Suzuki have the market share with the DRZ & DR. If you were a Honda dealer you must be thinking why do i bother

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #47
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone buy an XR650L today?

Who would buy a new XR650L, especially over these similar bikes? Serious question by the way, would like some discussion, or someone setting me straight.

Cheers,

John
A few reasons for me, I like very tall bikes, I like reliable bikes (dr is too), I like simple bikes and I like to thunder along tracks in style when I feel like it and with some weight, they are very similar to the 600 but have a fat arse.
For those who like shops to do their work any bike will do.

Ken is mobile.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #48
The Duck 01
Tigerman

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
A few reasons for me, I like very tall bikes, I like reliable bikes (dr is too), I like simple bikes and I like to thunder along tracks in style when I feel like it and with some weight, they are very similar to the 600 but have a fat arse.
For those who like shops to do their work any bike will do.

Ken is mobile.
I don't post much, But for my 2 cents worth.
XR650L is a more comfortable bike to ride than a DR. Better suspension out of the box. Better on single tracks, touring and all around.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #49
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Got adventures in your blood? This awesome new forum lets you tell all and post pics of your ride.

Never ridden a DR but sat on one and it was like sitting on a Shetland, I have suggested my daughter gets one.
The 650L can really get up and go off road but the 600 is faster.

Ken is mobile.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #50
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Never ridden a DR but sat on one and it was like sitting on a Shetland, I have suggested my daughter gets one.

Ken is mobile.
The L is certainly a better fit for a tall bloke.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #51
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Ken is mobile.
You can also add a kickstarter easily, not an option for most new bikes.
XR650L's are supported by Honda dealers too.

Ken is mobile.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #52
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Hmmm, true, I didn't consider things like the suspension and height advantages of the XRL over the DR.

Not to play devil advocate though, but would it work out to be $2k better stock vs stock? Cause thats what is the difference going by the rough prices quoted.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people buy the XRL's and so on. But I thought that they were much more popular in the states than here, possible due to (or resulting in) them currently being sold as of 2013. In Australia, I would make the uneducated and probably wildly inaccurate assumption that the XRL was never as popular? And compared to the XR600? Maybe you guys could set me straight there?

All the reasons that were given so far by Ken and The Duck are great: tall, quite good off road, good touring etc. I completely 100% understand that, and no doubt people buy them second hand for that very reason. But would either of you (or anyone else reading) pony up $10500 to buy a new XRL? That's a lot of $$$.
Ken, the kick start option is a great thing, don't get me wrong. But is that a deal maker/breaker, or just an interesting possible feature that the XRL can have? Meaning, for someone considering a 'new' XRL, I can't imagine that they would seriously consider adding a kickstart, since that involves splitting the case and swapping in part I think. Probably not going to happen on a fresh new bike, straight out of the showroom?

I think I should clarify here: I am not talking about an older XRL that you've pick up for $4-6k that runs beautifully etc. That's the bike that I can see people buying. No, I'm talking about someone walking into the shop, and buying a new 2012/2013 XRL for $10500. I just can't see it happening. Though obviously it does, otherwise the bike stores wouldn't import them!

Anyway, good discussion guys, thanks for chiming in! Let me know if you agree/disagree.

Cheers,

John

Captain115 screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 08:24 AM
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #53
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
John,
It's not a major job to fit a kick start to the 650L, from what I'm lead to believe. I never bothered though, as they are super low compression, about 8.3:1 I think, and not real hard to bump start.

This reminds me of a discussion a few of us had a while ago. Can't find the link to it right now, but the key points from me were:

In stock form they are gutless smog engine, low comp, small valves, CV carby, restrictive exhaust etc.
The gear ratios are crap for off-road work.
The suspension is terrible, especially the front.
Fuel consumption is high when trying to up the pace.
Dodgy style fuel tank mounts that limit tank options.

All this can be sorted, but needs $$$.

On a good note, they have a lovely seat, adequate ground clearance, suit a taller rider & have elec start.

I'm an XR man from way back, but this one should have got / kept XL designation.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #54
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

I would not buy a new 650L at the Aussie price but I would at the U.S. price of around 6k.

You can buy them for 3k or less and fix them cheap but I enjoy it, kickstart parts come from an old 600 and cost about $200 from a bike wrecker or thatbay.

I can't push start mine and I am quite strong but I can roll start on a slight slope.

I can kickstart my fully loaded 650 in a hard place though and if I drown the bike (common where I live) I have options.

Ken is mobile.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #55
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

It comes back to the old question Ken, If Honda still sold the 650's & 400's ADR approved the prices would be near the same as the DR and DRZ. I still don't understand why Honda dealers put up with this stupid buisness decision, every man and his dog used to own a Honda, not anymore.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #56
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy69 View Post
John,
It's not a major job to fit a kick start to the 650L, from what I'm lead to believe. I never bothered though, as they are super low compression, about 8.3:1 I think, and not real hard to bump start.

This reminds me of a discussion a few of us had a while ago. Can't find the link to it right now, but the key points from me were:

In stock form they are gutless smog engine, low comp, small valves, CV carby, restrictive exhaust etc.
The gear ratios are crap for off-road work.
The suspension is terrible, especially the front.
Fuel consumption is high when trying to up the pace.
Dodgy style fuel tank mounts that limit tank options.

All this can be sorted, but needs $$$.

On a good note, they have a lovely seat, adequate ground clearance, suit a taller rider & have elec start.

I'm an XR man from way back, but this one should have got / kept XL designation.
Spot on Smithy69, a few mods needed for sure.

I have a stock 650 and a modified 650 and they are worlds apart.

The modified bike is also better on fuel with the flatslide carb.

Ken is mobile.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Ken,
I do think one of these in nice low use, unmodified condition would make a great project bike. You could turn one into a sweet ride surely.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #58
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
It comes back to the old question Ken, If Honda still sold the 650's & 400's ADR approved the prices would be near the same as the DR and DRZ. I still don't understand why Honda dealers put up with this stupid buisness decision, every man and his dog used to own a Honda, not anymore.
Things might be changing OBJ with the new CRF250L.
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #59
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Ken, I used your ratchet strap/clutch tool method to tighten the three high-torque nuts back up and it worked perfectly! Thanks for letting my know, and showing me how to do it.

If anyone else is rebuilding an XR600 or XR650L engine, contact Ken for the low down on how to not fuck up your crank!

Photos of the rebuild XR to come within the next week.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #60
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

I hear ya, how about my beloved old landcruiser, gotta buy a 2006 model to get what i want, a 6 cylinder diesel wagon with live axle.
Toyota and Honda must have the same marketing idiots making decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post