User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 282
Cry Battery or alternator on '95 K1100LT

Last week, I ran by new battery out by forgetting my key in the bike, lights and everything else on. Tried to roll start her. Nope. Trickle charged at deep cycle, 2AMP, and no real take in the time I had.

Tried to jump using the trickle charger when I ran out of time using the 55AMP jump setting. No go, but regretted doing it.

It's not nothing, it's the grunt of a starter. A lame grunt. Afraid I fried something using the jump mode.

Next day, trickled it on 2A normal and it got some charge.

Called Khanh Nguyen at EUBMW for some help. He's a new dad! A 2nd boy! Mazel tov! He said I didn't do anything wrong and an overnight at 2AMP trickle should make it all right.

The building manager told me I needed to move the bike. Folks pushed me and I got started. Rode 80MPH+ around 495 for around 45 minutes (Columbia Pike to 395S to 495 inner loop to GW Parkway, got hope, parked, tried starting her.

Same lame starter grind, it feels like she didn't take any charge.

Wondering if I fried anything (I didn't jump with a car) or if the battery is shot or if I did something else stupid.

In the perfect world, I would just need a new battery (even though this one is only months old).

Any advice? Any insight?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
It takes a long time (at least 24 hrs) to trickle-charge a completely dead battery to full charge. A deeply discharged battery may never come back because of cell reversal. Once your battery is charged, a good battery shop can do a loaded test on it and tell you if it's OK. If you suspect a charging problem, measure the charging voltage at the battery while the engine runs. At 2000rpm you should see at least 14 volts and not more than 15V.

strongbad screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 09:39 AM
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Your battery might be shot. Glad you only charged on trickle, but the initial deep discharge may have killed it.
Most m/c chargers put out 1.25A on full charge and the trickle charge is 750mA or less.

Step one--buy a new battery.
Step two--buy a motorcycle battery charger. A lot of them come with a handy harness that you can hook up to the terminals for easier charging.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
It takes a long time (at least 24 hrs) to trickle-charge a completely dead battery to full charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
A deeply discharged battery may never come back because of cell reversal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Step one--buy a new battery.
Step two--buy a motorcycle battery charger. A lot of them come with a handy harness that you can hook up to the terminals for easier charging.
I am going to follow your advice. I part in an outdoor lot for now. Anyone have any advice on a solar charger? Once I can leave on the bike as battery maintenance? Maybe glue/epoxy/screw it to top of the OEM top box (or is that a bad idea?).

Thanks, everyone.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
MauiCowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Some "smart" trickle chargers will not work on a deeply discharged battery. I know that Battery Tender Juniors won't. (Both from their documentation and personal experience.)
Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM   #6
CrashBar
Just Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 131
I've got 15 years and 100K miles experience with a 93 K1100LT. Anytime I left the lights on and ran the battery dead I ended up replacing it - weak charging and other odd behavior (like the clock resetting to 00:00 when starting on a cold morning). I switched to an Oddessy 3 years ago and have had much better luck. Plus I stopped leaving the darn thing on....

Also, make sure your ground strap (in the area just behind the coils) is making good contact.

Swapping out the alternator is not that big of a deal (less of a deal than changing the air filter !) if it comes to that.

1993 K1100 LT (132,000 miles and counting)
1973 CB350F / 1978 CB550K / 1973 TR5T
CrashBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #7
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

She started up right away this morning. Rode down to EUBMW anyway. Khanh checked and the battery is at 60%. Will replace it and get an oil change in a couple weeks. Weird. I'm grateful though. Replaced my brake light. All's well.
Old Today, 10:56 AM   #8
Dooga OP
Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashBar View Post
I switched to an Oddessy 3 years ago and have had much better luck.
What's special about an Oddessy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashBar View Post
Plus I stopped leaving the darn thing on.....
Yes, I know, I know. Easier said than bloody done. Yikes! Next time, someone'll steal her.
Old Today, 05:12 PM   #9
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
...Anyone have any advice on a solar charger? Once I can leave on the bike as battery maintenance? Maybe glue/epoxy/screw it to top of the OEM top box (or is that a bad idea?)...
Some general aviation pilots do this. If a pilot leaves his plane on the tarmac for weeks at a time, and if the solar charger is specifically made to charge lead-acid batteries (Important!), it's not a bad idea. For bikes, though, I don't think its very practical. The panel would be vulnerable to wind and theft and shade. You don't need to keep a charge on the battery unless you're not running the bike for many days at a time.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:20 PM   #10
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
What's special about an Oddessy?
when recovering from dead .. after voltage recovers to normal range charging at .1C .. charge at .5C until battery reaches about 80% state of charge, then AGM should be in absorption mode until it reaches full charge. C = AH

resting voltage after a full charge and sitting overnight should be 12.65v to 12.85v range fully charged. measure charging voltages at idle and 3k rpm and post back.

posted this earlier today .. but it fits here too:

Odyssey is one of the finest AGM produced. yes they operate exactly like a conventional AGM. but there are some important advantages from using pure lead instead of a alloy of lead.

sulfuric acid will not etch into pure lead but will slowly etch into other metals contained within alloys of lead. PB mfg knows this and designs internal plates thicker to compensate. Odyssey are able to use thinner plates with pure lead. thinner plates means more surface area for same weight to deliver more amps.

there are some other important differences in internal construction on Odyssey. there's always a fine line between sustaining high charge rate and internal gas pressures. Odyssey are designed to be charged at about 105% of AGM charge rates during absorption stage. this produces higher pressures, which are compensated by a stiffer case.

there are more details .. but that gets into glazed eyeball territory. too much detail at one setting puts me to sleep zzzz

if you need a reliable motorcycle ... below are currently the top of the heap if $$ was not a consideration. if $$ is a consideration go with AGM if one is not willing to stuff the largest actual AH LiFePO4 that will fit into battery tray.

EarthX and Antigravity for LiFePO4 .. Odyssey for AGM. Deka deserves a mention for a quality AGM at a lower cost.

EarthX has the advantage with the most robust battery management system (BMS) with MOSFET disconnect for high/low voltages.
Antigravity has the advantage for the most robust construction without any BMS as a failure point.

Odyssey has the advantage of being able to recover back from dead better and designed to withstand higher charge rates.

_cy_ screwed with this post Today at 05:25 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote