Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #91
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,016
I have 14/48 gearing (enduro) on my XR600, so top speed is down (I never need to do 140+ anyway ).

When I am riding alone, backroads with no traffic, I tend to sit on anything from 70 to 90 kph, prolly average 80 to 85. It is very relaxing, and leaves more time for braking/dodging skippies when things go weird.

In traffic I try and keep up, 100kph is easy. The lower gearing adds a lot of punch to the throttle response too.

Either way, it returns in excess of 20k/litre. 21 to 22 is normal.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #92
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
If anyone still has the original seat cover for an '88 XR6, does it have a rear logo????
Given you're going to such trouble to restore the old girl I thought you may be interested in this article from ADB issue 100, Dec 1987/Jan 1988:

photo HondaXR600P1001.jpg

photo HondaXR600P2002.jpg

photo HondaXR600P3003.jpg

photo HondaXR600P4004.jpg

photo HondaXR600P5005.jpg

photo HondaXR600P6006.jpg

photo HondaXR600P7007.jpg
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #93
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I have 14/48 gearing (enduro) on my XR600, so top speed is down (I never need to do 140+ anyway ).

When I am riding alone, backroads with no traffic, I tend to sit on anything from 70 to 90 kph, prolly average 80 to 85. It is very relaxing, and leaves more time for braking/dodging skippies when things go weird.

In traffic I try and keep up, 100kph is easy. The lower gearing adds a lot of punch to the throttle response too.

Either way, it returns in excess of 20k/litre. 21 to 22 is normal.
With the mods I've done you can take chunks off the rear sprocket. I could easily drop another 2-3 teeth and prob notice no change in first gear.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #94
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Thanks for those scans Rus, great read.

I didn't know there was that much difference between the early XR6's and the later models. I mean I knew the dual carbs went to single carb but I didn't know that the later models lost 2L of fuel due to a redesigned tank and seat. That's a fair bit of difference, 20% more than what the later models hold! Also interesting that they mention that they were 'king of the trial bikes' not a racer...I've always had the impression that the XR was used to great success in hardcore enduro races and stuff?? I know Scott Summers in the US used it in woods competition, so I also assumed that people were using/winning desert comps on it, like the XR650R did.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #95
GodSilla
I did that.

Hi Captain, the XR was released as a race bike, but in typical Japanese style it needed the suspension reworking to make it competitive.
Out of the box, when still fresh, they were a goood clubman race bike, but if you wanted to compete in National series and be competitive you had to spend money on the suspenders.
That's where the Euro bikes had the advantage, they had quality suspension out of the box, and handled really well. The XR's however would finish every time, which some of the Euros struggled with in those days.
I have raced mine (as a clubman), and it is good fun, as long as you aren't expecting any trophies. You just need to grab 'em by the scruff and show them who'se boss, and they will go wherever you are game to point them. And they get heavier to pick up as the day wears on.........

We're lucky here they come registerable, the yanks mostly get them unplateable and they are competition only in most states of the USA.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #96
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Also interesting that they mention that they were 'king of the trial bikes' not a racer...I've always had the impression that the XR was used to great success in hardcore enduro races and stuff?? I know Scott Summers in the US used it in woods competition, so I also assumed that people were using/winning desert comps on it, like the XR650R did.
The boys at ADB throughout the 80s were very Enduro focussed. From memory both Geoff Eldridge & Murray Watt were riding 125 two strokes, Geoff a KTM & Muz a Husky, and at an elite level including ISDEs, riding alongside such talent as Phil Lovett & Geoff Ballard. Those were the hey days of the two stroke, enjoying a power to weight ratio the air cooled 4 bangers couldnt get close to, so that provides the context for their testing.

They really didn't regard any four stroke as being a proper Enduro race bike, believing they were simply too heavy, slow & generally under-suspended in comparison to their European two strokes, which was no doubt true. They did, however, begin to warm to them as being good trail bikes that enjoyed some on road manners to boot.

I'm unsure how the XR600s fared in competition outside Enduros, but believe they did well in more open events like the Wynns Safari. It's a real shame they're not still available as they and their 400 little brother were excellent real world machines for the average punter.
Rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 AM   #97
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Thanks for the replies guys, paints a better picture of where the XR sat in the grand scheme of things. I hadn't even really thought about the two strokes, but it is interesting that the journalists were comparing them against the XR.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #98
empiredownhc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
New XR owner: Sydney

G'day guys,

I've recently purchased a 91 XR600 and thought this would be the best place to first post up!

I've had a fair few different trailies over the years but plans for this one will be a 'do it all' adventurer, trailie, commuter etc.

Its currently got a 21L Acerbis tank (unsure of exact capacity), full staintune system, and a myriad of worn out but still working parts!

I'm looking forward to fixing her up and getting her back into the prime state I'm sure she once was in.

I'm open to all advice and keen to hear from other XR owners around Sydney.

Cheers
Scott.
empiredownhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #99
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by empiredownhc View Post
G'day guys,

I've recently purchased a 91 XR600 and thought this would be the best place to first post up!

I've had a fair few different trailies over the years but plans for this one will be a 'do it all' adventurer, trailie, commuter etc.

Its currently got a 21L Acerbis tank (unsure of exact capacity), full staintune system, and a myriad of worn out but still working parts!

I'm looking forward to fixing her up and getting her back into the prime state I'm sure she once was in.

I'm open to all advice and keen to hear from other XR owners around Sydney.

Cheers
Scott.
Interesting seat cover......
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #100
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Vicco XR,s....

How many people keen for a Vicco day ride in the near future? Healesville, WP, Terrible, Eildon loop? OR any other suggestions ???? GO THE XR... BRAAAAP !!!

(got the flat slide in just gotta tune it to start better!)
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #101
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
How many people keen for a Vicco day ride in the near future? Healesville, WP, Terrible, Eildon loop? OR any other suggestions ???? GO THE XR... BRAAAAP !!!

(got the flat slide in just gotta tune it to start better!)
Yeap I'm up. Maybe even an overnight at jamo pub.

Look back at ride reports for a high country ride we did on April 18. Was awesome.

Need to wait for snow melt now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #102
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
How about 4-500 clicks one way, o night, return Melb ? {Perhaps Jamo too close to Melb for overnighter?

RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #103
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,161
tech question- side stand

soft spot on XR's seem to be the side stand- frame starts cracking etc.

any ingenious ideas on how to solve this problem (apart from just trying to weld up the frame or take off the sidestand)

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #104
GodSilla
I did that.

Thumb

Hi Squily, my sidestand tore right out of the frame and left a rather nasty looking hole. I got a local bloke to weld it up again and then properly reinforce it, no trouble since at all. I also stopped kickstarting it on the sidestand, which leads to the original problem.
The bloke I used does fabrication and welding for a former national championship rally team, so he's pretty good at what he does eh.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #105
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
I also stopped kickstarting it on the sidestand, which leads to the original problem.

I can't comment for whoever had the bike before me, but I've never started the bike on the sidestand (knowing XRs have this problem).

That said- suffered the same fate as you after about three years. by the time I realised it (bike fell over by itself one day), the hole was there. Had it welded twice: always seem to crack as a result of the vibration. And did it myself the 3rd time and took off the sidestand completely- using trees now .

Seems I'd have to strip the whole bike to get in thoroughly, because just welding it from the bottom/side, is very difficult to get in everywhere and proper (did I mention I'm a lazy shite). And I think once it's cracked, you also have the wee problem of rusting from the inside.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote