Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #481
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Got a button on my R1200R to adjust suspension. Use it all the time, but would never do it if i had to stop and use tools for it.
Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #482
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbobs View Post
Got a button on my R1200R to adjust suspension. Use it all the time, but would never do it if i had to stop and use tools for it.
It's supposed to be done once, then just preload if you add or lose a
passenger.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #483
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Used once? On my R1200RT, ESA ll can be and is used on the fly all the time, by me. Changing from Comfort on long smooth runs to Sport when in twisties. The feel of the change is instantaneous.

For Preload, one up, with luggage, and two up, settings, the bike must be stopped. I ride one up, but have it set at two up for a less mushy feel in the comfort mode....
Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #484
thisisbenji
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
If the dash and non-adjustable suspension put you off (nevermind that's how they kept the price at $8,000...), you should buy a Street Triple. Then you can pay $10,500 - 12,500 for the standard or "r" model and I can still pass you laughing. Sayin'.
Posters (or posers?) wanting this to be something it's not amuse me. Tanks not big enough, nonadjustable suspension and digital dash? Really? And no one has even seen one in person or ridin' one yet. Like I say, amusing.
Tim
I for one am excited about the price, I could care less about the adjustably. I mostly ride my bikes as commuters and don't have really anywhere to push the suspension to the limits. This bike looks the part in the suspension department and that what counts in my mind. I might actually end up picking one of these up in a few years.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #485
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
There is a good four page article in the July issue of Bike (from the UK but on many US newsstands) on the new Yamaha MT/FZ 09 and it is titled "Triumph's Worst Nightmare"....like many here they think it will likely be a great bike at a very attractive price if it is as good as it appears to be....a strong statement from a British magazine that is understandably pro Triumph in general (I am too, own a Triumph triple and love it but plan to buy a Yamaha myself if it meets expectations)

victor441 screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 08:44 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #486
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Used once? On my R1200RT, ESA ll can be and is used on the fly all the time, by me. Changing from Comfort on long smooth runs to Sport when in twisties. The feel of the change is instantaneous.

For Preload, one up, with luggage, and two up, settings, the bike must be stopped. I ride one up, but have it set at two up for a less mushy feel in the comfort mode....
I was talking about bikes with regular adjustable suapension.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #487
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

I understand now. derbobs was referring to ESA, so was I. Several makes now use electronically adjustable suspension. Expensive, but nice to have... tp dd50
Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #488
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I was talking about bikes with regular adjustable suapension.
I adjust mine depending on what/where/how I'm going to ride. It's so easy once you have a good base setting, I don't know why I wouldn't do it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #489
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I posted on Yamaha USA's Facebook the other day.

I wrote
"Just so you guys know, there is a ton of interest over at ADV rider for an adventure version of your new triple."

They wrote back
"Just so you know, there is a ton of interest here at Yamaha for an adventure version of our new triple."

Guess that is a good sign.
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #490
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post

I wrote
"Just so you guys know, there is a ton of interest over at ADV rider for an adventure version of your new triple."

They wrote back
"Just so you know, there is a ton of interest here at Yamaha for an adventure version of our new triple."

TDM!

Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #491
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
What makes it even more amusing is that you think you can pass others on a bike that you haven't seen or ridden yet. Saying I wouldn't buy something because it doesn't have ABS, an adjustable suspension, a nice looking dash - totally valid. Your BS? Not quite.
I know it is roughly the same weight and more cc's, h.p. and torque...hence, validizing my point. Nevermind, it's 2 - 4,000 dollars cheaper, hence I could spend more on tuning, track day or 2 and be able to do what I said. I guess none of this occured to you. Your BS? Not quite. Huh Francis?
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #492
tokyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
FZ09 Uly Love child

Here is a super quick and dirty, 5 minute, PowerPoint, hackjob, photo kluge (don't look too close.. it gets worse, I have no illusions of photoshop grandeur) of what I would like of the more-streety version of the ADV model, like the non-XC Tiger. I basically grafted on the front of a Uly and gave it a ~3" or so lift. Wanted to see what it would look like and just thought I would share.

I have a street legal Husaberg FE570 that covers all my dirt and even most paved trips within 50 mile radius very nicely, but I need something that can cover longer 200 mile loops, an occaisional 2-up, gravel connecting roads, commuting, and still have some hooligan fun. With a little more suspension travel, some Pirelli MT-60's and a skid plate the 65lb/ft and 414 lbs of the FZ-09 on paper sounds like it would fit the bill.

I know others want more dirt, that wouldn't bother me either but this would be good enough to fulfill my needs for now and someone else with better photoshop skills can tackle those versions. Like maybe a KTM Super Enduro / FZ09 love child? I think that was actually like 425lbs dry maybe? So weight wise already looking good..

I was cross shopping a Versys because its cheap and a Tiger800 because its what I want. Something like this could be a great compromise. As long as it doesn't get hit with the "anime plastic" ugly stick along the way..

Please keep it clean Yamaha.. please..

Excited to hear that Yamaha "has lots of interest in an ADV model based on the new triple" Lets hope for some news in the fall maybe!

Anyway.. for what its worth.. which is equal to about what you paid for it.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #493
lewi
dreamer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post

I wrote

They wrote back

i like the way where this is going!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #494
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Tokyo, that looks a lot like a Versys, just not quite as ugly...Guess we will have to see what Yamaha comes up with, for our riding pleasure...tomp
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #495
Colorado_Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo View Post
Here is a super quick and dirty, 5 minute, PowerPoint, hackjob, photo kluge (don't look too close.. it gets worse, I have no illusions of photoshop grandeur) of what I would like of the more-streety version of the ADV model, like the non-XC Tiger. I basically grafted on the front of a Uly and gave it a ~3" or so lift. Wanted to see what it would look like and just thought I would share.

I have a street legal Husaberg FE570 that covers all my dirt and even most paved trips within 50 mile radius very nicely, but I need something that can cover longer 200 mile loops, an occaisional 2-up, gravel connecting roads, commuting, and still have some hooligan fun. With a little more suspension travel, some Pirelli MT-60's and a skid plate the 65lb/ft and 414 lbs of the FZ-09 on paper sounds like it would fit the bill.

I know others want more dirt, that wouldn't bother me either but this would be good enough to fulfill my needs for now and someone else with better photoshop skills can tackle those versions. Like maybe a KTM Super Enduro / FZ09 love child? I think that was actually like 425lbs dry maybe? So weight wise already looking good..

I was cross shopping a Versys because its cheap and a Tiger800 because its what I want. Something like this could be a great compromise. As long as it doesn't get hit with the "anime plastic" ugly stick along the way..

Please keep it clean Yamaha.. please..

Excited to hear that Yamaha "has lots of interest in an ADV model based on the new triple" Lets hope for some news in the fall maybe!

Anyway.. for what its worth.. which is equal to about what you paid for it.

I don't think I've ever had so much fun riding a bike just by looking at it
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote