Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #466
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Its interesting what you say as my own TDM900 needed no shims at 40000kms and dealer felt it never would. This sort of performance from these engines is backed up by my readings on the TDM forum.
Oil consumption on a TDM900 is zero while the earlier 850's were known for high consumption which was ok so long as you kept the oil up.
Perhaps running low oil caused your issues??
Owned the TRX from new & never run low on oil. Due to the somewhat oddball oil checking proceedure for the dry sump design of these engines many a TRX has been killed due to oil starvation if owners are not across what is needed. The usual result was either lunching mains or seizing cams in the head thus stripping the camchain drive teeth off the crank... ouch!

I concur with the TRX/TDM850 having a rep for high oil consumption. However it is not only the 850 twins that suffered. Other 5 valve per cylinder Yamahas in my orbit were IL4's & they did the same. This is primarily due to the extra side loadings on the 3 inlet valves, unlike a normal pair of inlets the three Yamaha inlets are not perpendicular to the camshaft, especially the centre valve & this gives stem seals a tough time. When I replaced my inlet valves I replaced all the stem seals & this helped for a while but the drinking started up again once the seals aged a frag. I did replace the rings when the head was off & the bores were in perfect nick so I know that the oil burn is coming from the stem seals.

Its often been wondered in the TRX community what Yamaha did with the TDM900 head to stop the oil burn, but it was necessary as the 900 had a catcon, unlike the 850 & oil burn kills cats real fast. A couple of TRX owners have tried to put a 900 engine in the TRX frame to get the 6 speed gearbox, but all the mounts & the countershaft sprocket offset is all wrong such is life. If you can snag a ride on a TRX you would be very surprised how different the two engines feel. The TDM900 is a smoothy but the TRX is an angry, coarse & aggressive beast. And faster too.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #467
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Owned the TRX from new & never run low on oil. Due to the somewhat oddball oil checking proceedure for the dry sump design of these engines many a TRX has been killed due to oil starvation if owners are not across what is needed. The usual result was either lunching mains or seizing cams in the head thus stripping the camchain drive teeth off the crank... ouch!

I concur with the TRX/TDM850 having a rep for high oil consumption. However it is not only the 850 twins that suffered. Other 5 valve per cylinder Yamahas in my orbit were IL4's & they did the same. This is primarily due to the extra side loadings on the 3 inlet valves, unlike a normal pair of inlets the three Yamaha inlets are not perpendicular to the camshaft, especially the centre valve & this gives stem seals a tough time. When I replaced my inlet valves I replaced all the stem seals & this helped for a while but the drinking started up again once the seals aged a frag. I did replace the rings when the head was off & the bores were in perfect nick so I know that the oil burn is coming from the stem seals.

Its often been wondered in the TRX community what Yamaha did with the TDM900 head to stop the oil burn, but it was necessary as the 900 had a catcon, unlike the 850 & oil burn kills cats real fast. A couple of TRX owners have tried to put a 900 engine in the TRX frame to get the 6 speed gearbox, but all the mounts & the countershaft sprocket offset is all wrong such is life. If you can snag a ride on a TRX you would be very surprised how different the two engines feel. The TDM900 is a smoothy but the TRX is an angry, coarse & aggressive beast. And faster too.
Great post. I hope that Yamaha takes a styling cue from the earlier TRX1200 and makes a TRX850 triple (in conjunction with and after the adventure tourer type they will release next year).
Tim
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #468
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
I'll be in for a used one someday but if they go as cheap with the rest of the bike as they did with that dash, maybe not...
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #469
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Question Charles Shultz's Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
I'll be in for a used one someday but if they go as cheap with the rest of the bike as they did with that dash, maybe not...
If the dash and non-adjustable suspension put you off (nevermind that's how they kept the price at $8,000...), you should buy a Street Triple. Then you can pay $10,500 - 12,500 for the standard or "r" model and I can still pass you laughing. Sayin'.
Posters (or posers?) wanting this to be something it's not amuse me. Tanks not big enough, nonadjustable suspension and digital dash? Really? And no one has even seen one in person or ridin' one yet. Like I say, amusing.
Tim
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #470
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
And no one has even seen one in person or ridin' one yet. Like I say, amusing.
What makes it even more amusing is that you think you can pass others on a bike that you haven't seen or ridden yet. Saying I wouldn't buy something because it doesn't have ABS, an adjustable suspension, a nice looking dash - totally valid. Your BS? Not quite.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #471
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
If the dash and non-adjustable suspension put you off (nevermind that's how they kept the price at $8,000...), you should buy a Street Triple. Then you can pay $10,500 - 12,500 for the standard or "r" model and I can still pass you laughing. Sayin'.
Posters (or posers?) wanting this to be something it's not amuse me. Tanks not big enough, nonadjustable suspension and digital dash? Really? And no one has even seen one in person or ridin' one yet. Like I say, amusing.
Tim
Gotta agree with ya on that. Millions of riders wordwide, and the percentage that can actually tell the difference in one level of suspension over another, as they ride to work or on a trip to grandma's house, is so minuscule, it's silly. Most of today's motorcycles will go faster and handle better than the vast majority of readers on this the best motorcycle forum on the interweb. I'm waiting to ride an 09, and have a feeling that it will be a blast.

BTW if ya take a look at F1 and MotoGP dashes, you will notice basically all digital readouts. A lot more information is available on a digi dash, and how many riders pay any attention to what the gauges are saying anyway....
Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #472
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Hmm, I had a Mk2 TDM. At 40,000ks all valves were within tolerance, at 80,000ks 3 valves needed shimming.

I currently own a Mk3 900, at 40,000ks 2 valves needed shimming. Just had 'em checked recently at 72,000ks as I was about to head off on a long trip, all within spec.

The Mk1 and Mk2 TDM's would use oil as they aged, although my Mk2 had 98,000ks on it when I sold it, and the oil use certainly wasn't excessive. My 900 has never used a drop of oil.

I wasn't aware Yamaha had stopped production of the TDM.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #473
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
If the dash and non-adjustable suspension put you off ....
Tim
Quote:
It will have adjustments for spring preload as well as rebound dampening. Out back the boys at Yamaha put a linked-type Monocross shock that is positioned below the seat for an almost completely horizontal alignment. This results in a slimmer design and a reduction in mass outrigging. The rear end will also feature adjustments for spring preload as well as rebound dampening, and give up 5.1 inches in it’s trek from top to bottom.
So is that non adjustable these days?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #474
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post

I wasn't aware Yamaha had stopped production of the TDM.
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produc...t/tdm900a.aspx

Looks like it is available in the UK, still. Never heard of it until this thread. Appears to be a good all around motorcycle...tp
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #475
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Fully adjustable suspension is seriously overrated. I feel like most people want it just for bragging rights about yet another feature of their motorcycle they will never use. Especially with modern twin spar aluminum frames, the suspension from the factory is so finely tuned any adjustment you make will probably do more harm then good.

If you are planning on taking a lot of weight, you will need to replace the suspension anyway, so it doesn't even matter if it comes with it from the factory or not. I think it's seriously a non-issue.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #476
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Fully adjustable suspension is seriously overrated. I feel like most people want it just for bragging rights about yet another feature of their motorcycle they will never use. Especially with modern twin spar aluminum frames, the suspension from the factory is so finely tuned any adjustment you make will probably do more harm then good.
You have obviously never enjoyed a really nice, adjustable aftermarket suspension. OEM suspension on lots of bikes today is absolutely awful.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 AM   #477
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Fully adjustable suspension is seriously overrated. I feel like most people want it just for bragging rights about yet another feature of their motorcycle they will never use. Especially with modern twin spar aluminum frames, the suspension from the factory is so finely tuned any adjustment you make will probably do more harm then good
Geting the suspension adjust for each individual rider is often a major improvment. The suspension is tuned for a certain weight and somtimes not fine tuned. Thers difference between the settings of a 130pound person and a 220pound.
If you dont know how to adjust the suspension then you can get a dealer to sett it up for you.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #478
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Geting the suspension adjust for each individual rider is often a major improvment. The suspension is tuned for a certain weight and somtimes not fine tuned. Thers difference between the settings of a 130pound person and a 220pound.
If you dont know how to adjust the suspension then you can get a dealer to sett it up for you.
++ 1.

Adjustable suspension IS required if you want to have the best ride and the best handling from the bike.The quality/implementation of the design is also very important, proper spring rates and valveing, along with the capability to make adjustments are key. The Triumph Street triple R and Daytona have perhaps the best OEM suspension on the market today.

Most riders have no idea what difference a proper suspension set up can make, and most simple don't now how to tune the suspension they have.

For me a well set up suspension is more important then the HP chase. As always YMMV.

Regards, Paul
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #479
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,774
All suspension is adjustable. Some just take a little more effort.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #480
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
All suspension is adjustable. Some just take a little more effort.
Exactly! Just rip it off, send it out to a great tuner and it is done better than OE. No problem.