Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #451
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Is it just me that think this will be a 50/50 mix of TDM and a streetfighter?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #452
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Nope. Without a fairing, the chassis and suspension suggest its all streetfighter.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #453
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 855
Read somewhere that a half faired version should be next. Supposedly, that's what the four bolts are for that are above the headlight. Guess we'll see, as it is the next natural marketing step. tomp
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #454
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
The 400 was sold in Canada solely for graduated license/insurance purposes. But I agree with you about the sleeved down FZ1, no thanks.
I bought an FZ8 and it's plenty for me to play and have fun,it handles very good and although not the power of a 1000 it does everything I need it to do and the price was right 7200 otd new.The only thing I would like to have is damping adjust on the forks mine is a 2012 and I think they put that on the 2013.The 9 looks good and may have bought it if it was available when I bought mine but I'm happy.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #455
versysrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I am first on the list at two of my local dealers for an FZ-09. I can't believe how many people think that a Street Trip will be superior to the new FZ. The FZ comes in lighter than the 2012 S.T. and with 7-8hp,and more importantly, 12-15 ft.lbs. more torque at the wheel. The chassis will be great (might need a little suspension fettling), and it's also supposed to be slimmer between the knee's and feet than the S.T. Another thing I'm going to like better will be the seat that won't lock you into one position like the Street Trip's do. So all this and like $1,400 less than a non "R" model Street Trip. The FZ-09 is a no brainer.

Yamaha also has 26,600 mile valve adj. intervals, and will probably be more reliable.

Don't get me wrong I love Triumphs. I had 2 Street Triple R's at the same time, an '09 and an '11. Glad I sold the 2nd one a few months back as I believe they are now loosing value. The street trip was the best street bike I've ever owned. But at around 1,300 miles on the '11 I had to put on a manual cam chain tensioner to eliminate the chain rap against the case on startup, also a couple minor leaks on both bikes. Never had to replace the R/R, although on the '09 it got really hot. Ya, I know these issues aren't that big of a deal, but the FZ-09 is going to be such a great value/Dollar I can't pass it up (unless I like one of the other models for this platform better).

The only bad part of this will be that I just built a project bike over the winter that I really love, and I will probably sell, as I'll have two similar bikes, and I know which one will be sitting in the garage.

I'll take the one in grey, with the blue wheels, please (although I'd really love the purple MT-09). Hope I can replace those gawd awfull turn signals with the EU clear lens signals. And I really wish I could pay more and get abs (Hello Yamaha), and who needs switchable mapping (unless you had a fuel saving mode), on a 100hp, torque rich motor?

Thanks for waking up Yamaha, looking forward to seeing what else ya got. I'd like a Duc. Hypermotard competitor even more than the FZ-09. Hopefully they will release details on the other models before the FZ hits the showrooms, I might have to switch to a different model.

versysrider screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 07:46 PM
versysrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #456
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider View Post
I I can't believe how many people think that a Street Trip will be superior to the new FZ. The FZ comes in lighter than the 2012 S.T. and with 7-8hp,and more importantly, 12-15 ft.lbs. more torque at the wheel. The chassis will be great (might need a little suspension fettling), and it's also supposed to be slimmer between the knee's and feet than the S.T. Another thing I'm going to like better will be the seat that won't lock you into one position like the Street Trip's do. So all this and like $1,400 less than a non "R" model Street Trip. The FZ-09 is a no brainer.
At the moment its all conjecture & brochure racing. Once the bikes are ridden back to back we will know if the MT-09/FZ-09 delivers against the Street Triple. Its such a shame that the brochure launch is so far ahead of the actual launch & interested folk like us are whipping up a frenzy to fill the factual void.

Quote:
Yamaha also has 26,600 mile valve adj. intervals, and will probably be more reliable.
After owning more than one Yamaha that promised extended valve clearance intervals but needed valve adjustments well before the industry norm I would take that with a pinch of salt. My current & much loved Yamaha had all its inlet valves replaced at a milage not far north of 26,000 after they stretched beyond service limits. Wouldn't put me off owning as an early adopter another new model Yamaha, just a note of caution regarding paper perceptions.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #457
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Well, I pondered it a couple of days and bought a new 2013 Street Triple R today. I got it for $9,500, so figure it's a $1,500 premium over the FZ-09 (assuming they won't be discounting them out of the gate). Seems worth it for the upgraded suspension and brakes, ABS (switchable), a gallon bigger tank and a two year warranty. We'll see - sure runs nice.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #458
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFLHT View Post
Well, I pondered it a couple of days and bought a new 2013 Street Triple R today. I got it for $9,500, so figure it's a $1,500 premium over the FZ-09 (assuming they won't be discounting them out of the gate). Seems worth it for the upgraded suspension and brakes, ABS (switchable), a gallon bigger tank and a two year warranty. We'll see - sure runs nice.
Congrats, you won't have any regrets. Everyone is all worked up over this new Yammy and I too think it looks like a good bike and at a nice price point but Triumph knows how to make a triple and until this gets released into the wild it's all speculation as to its performance. I'm interested to see the reports once it is but you can't go wrong with a strumpet. I am a bit biased since I currently ride a Sprint but have also owned an 06 Speed Trip as well. They are not your Dad or your Grandpa's Triumphs that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #459
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

They should have used the cluster from MT06.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #460
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama67 View Post
i'll say it again.

When are the manufacturers going to realize that pretty much everyone hates digital tachs?
+1

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #461
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
At the moment its all conjecture & brochure racing. .

+1, I have high hopes for this bike and other variants but many times what makes one bike better or at least more enjoyable to ride than another isn't found in the specs.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #462
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Anyone who doesn't agree Yamaha is targeting Triumph with this platform is delusional. This is aimed squarely at the T800 roadie purchaser, and for good reason. The T800 is considered a strong success.
And unfortunately, that concept shares the T800's nose, in which the headlight looks like an afterthought and works miserably with the rest of the front end.

I still hope Yamaha makes a mini-FJR around this engine. That would pull me away from Kawi in a heartbeat.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #463
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
....After owning more than one Yamaha that promised extended valve clearance intervals but needed valve adjustments well before the industry norm I would take that with a pinch of salt. My current & much loved Yamaha had all its inlet valves replaced at a milage not far north of 26,000 after they stretched beyond service limits. Wouldn't put me off owning as an early adopter another new model Yamaha, just a note of caution regarding paper perceptions.
That's a very interesting comment. I can say that in all the years I've surfed forums I've never heard such a comment about a Yamaha, and never experienced it personally. Quite the opposite, which is amazing considering the length of valve adjustment intervals.

What year and model are you talking about? And what kind of riding do you do?
'88 FZR400
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #464
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMB View Post
That's a very interesting comment. I can say that in all the years I've surfed forums I've never heard such a comment about a Yamaha, and never experienced it personally. Quite the opposite, which is amazing considering the length of valve adjustment intervals.

What year and model are you talking about? And what kind of riding do you do?
I have direct experience with three different types of Yamaha 5 valve head bikes. In Oz for years the main benefit for the 5 valve cylinder bikes over their 4 valve cylinder competitors according to Yamaha marketing bumf has been extended valve clearance intervals of 42,000km or over double that of my Suzuki, Kawasaki & Hondas with 4 valve heads. As I enjoy maintenance I do my own valve clearance checks & checked my Yamahas on the same schedule as the other bikes & the Yamahas always needed reshimming every 20,0000km or so. Not to any greater extent than the other bikes, but enough to realise that 42,000km intervals are unwise.

The bike I needed to replace all the inlet valves on is a Yamaha TRX850 that I am the only owner of. The bike became hard to start from cold with a poor idle at 25,000km so I checked the valve clearances and all the inlets were tight enough to hold the inlets off the seats when cold, hence the hard starting. I reshimmed it and all was good. At 45,000km (yes the first check is due at 42,0000 but I had done the valves at 25,000Km) the same thing happened again. On checking the clearances Yamaha did not sell shims thin enough to reset the clearances so off came the head, thinking I had valve set recession but no the inlet valve stems had elongated - much cheaper fix. Even with the new inlet valves I check the clearances every 20,000km and usually need to adjust some shims each time. The bike now has 140,000 km on it so close to 100,000 on the new valves but now cam journal wear in the head is an issue, possibly fatal (for the bike!). The TRX is actually Yamahas first crossplane crank engine, being a parallel twin with 270 deg offset crank- pins to give a firing order the same as a 90 deg twin. The TRX was a niche model, but the engine was used in the 1996 on TDM850 which sold by the boatload in europe so if you want to confirm TRX/TDM top end problems do a web search. In spite of all that the TRX is a fantastic bike to ride & I have no regrets buying it.

