Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,800
Now that I am back in town the bike is getting some attention.

The first thing I plan on doing is replacing all of the lines for fuel and oil.

Second is replacing throttle and brake cables. The throttle is at max adjustment, and to line the oil pump up, it is at max adjustment too.

I can't find a negative wire for the battery. Is it a matter of just getting a wire to the frame that will connect to the battery?

Any thoughts on an LED set of signals and brake light and modern battery that is sealed?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
For the ground wire, yes just a wire to the frame should be sufficient, as for the oil lines they may not be easy to find or cheap....might be able to find them easier for a ke100 than for my f11 though... The LED blinkers may need resistors or a different relay, as the load from leds is significantly lower, and the relay is load based...if i have a bulb out on my 100, it will not blink at all on that side...battery doesnt really make a difference sealed or not in my opinion....just so long as you uave a decent one there is about all that matters...LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
For the ground wire, yes just a wire to the frame should be sufficient, as for the oil lines they may not be easy to find or cheap....might be able to find them easier for a ke100 than for my f11 though... The LED blinkers may need resistors or a different relay, as the load from leds is significantly lower, and the relay is load based...if i have a bulb out on my 100, it will not blink at all on that side...battery doesnt really make a difference sealed or not in my opinion....just so long as you uave a decent one there is about all that matters...LOL
The oil line is not something I can get at an auto parts store?

Also, the rubber grommet that the oil line goes through is not perfectly round and most likely causes an air leak, right?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The oil line is not something I can get at an auto parts store?

Also, the rubber grommet that the oil line goes through is not perfectly round and most likely causes an air leak, right?
The OEM oil lines were originally made in one piece of a hard plastic tubing IIRC. If you can get the right size hose from a small engine shop, such as that used on chainsaws, trimmers, etc, and attach it to the banjo fittings from the original lies, that should work.

You can always seal the grommet with a bit of gasket sealer or maybe some silicone. If the grommet is hard try putting it in some hot water to soften it up some.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
The OEM oil lines were originally made in one piece of a hard plastic tubing IIRC. If you can get the right size hose from a small engine shop, such as that used on chainsaws, trimmers, etc, and attach it to the banjo fittings from the original lies, that should work.

You can always seal the grommet with a bit of gasket sealer or maybe some silicone. If the grommet is hard try putting it in some hot water to soften it up some.
Good ideas. I will implement them.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #21
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

When you try and remove the old hose from the banjo fitting, it seems that the fittings are somewhat brittle (atleast they were on mine, i accidentally bumped one on the f11 and the fitting cracked right off...) other than that i see noreason why you couldnt swap the hoses out...
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

One thing I forgot to add about my working on the bike today was the transmission oil. When I initially rode the bike home it started shifting very poorly. Missing 4th gear and having a tough time going back to neutral from first.

I removed the screw for maximum oil level, stood the bike up vertical and it poured out for some time. Once it was at proper level I put it back together and lubed the cables and adjusted for proper slack. Shifting now functions good and the bike is not bogging so much due presumably to less oil drag. A full transmission oil change is in the cards once I delve further in.

Is there a direct swap with electronic ignition that replaces the points? I thought I read the last few years gave up points for a maintenance free electronic unit.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
One thing I forgot to add about my working on the bike today was the transmission oil. When I initially rode the bike home it started shifting very poorly. Missing 4th gear and having a tough time going back to neutral from first.

I removed the screw for maximum oil level, stood the bike up vertical and it poured out for some time. Once it was at proper level I put it back together and lubed the cables and adjusted for proper slack. Shifting now functions good and the bike is not bogging so much due presumably to less oil drag. A full transmission oil change is in the cards once I delve further in.

Is there a direct swap with electronic ignition that replaces the points? I thought I read the last few years gave up points for a maintenance free electronic unit.
I believe that the cdi ignitions started somewhere in the mid 80s, i would think if you bought the whole stator plate off ebay, it would bolt right up... But im not positive about that, plugs may not be compatible (if youre handy with a crimper and bullet connectors thats not an issue...i can give you a schematic as well, i have the factory service manual) and yes, these trans are finicky about the oil level....do you recall the color of the oil? When i drained mine last it showed me a crapload of clutch disk material....the oil was downright blue....LOL then the clutch slip issues i had were all making sense...shortly after i swapped out my clutch pack and springs...springs were shot...well out of spec...
Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #24
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

The oil was normal honey/golden color. Seemed kind of thick like gear oil. I will be putting some high quality 10-40 next.

Someone took the rear brake arm and mounted it below swing arm so it binds some.

So many little things on the bike need addressing but it's in good enough shape that it's worth doing.

I wouldn't mind making it a little quieter. It's pretty loud. Pretty sure the baffle is MIA.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

I went out for a ride on the bike tonight. Just a brief run around the block to the gas station. With the oil pump not working I had splashed some of my Aprilia 2 stroke oil in the tank mixed it up by shaking the bike. I think I put too much in as the bike was smoking some(synthetic non-smoke TTS RS) and was bogging. Not even sure what is in the gas tank now and only know that it got me home when I bought the bike.

I splashed in some fresh gas to the tune of a 1/5 gallon. Started the bike and it ran good. Wasn't having as difficult a time on the low end.

The only hold up with the bike is that my other bike is still in the shop after two months of warranty disaster and I haven't taken the new title by the DMV to make sure it is all clear.

It is a California title and I am afraid the last owner probably abandoned the project because of a title issue. That and his abysmal wrenching skills.

The bike is a lot faster with proper tranny oil level and fresh gas. I can't wait to really get moving on this... if that title is clear. If not, there will be some KE 100 parts for sale!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Took the title to DMV finally and found I need two bills of sale. Tomorrow will be the challenge to secure the most important one.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Looks like this project is going the way of the part out. It has been passed around like a ball at recess and the detective works for multiple bills of sale is too much for a few hundred dollar bike.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Wow... Thats wierd, in IL i dont even need a bill of sale, all thry need is the signed title...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

I have a signed title which was for the bike going to a donation facility. Later it was sold to another party but given the same title now with a stamp from donation organization. It has been sold more than once since then and was signed one more time by someone I have no idea who they are.

Too confusing to waste excess time on.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #30
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

I will be taking the title to the DMV one more time before calling it quits.

For fun I take it out at night around the back streets. The bike doesn't even idle off of the choke which a pilot jet, carb clean, and air leak test, float level check should remedy.

The more it is ridden the better it runs. Went and put some more fresh gas and premixed at around 40:1. Runs good.

If the title is a no go I may seek out another of these but a little newer with cdi.