1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #62
TruckerDJ
drunkard

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would anyone buy an XR650L today?

I know that they are still sold in the US (why did it stop here?) but for the price that you guys are mentioning, $9k+, you are getting an old model bike that isn't supported in Australia, for at least $1k more than a DR650 would run you. Which obviously has a massive aftermarket support.

It just doesn't seem to make financial sense selling this bike, especially for the prices that were mentioned. Who would buy a new XR650L, especially over these similar bikes? Serious question by the way, would like some discussion, or someone setting me straight.

Cheers,

John
it's just what you're passionate about.

had an 05 xrl, wore it out & couldn't replace it with a new one.(kept it for a spare though)
Bought a dr 650, did all the important stuff to it to make it go and ride better....... and it was still a dog. Just found it boring to ride. Replaced it with an 02 xrl and have loved every minute on it.

some people like cake

I like xrl's

trev
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #63
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy69 View Post
I'm an XR man from way back, but this one should have got / kept XL designation.
Exactly. Well said.

My biggest beef with the 650 L is the misuse (outright lie, actually) of using the XR in front of it. It is an XL, with XR plastics, basically.
I hate marketing departments.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #64
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Well you'll like mine then, its an air cooled XR650R that looks exactly like an XR650L, licensing center would not believe me that it was an L because they said it was originally licensed as an R and so I had to get a compliance plate fitted for the pillion pegs!

My other XR650L is actually licensed as an L by the same folks.

There is no telling some people, even the bike shop involved for the plate (not Honda).

I never went for the XL because they slung the engine lower and they were more like a DR650 and too small for me, I'd never get where i go with an XL without a lot of dragging and cursing, my 650L however will go to the same places as my 600 but wheelstands too easy in really steep stuff because of traction caused by electric start weight.

Suspension is identical in every way except for spring rates.

I would definitely say the XRL is more of an off road bike than the (old)XL.

Old school HONDA Score card off road XR600 10/10 of course, XR650L 7.5/10, XL 5/10.

Yes, I agree, it is the new XL only better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Exactly. Well said.

My biggest beef with the 650 L is the misuse (outright lie, actually) of using the XR in front of it. It is an XL, with XR plastics, basically.
I hate marketing departments.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #65
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Stu I think Dean has an electric start crank and parts lying around at the back of his shop for your XL engine, saw it while I was parts hunting for my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
IT LIVES!!!!!
Honda XR600R 1988

From this....(poor thing)

And a gratuitous 1985 XL600 pic...can't help myself

Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #66
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

This weekends project

Just putting a new JE 101mm piston into my 650L bored cylinder to save me having to carry as much oil as water on the ride to DQB.

Wanted to go to a stock piston but they only go 2nd oversize and the cylinder had nasty wear marks so I went straight to 101 to get clear of any spalling.

We'll see how she goes after a warm up and a new ring/bore full throttle thrashing tomorrow before i drop and change the oil.

EDIT: For the record I fitted a JE 101mm 10.5:1 XR600 Piston to this XR650L which gave me a final compression ratio of 9.3:1 (stock is 8.3:1) because of the lower comp height of the XR600 piston.
JE part number is 128966, the increased power over the stock comp ratio wiseco now lifts the nose straight up in 2nd seated normally and a snap off and on in 3rd lifts straight up into a no clutch wheelie with 15/45 sprockets once you are on the cam with your arse aft a bit.
It now has more low end torque than both my XR600's but not the revability factor that lets me carry gears further on trails like the 600's.
Did a 60K ring run in not pussyfooting and glazing things up, dropped oil and cleaned the stainless filter, lots of bore particulate glimmering away in there, will do another change before the big ride.
Piston is nice and quiet in it's 100.99mm bore once warmed up.

Kenno screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 08:06 AM
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #67
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Hey Stu I think Dean has an electric start crank and parts lying around at the back of his shop for your XL engine, saw it while I was parts hunting for my project.
Has he now....... Hmm....
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #68
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Well you'll like mine then, its an air cooled XR650R that looks exactly like an XR650L, licensing center would not believe me that it was an L because they said it was originally licensed as an R and so I had to get a compliance plate fitted for the pillion pegs!

My other XR650L is actually licensed as an L by the same folks.

There is no telling some people, even the bike shop involved for the plate (not Honda).
My XL is similar... It was originally licensed as a XL600V Transalp, and no amount of convincing will change their minds.
So.. I have a xl600 Transalp that looks exactly like a XL600R..