With regards to riding style I am a sporting road rider, but all my bikes are well maintained & ridden in the same style. The TRX has done a few track days but not anywhere as many as my GS500 Suzuki, which in spite of having only 2 valves per cylinder, heavier valves & a higher rev limit has only had ONE SHIM changed in 120,000Km!

You may note that Yamaha have moved away from the 5 valve-head a its supposed advantages only ever appeared on paper, The FZ-01 & SuperTen the only bikes left now the TDM900 has got the axe. Even the R-1 & FZ-08 replaced their 5 valve heads with 4 valve heads on the same blocks. Excessive oil consumption & top end troubles dogged the design from the FZ750 on, so I am happy the Mt-09/Fz-09 is a 4 valve motor. But no valve clearance checks until 42,000km? No way I would be so cavalier if it was my bike.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #465
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
I have direct experience with three different types of Yamaha 5 valve head bikes. In Oz for years the main benefit for the 5 valve cylinder bikes over their 4 valve cylinder competitors according to Yamaha marketing bumf has been extended valve clearance intervals of 42,000km or over double that of my Suzuki, Kawasaki & Hondas with 4 valve heads. As I enjoy maintenance I do my own valve clearance checks & checked my Yamahas on the same schedule as the other bikes & the Yamahas always needed reshimming every 20,0000km or so. Not to any greater extent than the other bikes, but enough to realise that 42,000km intervals are unwise.

The bike I needed to replace all the inlet valves on is a Yamaha TRX850 that I am the only owner of. The bike became hard to start from cold with a poor idle at 25,000km so I checked the valve clearances and all the inlets were tight enough to hold the inlets off the seats when cold, hence the hard starting. I reshimmed it and all was good. At 45,000km (yes the first check is due at 42,0000 but I had done the valves at 25,000Km) the same thing happened again. On checking the clearances Yamaha did not sell shims thin enough to reset the clearances so off came the head, thinking I had valve set recession but no the inlet valve stems had elongated - much cheaper fix. Even with the new inlet valves I check the clearances every 20,000km and usually need to adjust some shims each time. The bike now has 140,000 km on it so close to 100,000 on the new valves but now cam journal wear in the head is an issue, possibly fatal (for the bike!). The TRX is actually Yamahas first crossplane crank engine, being a parallel twin with 270 deg offset crank- pins to give a firing order the same as a 90 deg twin. The TRX was a niche model, but the engine was used in the 1996 on TDM850 which sold by the boatload in europe so if you want to confirm TRX/TDM top end problems do a web search. In spite of all that the TRX is a fantastic bike to ride & I have no regrets buying it.

With regards to riding style I am a sporting road rider, but all my bikes are well maintained & ridden in the same style. The TRX has done a few track days but not anywhere as many as my GS500 Suzuki, which in spite of having only 2 valves per cylinder, heavier valves & a higher rev limit has only had ONE SHIM changed in 120,000Km!

You may note that Yamaha have moved away from the 5 valve-head a its supposed advantages only ever appeared on paper, The FZ-01 & SuperTen the only bikes left now the TDM900 has got the axe. Even the R-1 & FZ-08 replaced their 5 valve heads with 4 valve heads on the same blocks. Excessive oil consumption & top end troubles dogged the design from the FZ750 on, so I am happy the Mt-09/Fz-09 is a 4 valve motor. But no valve clearance checks until 42,000km? No way I would be so cavalier if it was my bike.
Its interesting what you say as my own TDM900 needed no shims at 40000kms and dealer felt it never would. This sort of performance from these engines is backed up by my readings on the TDM forum.
Oil consumption on a TDM900 is zero while the earlier 850's were known for high consumption which was ok so long as you kept the oil up.
Perhaps running low oil caused your issues??
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote