38 and 11/12
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #182
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
As I don't want to turn this into an ABS thread, I'll break this down very quickly.

Emergency braking is the safest maneuver in a rider's tool kit.

ABS can think and react much faster then any human. No amount of practice will match the effectiveness of a modern ABS system in unknown conditions.

Framing the discussion as "safety starts with the rider" is the wrong way to think about ABS, and it shows you clearly don't understand the technology. No one who is clamoring for ABS is advocating a reduction in rider training in any way shape or form so you are arguing with a bunch of ghosts about why ABS shouldn't matter.

People don't rely on ABS brakes for effective stopping any more then they "rely" on disc brakes being able to out brake drum brakes. Safety starts with the rider AND the motorcycle's capabilities. I don't want drum brakes on my 400 pound sport bike, and I don't want the omission of ABS, or tubeless tires, or any handful of other technologies in the last hundred years which have absolutely nothing to do with forfeiting rider training and make the experience of riding a motorcycle that much better (and yes, safer too).

The fact that people argue against ABS in this way in 2013 is mind blowing to me.

For not wanting to turn this into a ABS thread, you sure are doing a good job of doing just that.

The bike has what it has, ABS haters/lovers need to take it elsewhere.
PAULIBIKER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #183
CAW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
Triumph already did something like that 10 years ago with the Thunderbird Sport and I'd like to see a triple like that again too, would be a great all rounder. The CB1100 has gotten good reviews and appears to be selling well so maybe that will persuade other makers to try something similar....

Yes, those are two bikes I was thinking of. I think the 1100 I a half step I. The right direction. A more modern power plant would be great. The thunderbird has held my interest for a long time. Though even that could be improved upon. Why not modern construction. Usd forks - sure. Single sided Swingarm - why not. Not that it has to look like bikes of yore, but provide some of the best parts of their design - large tank, flat seat, etc. maybe it wouldn't sell, but its my fantasy. :-) ride on.
CAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #184
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
For not wanting to turn this into a ABS thread, you sure are doing a good job of doing just that.

The bike has what it has, ABS haters/lovers need to take it elsewhere.
Apologizes, there is about 14 years of frustration built up with Yamaha not offering this basic feature on their sport bikes in this country. I've always been interested in Yamaha sport motorcycles, especially the FZ8 and FZ1 series, and was hoping against hope that the new generation triples would finally introduce ABS to our shores in their sport bike range.

No such luck, and I am sorry for polluting this thread. I will exit stage left.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #185
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
For 7995 too?

As for a windshield, just hold your breath for a while and a Yami accessory one will show up that uses those 4 bolts on its forehead.
We know that will never happen. Price it in the range of the Triumph 800's and ya got a winner.

Regards, Paul
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #186
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Any modern 600cc sport bike will touch ~90mph in 2nd gear.

I fail to see how 850cc is considered small.

Fingers crossed the new R6 is a triple.
I didn't say it was small, I'm getting that it's usable/tractable. Unlike an R6.

Plus, mid-size nakeds sell in huge numbers in mainland Europe.

Even something as basic as the ER6n has sold 20,000+ units since launch.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #187
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
And...the Sport Touring version...the final step that Triumph refuses to take.

what the hell is this? an eggbeater?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #188
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days.
If you think this Yamaha or the similar power/weight Triumph street triple motors are just "sufficient" you have either never twisted a throttle on one or don't have a pulse. These are hooligan power bands which can reach illegal speeds in the blink of an eye.

Are we really are at the point where over 100hp in a 400 pound package is considered "sufficient" Any more power is wasted until highly illegal highway speeds over 100 MPH. Keep in mind they are naked bikes after all.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #189
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
This "Crossplane crank" business has NO business being mentioned with this bike. They say that, then state it has an "even firing order", which every triple should, right?
I see this lame shit printed on $5000 bicycles all day.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #190
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmoney View Post
This "Crossplane crank" business has NO business being mentioned with this bike.
I see this lame shit printed on $5000 bicycles all day.
Why not, If it's going to effect the way that the bike sounds. Triples already have a distinctive sound, if this one is going unique as well it absolutely bears relevance
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #191
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
If you think this Yamaha or the similar power/weight Triumph street triple motors are just "sufficient" you have either never twisted a throttle on one or don't have a pulse. These are hooligan power bands which can reach illegal speeds in the blink of an eye.

Are we really are at the point where over 100hp in a 400 pound package is considered "sufficient" Any more power is wasted until highly illegal highway speeds over 100 MPH. Keep in mind they are naked bikes after all.
I think this bike will have great flexibility/flickability. 188kg wet, and 100+bhp?

I think my old Versys was a claimed 185kg and 64bhp; and that bike could fly, in the upper part of the revs (admittedly, mine had a Power Commander and was fully set-up).
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #192
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Has anyone heard where this bike will be produced? I know Honda has been producing bikes in Thailand to help keep costs down, at this price point is Yamaha making it in Japan or elsewhere?
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #193
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
what the hell is this? an eggbeater?

Sorry, I wasn't clear, since I've been posting on several Triumph Threads. I've felt that the Triumph 675 motor is the best in their line-up since its inception. I want a Daytona 675, a Street Triple R, AND a Sprint 675. It is the Sprint 675 that Triumph refuses to build.

Yamaha refused to bring the Faser8 to the USA, leaving us with only the naked F8n. I live in Seattle, where rain and wind stongly favor at least a Sprint RS-style fairing, if not the full ST treatment. I know that lots of Inmates prefer nakeds, but I'm not one of them. I want a very high spec, middle displacement, light, nimble SPORT tourer. I know that I am in a very small minority. If Triumph won't build a Sprint 675, all Yamaha has to do to get my money is put a Faser (Sport touring) fairing on the new FZ-09 and they have 90% of what I want is a very nice package.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #194
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,849
?
Yamaha said all along this was the engine size 700-900cc
sorry there are plenty of bigger is better mentality mega bikes out there.
there are so many 1000+ cc bikes out there but much fewer smaller ones that the mfg are filling in that segment.
they are also working affordable angle as not everyone has big bucks to spend these days.
many of us want mid-weight for the solid power, lighter weight and better gas mileage.
go buy a b-king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I like the looks quite a bit.

I like the specs.

I like the style.

I DO NOT like this trend of smaller motors.

What about something that is a bit scary? Why about something that captures the imagination? What about something that that is lust inducing?

Bikes are being produced with "sufficient" motors these days. I certainly think that there is a place for smaller, fuel economy minded machines. I don't know how, or why anyone rides anything under 1000cc. I realize that is just my personal preference. I'm glad that others can enjoy that NC700 thing that Honda put out and all the other unoffensive, practical models out there.

I watched the "Dark Side" video that they put out a few weeks before the announcement of the bike, and it really got my hopes up. Then, they did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They went the very opposite of "dark". Safe...

I am still hoping that a 1200ish version of this motor comes out in a bike like this. But, the way it usually works is the beast comes first to capture the heart and emotions and imagination, then the smaller versions come later.

I'm not interested in "enough". That's not what riding is about for me. If it is for you, cool! I just wish that the manufacturers would put their balls out there a little bit and rember that this whole thing is about passion also.

I know that the bottom line has to be met, I own and operate two small businesses. But, this is a "nice little package". Where's the "dark"? I want the bike they led us to believe they were coming out with.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 01:19 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #195
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,849

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717