User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,799
Got my first vintage motorcycle. 1977 KE100

I have been looking for something like this for a while and my work is cut out for me.

Most electrical does not work.

Leaks oil from injection pump.

Does not hold idle.

Clutch seems to be slow to disengage which makes the tranny a bit of a laggard.

Pics to follow tomorrow.

The intent is to get the engine functioning properly and then go cafe or do more modern running gear.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Picture time

I am about to go on vacation so it is not going to see much action for a little while(couple weeks).

I took the oil pump and carb covers off just to have a look and the oil pump does leak and I see the line going from pump to engine case has lost it's oil.

First thing when I get back will e getting a replacement pump so she doesn't go belly up!

Just looking at the forks, there are threaded bosses for what I assume is a low mount fender. That would make adding a front fender a lot easier.

Personally, I am a fan of modern/safer tech like disc brakes.

Anyone have any ideas of a front end with a disc brake that would be an easy swap? Maybe Honda Rebel 250 or Kawasaki Eliminator 125?

Would love a chrome rear fender to replace the dirt style fender.

Anyone know of the best place to find info for the bikes?

I am not a fan of yahoo groups and I haven't seen a dedicated forum.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
the big issue with front end swaps on the KEs is that the fork stanchions are only 30 mm... i have been working on a disk conversion from a late 80s kx80, but even that will need a different triple set. as for the oil pump, they rarely go bad, but go out of adjustment, and the oil leaking may just be a loose banjo bolt...

that said, the brakes arent too terribly bad, as the bike is real light, so the drums arent too shabby for stopping power... my motivation is more from a wanting to make a supermoto ke, LOL and the kx80 has a 17 front, to match the 17"rear on my 01...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

The plan is a full front end swap including new triples. The Honda Rebel 250 front even has the rubber damped risers so it should cut down on vibes too.

The oil pump, I am not sure where it leaks from. The shaft that the throttle cable connects to has a lot of play.

Where is the best resource for KE100 info?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The plan is a full front end swap including new triples. The Honda Rebel 250 front even has the rubber damped risers so it should cut down on vibes too.

The oil pump, I am not sure where it leaks from. The shaft that the throttle cable connects to has a lot of play.

Where is the best resource for KE100 info?
Theres not really a great place for quick info, but so far the best i have come across is a yahoo group for KE owners of all the displacements...

As for the triple swap, i was looking into that but everything gets more difficult if the steer tube isnt the right length, or the bearings arent right, or even the diameter of the steertube in general....LOL not trying to discourage ya in the swap, as i would love to see it done, just trying to let you know the things i found out so far, as said i would love to see it done....LOL maybe someday i will finish figuring out my kx forks....would be nice to have the extra travel offroad...although even in stock form its surprisingly capable offroad... I stunned some quad riders with keeping up with them with a 1/4 the displacement....LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

I am not sure of the M.O. for the bike as of yet. I still wouldn't mind having it as the intended dual sport.

As far as the front end conversion, it is a lot simpler than you might think, especially on an old bike like this that has plenty of tank clearance and no steering lock.

I have not done measurements yet but as long as the steering stem is not too large for the frame head then the sky is the limit for triples.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I am not sure of the M.O. for the bike as of yet. I still wouldn't mind having it as the intended dual sport.

As far as the front end conversion, it is a lot simpler than you might think, especially on an old bike like this that has plenty of tank clearance and no steering lock.

I have not done measurements yet but as long as the steering stem is not too large for the frame head then the sky is the limit for triples.
Theres a bit more that goes into it like the length of the threading for the bearing nut and so forth, and the tapered vs roller bearings, but yeah it shouldnt be too hard... worst case you knock out the races for whatever you have anf swap em out of the frames head tube...My ke has a steering lock, but it doesnt lock...LOL i can only get it to turn half way....LOL

My other worry would be too modern of a fork will need substantial lowering to make the geometry stay close to factory...LOL you cant throw a 12" travel fork in place of a 5" and expect it to stay the same geo....LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

A modern playbike fork would be great with similar dimensions.

I like the idea of rubber mounted bar risers to cut down on mirror vibration.

Also thinking about a modern digital dash negating the use of the stock idiot lights and speedo.

Koso has some nice options and then there is also Trailtech options that have provisions for the magnet pick up on wheel/fork.

So many options. A matter of how much $ is apportioned to the build.

Can the transmission be swapped for the 1-n-2-3-4-5?

The n-1-2-3-4-5 is annoying when coming to a stop when the neutral light does not work.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

I went the trailtech route on my ke....LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hz...e_gdata_player
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

As for the trans, i THINK the shift drum is all that changed the pattern, and i THINK they are interchangeable... Not sure though, also might need different shift forks for the drum as well....
Old 06-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I put a front end from a 74 kx125 on a 73 KE frame. Straight bolt up. Later bought a taperbearing kit for the KX forks. Straight bolt up. I think a lot of the bikes form the era would also swap. I cant think of any with disks.

What I got was better forks with a few inches more travel. A 21" wheel. Transformed the bike. Not exactly what info your after, but its info.

Trailtech has a 12v regulator for like $20 to convert your lights. They also have a rectifier for like $120 for a full 12v conversion. I haven't done this...yet.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Do you guys think I should just spring for the new oil pump?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you guys think I should just spring for the new oil pump?
just because theres air in the line doesnt mean it doesnt work...LOL that could be from just sitting for a long time... throw some 32:1 in the tank and disconnect the hose going to the case, reprime the pump by running it on the premix and holding the lever on the oil pump wide open. if oil comes out its fine...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
just because theres air in the line doesnt mean it doesnt work...LOL that could be from just sitting for a long time... throw some 32:1 in the tank and disconnect the hose going to the case, reprime the pump by running it on the premix and holding the lever on the oil pump wide open. if oil comes out its fine...
It leaks from the oil pump. The shaft that the throttle cable connects to has a lot of play and I have tightened up all screws in the pump to rule out one of them being loose.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

if the pump shaft itself is loose i would go for a new unit then....