User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Bmw K1200rs?

I asked this in another thread, but never got a reply (that I know of....)

I stopped at the Subaru dealer we buy all of our cars at and I happened to be on my RSV-R. The general manager came over to look at it and really liked it. He showed me some pics on his computer when we went inside and he had a K1200RS that he is intrested in getting rid of. It's blue with white and said RS on the fairings. I have never heard of the RS, so it begs the question, what is the differences with the S model?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
camfarm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
The K1200RS was the previous generation: flat 4 transverse mounted engine, "the brick" as in the current K-LT line. 1997-2004. Very smooth, innovative at the time. 97-01 models differ slightly in the plastics and some features. Heavy but very nice long distance sport tourer.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...00rs-1410.html

Great bikes, very reliable, and fast for their age. Decent tourers, and nice high speed runners. A little heavy in town, but moving you wont feel it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
yep, decent bikes, very quick, very smooth, a terrific triple digit tourer.

Lows: heavy, drink premium fuel like its going out of style, can be expensive when things go bad (they are known for an oil seal going bad near the clutch, ABS and FD failures aren't unheard of), if it has cruise control, make sure it works. There is a reason i no longer have mine.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,279
I had a 1997 K1200RS, I rode it for over 26,000 mi. before selling it to my friend who's better suited for it at 6'5", 220 lb. He's been riding it up and down the Eastcoast and to Houston, TX numerous times, currently has over 96,000 mi. I've done the blake fluid flush on ABS and change out the brake lines to stainless, yes, they were somewhat of a pain. Replaced the clutch at +60,000 mi. K1200RS are solid bikes.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,754
I had a '02 KRS for 3 years and around 30,000 miles. No issues at all. Top heavy at parking lot speeds, super stable at speeds. Corners well. Engine isn't fast reving, but lot's of pull.

I liked it.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
I rode my KRS all over the southwest and Rocky Mountain states and loved it. I later replaced it with a K12s and admit to missing the cruise control and riding position. If I had the money I'd get another one.....
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Below is a cut/paste of a post I made a year or so ago when a buddy asked about my 45K miles on one...

The short answer:
I loved it....Dawn and I even had the discussion the other day that she thinks I should get another one because I've never quite been happy with a bike since......

The somewhat longer answer comprised mostly of random thoughts:

If you draw an east-west line through Ohio, I've ridden it in every state on that line and south of the line. I rode it through Death valley at about 115 degrees on the same trip as crossing the Rockies in the snow. It carried me back and forth to Florida monthly to visit Dawn before we got married.

Power-wise, it was more than sufficient...Would it outrun a Busa?? No....Would it outrun damn near anything that it tried?? Yes....

Comfort-wise, factory electronic cruise control is a God-send. I needed to add a peg lowering kit to make mine comfortable for long stretches...

Fuel range wasn't bad, but wasn't great at about 200 miles....My buddy with a GT only ever got about 175.....

Preventative maintenance was costly, but you've already owned a beemer, so you know about that....

Problems?? I had the fuel quick disconnect issue where it starts spraying fuel out the side of the bike..."Fixed" under warranty when I had it (by fixed I mean replaced with the same shitty parts - I'd get the metal aftermarket ones and just be done with it)...Other than that, NO problems while I owned it....

When it had low 40K miles on it, the joint between the engine and tranny started seeping oil and the final drive started seeping too....It was a bummer as it had always been properly maintained....These two items are the reason I ultimately ended up trading it in on my DL650 I used to have....

Luggage - I used the system cases, a generic topcase, a big-mak tankbag, and a rear seat bag. I routinely would load it up with 200 lbs of luggage, tools, and foundry equipment parts and take it on service trips for my old job.

Rain handling was a non-issue. If you could see, the bike could handle it.

Metz Z6 tires were my best choice

K-bikes and i-bmw were the equivalent of ADVrider for those bikes

Pirate's Lair was THE place for accessories...and he even sends out a damn funny monthly newsletter.....

I did 3 official iron butt rides with it. The first one was to Deal's gap and back...21 hours - 1070 miles.....second one i rode from cincy to Salina, KS and back...1530 miles is 33 hours.....Third one was the hardest...1004 miles in 22 hours, but it was ALL in Ohio.....Had to make a lot of stops to document the corners....

Value: Would I buy another new one if they were still available?? HELL NO!!!! My $20K I had wrapped up in it and accessories took about a $13K hit after 45K miles and 2.5 years....(Which is a much higher percentage than I've ever lost on any other bike)....Would I buy a good used one?? HELL YES!!! At the price they go for now, they're a hell of a good bike...

When the dust finally settles from my move and works gets situated, I may look for another one myself and just have the DRZ as a secondary bike.....Though I do like the looks of the K1200S....

And now, a few pics so this post isn't useless.....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I put about 55k miles on my 2001. Bike still looked new the day I sold it. Really enjoyed mine. Rode all over west texas and a bit of new mexico. Used it as my daily commuter too. Amazed me how well it stuck in wet conditions. The ABS brakes were sweet. I think its the bike I'd just jump on and ride cross country with. Found it very reliable. I once had the fuel line quick disconnect leak ... factory recall. I also complained about play in the ball joint in front suspension and bmw swapped it out. I felt it was washing out a bit in turns. Dunno ... really enjoyed it. Lots of good memories.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,222
They seem to wear the front tire almost as fast as the rear.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
AIrey1507
Aspiring Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 88
There is also a K1200R sport. It is basically a slant-4 K1200R with a sport half-fairing
AIrey1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIrey1507
There is also a K1200R sport. It is basically a slant-4 K1200R with a sport half-fairing
Confusing, but that is a whole different bike than the older "Brick" four on the K1200RS.

K1200RS

K1200R Sport

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #13
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
My first beemer was a '04 K1200RS - the definitive "sport tourer" of its time. However, the two things I remember was how top heavy it felt in the twisties (compared to other bikes in its class) and how it would smoke like a mosquito fogger when you started it up after it had been sitting on the side stand.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
AIrey1507
Aspiring Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Confusing, but that is a whole different bike than the older "Brick" four on the K1200RS.

K1200RS

K1200R Sport

Jim
Right, I'm aware. I've just seen the K1200R Sport advertised as a K1200RS before, so they OP should be aware that that model exists as well. Although they are somewhat rare but pretty gorgeous imo.
AIrey1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Royal Tiger OP
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
Thanks everyone. It is definetly a K1200RS. It looks like the one a few posts above, but blue instead of black with the white.

The RS might not be what I'm looking for after reading the reviews. I'd still like a BMW and I found a 2002 R1150R. I'll start another thread on that, but here is a stock pic and I'd be intrested in any thoughts on that one in here, or the other thread.

Thanks again.
Attached Images