Govt depts are amazing.... back in the days, I was a collector of firearms. I got a PTA for a .50 cal Browning aircraft machinegun, and the silly person classified it as a CAT "H" instead of CAT "R". When I rang them to explain the error of their ways they were very apologetic when I mentioned that one would need a very large pocket to put it in.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #69
lookfar
from the land of OZ

So, I had a play with the XR again today.
Got all the lights working as they should, bit of a hiccup with the headlight..
turns out that 6v globes don't like 12v....Who'd 'a thunk...go figure

Still got a bit to do, kill switch, horn, wiring tidy up, tyres, chain, sprockets....etc.

Anyway, here is an updated pic of what it looks like now..

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #70
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'll probably ask this same question in the main XR6 thread (Call all XR600s) at some point, but I figured that it might be more relevant with the aussie-spec XR.

Basically, if you want to run anything else on the bike, you've got to do the stator upgrade yes? Because at the moment, if I turn on my indicators it makes the headlight brightens and dims frequency of the blinkers; pretty funny to watch.

But yeah to run a GPS, charge phone etc I'd need a more powerful stator right?

My question is: would it be better to wire up a little battery somewhere, so I can charge stuff for a bit when it's the bikes off or if I hook up small extra lights, I can have them on while the big is off (eg setting up a tent in the dark)?
Obviously it doesn't matter if I run the battery down since it's a kickstart.

Or is it easier/better just o run if all off the normal stator power?

I know that Ken's done some touring on the XR (L?) and might chime in, but what about others out there? Or maybe you guys might remember what you did back in the day, when you were riding them new!

Side note: I have verrrry little funds, so keep it simple and cheap.

Cheers,

John
Hey John,
If your lights are still playing up, check the capacitor on the regulator/rectifier. The capacitor is supposed to smooth out all the "bumps" with the supply.

It is a 100V 2200 microfarad if you need to replace...Jaycar may have them.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #71
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Hey Ken, just letting you know that the significant vibration I experienced before the rebuild has disappeared now. Could've been due to the dodgy big end, but could've also been due to the previous engine builder using the gun and not the method you told me about. Thanks for you're help and instructions for that, I'm really grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Hey John,
If your lights are still playing up, check the capacitor on the regulator/rectifier. The capacitor is supposed to smooth out all the "bumps" with the supply.

It is a 100V 2200 microfarad if you need to replace...Jaycar may have them.

Thanks lookfar! It does still seem to be dimming etc so I'll give dicksmiths etc a look for a replacement capacitor and give it a go.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #72
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Staintune baffle

Also, I am looking for a baffle for my Staintune pipe on the XR. Didn't come with one, and it's just a bit too loud for me...

I know that lots of people take the baffles out so if you have one lying around for an XR600, shoot me a PM and we might be able to work something out.

Thanks,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #73
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

That is good news, even this old crank I got from a mid eighties 600 sitting in the dust at the wreckers with a worn big end runs dead true in the v blocks, you can't see the needle deflecting at all and even though it rod knocks to buggery is very smooth, it got me to the cape for the OCR.
Got a new rod here for it when I get back from the next ride.

Also, Staintune have 2 types of baffle, I find the spark arrester type a lot quieter but better for power, they sell them seperately.

Quote:
Hey Ken, just letting you know that the significant vibration I experienced before the rebuild has disappeared now. Could've been due to the dodgy big end, but could've also been due to the previous engine builder using the gun and not the method you told me about. Thanks for you're help and instructions for that, I'm really grateful!

Thanks lookfar! It does still seem to be dimming etc so I'll give dicksmiths etc a look for a replacement capacitor and give it a go.

Cheers,

John

Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #74
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Head mods.

Any one ever shaved the head of a piggy? (WTF?) Most compression talk is in relation to the piston dictating the final CR, no one seems to take meat from the head like most other engines? Valves just run too close clearance maybe????????????

Roost.
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #75
Kenno OP
Studly Adventurer

I imagine the only reason to mill the head or barrel would be so that you can use the stock cast piston for longer life with added torque but with aftermarket pistons you can change it around like i did by putting the xr600 piston in the xr650L and getting just the right amount of torque increase without going crazy, if it is not right change it around to something different.
Milling the height down would retard cam timing a touch but should be ok if not milling too far because of the cam chain slider.
Best advice for this kind of thing would be cyclewizard(ADV inmate) in the U.S.
I reckon the best performance mod for an xr600 is usually a new stock piston, hone and set of rings, they breathe fire for a few thousand K after that and give blistering performance up to 130kph which is plenty for trail riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Any one ever shaved the head of a piggy? (WTF?) Most compression talk is in relation to the piston dictating the final CR, no one seems to take meat from the head like most other engines? Valves just run too close clearance maybe????????????

Roost.