User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Ok. Packed and ready to go.

Since these photos, I've centered the duffle and added two more tie downs.

Running OEM tires until Anchorage where I'll be swapping on to knobbies.

I leave Tuesday night to start my 11k+ journey.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #17
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
73Datsun- good luck on your Adventure....keep us posted along the way. Great looking dog!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
touratech bar risers

Following your adventure..Good luck and waiting pictures....

Question about bar risers.....Which ones do you have? Is it require to get new brake hose, cables, etc?

I have the same bike with apple red...planning from Atlanta to Canada trip for late August...
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

20mm Touratech. No need for rerouting or longer cables. They worked out pretty well for me, thus far.

The "good" photos will be about a month out as I didn't bring a laptop.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Nice work! Do you have any sound clips of your Two Brothers exhaust?
Pete7874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #21
Turk34
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
20mm Touratech. No need for rerouting or longer cables. They worked out pretty well for me, thus far.

The "good" photos will be about a month out as I didn't bring a laptop.
Thanks a lot......Safe trip.....
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't. And I'm on Satellite wifi that's painfully slow.

Search F800 GS and 2 brothers on YouTube, if remembering correctly, there's a great reference.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
nzmike
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So glad I found this thread - I took delivery of a silver F700 last saturday morning and spent the weekend doing about 700km (400m?) around New South Wales and absolutely loved it apart from the fact I stalled it at least 10 or 15 times.... so I'll definitely just try adjusting the reach. I'd really decided it was just a light clutch and I'd learn to live with it but it does seem I have some choices. Fitting the 16 tooth sprocket sounds like an option too it I'd have to get the dealer to do that so that will be a last resort. If the reach doesn't help I'll try the Pazzo or other custom lever.

Unfortunately I did drop mine but luckily I was stationary, just trying to do a u-turn on a very narrow road and my foot slipped on gravel and over she went. Luckily I only broke a front brake lever and scuffed the bar cap - but I've realised I need to get fitter and build up some better strength as I'm finding it bit hard to manoeuvre at low speed or just pushing it around. It probably does n't help I'm vertically challenged as well (168cm or 5ft 7in) and I got the comfort seat instead of the low seat which doesn't help much either- think its just a little high for me. Think I'm going to adjust the forks to take an inch or so out and see if it makes it a bit easier... not sure how that will affect the ride or the ESA but its worth a try. The dealer also said they could take a link out of the rear suspension so might look at that too.

Amazing bike though, just loving how planted and confidence-inspiring it feels!

I'm going to get the SC projects slipon as it looks brilliant and sounds just as good. They're not well known but I have friends who put them on and they look wicked. Less than half the price of the Akrapovic but just as good looking/sounding.

Anyway, your trip sounds amazing - have a great time and ride carefully! And be sure to tell us when you've posted photos somewhere!
nzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #24
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah us short legged folk have issues. The comfort seat isnt helping you out, either. But it's a must. The stock seat can die in a fire.

If I was to do it all over, I'd probably get a 1200GS and drop it an inch or two.

But the 700 is a great all arounder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-24-2013, 03:48 AM   #25
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmike View Post

I'm going to get the SC projects slipon as it looks brilliant and sounds just as good. They're not well known but I have friends who put them on and they look wicked. Less than half the price of the Akrapovic but just as good looking/sounding.
Are SC projects available in Oz? I'm looking for a slip on too and was thinking of one of these that start at around $400 and $20 shipping to Oz.
http://www.gpr.it/prodotti.htm?idTip...to&text=&page=
Cheers
Mark
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #26
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
Yeah us short legged folk have issues. The comfort seat isnt helping you out, either. But it's a must. The stock seat can die in a fire.
Funny you say that. I'm 5'7" as well, and considering a lowered F700GS with the factory low seat, which possibly gives even less comfort. Alas, if I end up putting an airhawk on top of it, it probably matters very little what's beneath it.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Turk34
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Funny you say that. I'm 5'7" as well, and considering a lowered F700GS with the factory low seat, which possibly gives even less comfort. Alas, if I end up putting an airhawk on top of it, it probably matters very little what's beneath it.
Pete7874 : I am 5'7" too. I am comfortable with comfort seat. Especially with pillion, I have no issues at all.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
JessieRat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Hi Pete!

I am 5'4". I could flat-foot the low chassis F700 barefoot. That's great for riding around town, but I was advised that if I wanted to go off road I should go with the highest chassis I could handle. So I tried to get a regular chassis with a low seat, but when I went to pick the bike up three days ago, I ended up with a regular chassis, regular seat. I haven't dropped it yet (lucky me!) but it is still too tall. I have the pre-load on the suspension as low as it will go. The crash bars are supposed to show up day after tomorrow. Hopefully I will have them installed before any mishaps!

The factory low seat is almost as comfortable as a 2x4. Had I gotten a low seat, I had planned to send it to http://www.bikes2nv.com/ and have them insert a medical grade gel pad in it for about $180. They would use the same cover, and it would not effect the height nor shape of the seat.

Bikes2NV said they would cut the foam out of my regular seat, reshape it and insert a gel pad for about $220. If they could not re-use the same cover (due to the change in size and shape of the seat) then the price would go up, depending on what cover fabric I chose. I will let you know how it turns out.

My experience is that Airhawks and other add-on seat pads make the seat taller again, defeating the purpose of having a low-seat in the first place.

I'm interested to hear what you end up choosing. Good luck!

~Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away~
JessieRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That actually sounds like a good option. I really don't like their pimp shoe material. But if they could redo it with the OEM, that's certainly a consideration.

I really am not a fan of the Airhawk. It was just a necessity to get me home.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #30
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieRat View Post
The factory low seat is almost as comfortable as a 2x4. Had I gotten a low seat, I had planned to send it to http://www.bikes2nv.com/ and have them insert a medical grade gel pad in it for about $180. They would use the same cover, and it would not effect the height nor shape of the seat.
Thanks! So far I've only ridden on the factory low seat for about 30 mins at a time and it was fine, alas, I can see how much longer than that would be a PITA (literally).

The mod you mention sounds interesting, although I am always worried that they'll mess up the shape of the seat and it'll look like poop. BTW, another company that specializes in seat mods is http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php They are very popular in the cruiser market. I'm not sure if they do other seats, too, but I would think so. I just sent them an email actually.

Pete7874 screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:06 AM